ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-05-2010, 03:26 AM   #1
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Bendix / Axxis Brake Pads (Zero Dust)

Just made the change to Bendix General CT brake pads (in the U.S. they are known as Axxis Deluxe - made by FMP Group which is the same company), front and rear.

The OEM brake dust was so irritating, the frustration of always having to clean my wheels after short trips was driving me crazy.

When you work so hard to keep everything spotless and clean, then after about only 50km of easy driving the wheels used to look like they hadn't been washed for a week!

Now with the new pads there is no dust at all. Unbelievable.

Performance for my street driving is unchanged. I wish I had done this earlier.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
I agree about the Axxis Deluxe.

They have been on my wife's Roadster for the last two years. Almost no dust at all.

I would have put them on the MC but they would disintegrate on the track...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 09:36 AM   #3
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

will switching brake pads also require a swap of the brake pad wear sensors?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 09:44 AM   #4
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Not unless they are worn or faulty.

Unless your brake pads have worn down to the point where the wear sensors start to wear (contact the rotor) then they are reused.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
I agree about the Axxis Deluxe.

They have been on my wife's Roadster for the last two years. Almost no dust at all.

I would have put them on the MC but they would disintegrate on the track...
Yes, they were designed and are marketed to be a street brake pad with zero to very low dust and for that purpose they are fantastic.

Honestly, my vehicle's bodywork gets dirtier than my wheels from driving in perfect conditions.

Brake pad technology is essentially a compromise. The more aggressive a pad is, the more it will wear and hence the more dust that will be produced as a consequence.

A low dust race brake pad that will endure extreme track temperatures does not exist.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 06:06 PM   #6
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

not as good as axxis ultimate though, right ? in terms of fade resistance..
      12-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #7
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
not as good as axxis ultimate though, right ? in terms of fade resistance..
Bendix offer the 'Ultimate' series of brake pad in Australia too and while it is developed more for performance driving the same compromises exist.

They dust more than the General CT / Deluxe range of pads. However the 'Ultimate' range still offer lower dust than BMW OEM pads.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 06:31 PM   #8
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

i've noticed in-between my weekly washes that the front set of wheels gets significantly dirtier than the rear set of wheels, and have been getting some squealing when applying the brakes very gently at slow speeds right before coming to a stop.

when i apply the brakes with the car in forward motion, do all four brakes apply or only the front pads?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 06:40 PM   #9
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4gs View Post
i've noticed in-between my weekly washes that the front set of wheels gets significantly dirtier than the rear set of wheels, and have been getting some squealing when applying the brakes very gently at slow speeds right before coming to a stop.

when i apply the brakes with the car in forward motion, do all four brakes apply or only the front pads?
This is perfectly normal.

The front brakes do the majority of the braking so naturally there will always be more dust on the front wheels.

All four brakes will still be working when you press the brake pedal.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 06:59 PM   #10
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Hmmm...didn't know they made a version for the MCoupe. I will definitely put a set of the Axxis Deluxe on the coupe once my "free maintenance" expire in a couple of years. I have these Axxis Deluxe on my X5 and love them. I drive the MC for a week and the wheels are dirtier than my X5's wheel after driving it a month! The Axxis wears better than the OEM as well. I used to change pads on my X5 every 25K to 30K miles or so, but these Axxis looks to last a lot longer. After about 20K miles, the pads still looks brand new!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 08:56 PM   #11
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

since most "performance" pads still fade on the track, would it be better to replace oem pads with Deluxe, and then using racetrack pads for track driving? I drive pretty fast on the streets, but not enough to get any fade from the stock pads... Or are the Deluxe pads not as grippy/fade resistant as oem?
      12-05-2010, 10:31 PM   #12
Thisisdudewhoru
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM 340i

The question I wanna know is if the deluxe perform as well as the stocks?
      12-05-2010, 11:05 PM   #13
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
since most "performance" pads still fade on the track, would it be better to replace oem pads with Deluxe, and then using racetrack pads for track driving? I drive pretty fast on the streets, but not enough to get any fade from the stock pads... Or are the Deluxe pads not as grippy/fade resistant as oem?
If you track your vehicle I strongly believe you need two sets of pads. You cannot effectively get by with only one. It is too much of a compromise.

The Axxis pads do not offer as much initial bite as the OEM pads and you have to use slightly more pressure but after one week of driving I am used to the change that I don't even notice it anymore.

To me they feel more progressive than the OEM pads and linear in their response when you come to a stop and also they do not have that OEM grabby touchy feel to them.

The Axiss Deluxe pads are rated to up to 716°F, similar to BMW OEM pads. You should never come close to pushing them to their limits on the street. Their zero to low dust is their major selling point with no negatives that I have seen.

Axxis claim their Deluxe pads emit less that half the dust that their ULT (Ultimate pads) which are rated to 932°F or their XBG (Metal Masters) pads. Both of which are already considered very low dust by many compared to BMW OEM pads.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 11:15 PM   #14
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

hmmm hmmm, great point/tips

my wheels are a BITCH to wash, all those damn spokes...
      01-03-2011, 03:40 AM   #15
santov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige

Quote:
Wow, your MR looks great in that color with those wheels. I detailed the wheels on my 3.0si. They have a crapload of wholes for the bolt heads. I was there for hours with a nylon brush!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #16
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Quote:

Haha. Go gunmetal so you don't have to wash them as often! (but I don't know how good a gunmetal wheel would go w/ bronze)

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #17
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by esqu1re View Post
Haha. Go gunmetal so you don't have to wash them as often! (but I don't know how good a gunmetal wheel would go w/ bronze)
I thought about it, but it would get "lost" in the bronze

Thanks Santov
      01-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #18
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by santov View Post
Wow, your MR looks great in that color with those wheels. I detailed the wheels on my 3.0si. They have a crapload of wholes for the bolt heads. I was there for hours with a nylon brush!
thanks! here's a stylized shot

01-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #19
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Try this brush. I have two of them they work so well...

http://www.autogeek.net/ezdebrfca.html
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #20
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

I already have 3 tools for cleaning wheels, all suck. that autogeek one looks great, but... damn $30 for a brush... Maybe I'll get it in the spring

edit: I also see several reviewers say that its too big for small spokes + can break after 1 year.

Last edited by ZStig; 01-03-2011 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #21
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

I ran the Axxis Ultimates for a season (2005) on my ZHP including a couple of HPDE's. Excellent operating range vs. OE and easier to modulate - not a track pad however. Very little dust. A great pad for most applications.

Dave Zeckhausen recommended the StopTech Street Performance pads. I ran them last season including three HPDE's. Very easy to modulate, low dust and far better fade resistance then the OE pads.

inTgr8r ran the Cool Carbons at the same HPDE's and on the street and was equally impressed.

WRT Brake Dust. I am simply blown away with ArmorAll's Wheel Protectant ArmorAll did a demo for us at a trade show prior to it's release; paint, honey etc. literally falls right off the wheels. I didn't wash my wheels once last year until I put the car away. Large clumps and strands of rubber from the track fall right off.

http://www.armorall.com/products/vie...gory_index=new
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #22
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

I should add; I don't drive the M in the rain (unless I have to) so the ArmorAll product lasted all summer with one application.
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM

Last edited by Caddyshk; 01-03-2011 at 05:06 PM..
Appreciate 0