ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-10-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

Thumbs up Rear Reflector and bumper removal

After a week of the dan’s decal applied to the rear, I couldn’t stand the red light still shining through whenever light comes on (which is 70% of the time, this time of the year). They look like a really bad tint job and the red light shine through unevenly. I searched the various forums and couldn’t find any instruction on removing the rear bumper (there’re a few for front bumper removal DIY) so I decided to document this to help the others to do this in the future.

I tried various methods suggested through my search and found the best way to disconnect them.

Methods tried:

1) Use suction cup – I can’t use this method since I already have the decal on; however, seeing how snug it is after I remove the bumper, one might have a hard time lining them up when reinstall them. Some members used this method and worked for them. So turn Counter-Clock wise if you decided to use this method.

2) From under the bumper – waited til the exhaust is cold and there’re indeed enough room to get to the reflectors; however, I can touch it but no way to leverage any force to turn. It was so tight in there.

3) Remove just the wheel liner – This is quick; however, it’s so tight in there. You can see it, feel it, touch it but not enough room put any force to unplug and to secure/wrap the connector neatly.

4) Remove the Rear bumper – This is the easiest, least time consuming and the right/sure way in my opinion.

Disclaimer: – Do this at your risk. The DIY doesn’t guarantee or imply any accuracy or responsible for anyone/anything.

Ease of this DIY: 2 out of 10
Time: 15 mins if you done it before and 30 mins if you take your time.
Side Effects: NONE. No warning light on the dash

Rear Bumper Removal

1) Jack up the car so you have room to get to the rivets
2) There are 3 rivets each side and one 8mm hex screw at the bottom that holds the bumper.(The other hex secures the heat shield) I used needle pliers to pop the top insert out carefully.

Wheel Liner Expanding Rivets

3) Four 8mm hex screw b/w the two exhaust

Underside shot of rear bumper

That’s all the fasteners you need to remove.

4) Pull with some force on one side of the bumper. There are THREE catches on the top edge. If you can get your fingers in behind the bumper cover after loosen up the wheel liner, you’ll be able to feel the catches.

5) There are SIX catches on the top edge of the bumper. If you lift the bumper up from the bottom center after you loosen both sides, it comes right out.

Top shot of Rear bumper

6) Unplug the rear reflectors connectors and wrap them with electric tape and secure them.

7) Reinstall in reverse step.

Rear Reflector Shot

ENJOY
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Wonder if this will be close for a coupe also....
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert settings
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #3
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitch View Post
Wonder if this will be close for a coupe also....
Check here:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...61&hg=51&fg=17

They have the same part number; so it should be identical.

The 3 catches on the side of the bumper is #7 in the above link
The 6 catches on the center of the top of the bumper is #6 in the link
Appreciate 0