BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-03-2010, 08:18 AM   #1
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

2.0D Auto Test Drive

Test drove the F25 X3 2.0D with Auto transmission today and here are some thoughts (bear in mind I drive a 520D with manual transmission).

The interior is very well built and quite spacious but somehow seemed small (perhaps snug is a better description), head room is good.

Materials are on a par with my E60 5 series and the seats very comfortable.

The design of the dashboard seems wrong with clashing lines and joints that seem to catch your eye (no such clashing lines on the E60 or new X5 and I only really noticed this when driving).

Car had Oyster leather with contrast stiching and dark wave wood which looked good, the front seats were standard one but I prefer the sports seats.

Once my sons car seat was in place in the rear, space was tight (1 adult, 1 child and a car seat would be max, 2 adults and car seat no way!)

Legroom in rear is fine behind drivers seat (I am 6' tall and it was more than comformtable for me in front and rear)

Engine noise is pretty good from interior considering aggricultral 2.0 diesel tones (better than my E60), acceleration was again impressive (doesnt match E60 when cruising at 70+ mph on motorway and seemed to run out of puff) but from a standing start was fine.

Slid on icy side roads a couple of times (my driving) and handled steep hill with snow/ice no problem, also held normal damp roads very well.

The raised driving position was good and the car didnt feel top heavy compared to E60.

I was overall impressed but somehow felt a anti-climax, not sure what I expected but something seemed missing.

Still very much looking forward to my new F25 X3 (but change from E60 saloon might take some getting use to).
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
The design of the dashboard seems wrong with clashing lines and joints that seem to catch your eye (no such clashing lines on the E60 or new X5 and I only really noticed this when driving).

I was overall impressed but somehow felt a anti-climax, not sure what I expected but something seemed missing.
I haven't test drove one yet but I agree, when I saw the demo model on display, the dash was one of my negatives about the design. It almost feels like 2 sections jammed together rather than one continuous layout/flow like in both the X1 and X5 which I prefer.... wish they would have at least smoothed out that top line of the dash all the way across.

After seeing that demo model, I too left there feeling not as excited as I thought I would I guess, however, the model I saw was a pre-production model so I'm holding out till they get some loaded X3's that I can test drive before I can really make a final judgement on this vehicle. Still the pluses greatly outweigh any negatives I have for this car so far. Also, it probably didn't help the fact that I sat in my friend's brand new X5 he just got ealier that morning before going to see the new X3

Thanks for your review
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabian View Post
I agree, when I saw the demo model on display, the dash was one of my negatives about the design. It almost feels like 2 sections jammed together rather than one continuous layout/flow like in both the I haven't X1 and X5 which I prefer.... wish they would have at least smoothed out that top line of the dash all the way across.
Thats exactly what I meant!

The photos online dont really show the jammed together bits

The other thing I remember now is that the rear window looked very small in the rear view mirror (compared to E60) and I think that was one of the things that made the car seem small (dont worry it isnt small)
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 06:49 PM   #4
MPK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Mazda3

Great review!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
....acceleration was again impressive (doesnt match E60 when cruising at 70+ mph on motorway and seemed to run out of puff) but from a standing start was fine.
At highway speed (say, +74mph) does the engine acclearate OK? Does the engine take some going to get above this speed?

I will be doing alot of highway driving and want to make sure it has adequate pickup at high-speeds.

Cheers,
MPK
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 04:09 AM   #5
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK View Post
At highway speed (say, +74mph) does the engine acclearate OK? Does the engine take some going to get above this speed?

I will be doing alot of highway driving and want to make sure it has adequate pickup at high-speeds.
Accelerating onto the motorway and up to 88mph to join traffic (back to the future!!) was swift and effortless (dont tell the rozzaz, motorway limit is 70mph), felt like a normal car rather than a SUV.

Having read a review about a lack of puff when crusing I let the car cruise at 70mph they slowly put my foot down, whilst it did pick up straight away it seemed to have a slight lack of power and run out of puff, tried the same in my manual E60 520D on the way home and it definatley had better pick up (dont forget all my comments have been based on a comparrison with my current ride 520d with what I suppose is the 1st generation of the same engine but with manual transmission)

My best advice is your own test drive (please dont be put of by my observations or that of the industry press who I guess are used to testing cars twice the value and performance of the 2.0d - each to their own)

What is your current ride?

Im convinced the X3 2.0d will fine for me (an SUV might ease my heavy right foot and the temptation to jockey position with the young bucks and sales reps).

I will definatley have another test drive in a couple of weeks and the more I think about it the more I look forward to the change again after the slight anti-climax yesterday.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 07:39 AM   #6
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

I suppose you are used to the throttle and turbo lag, but how bad is it and how does it compare to the 520d?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 08:13 AM   #7
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
I suppose you are used to the throttle and turbo lag, but how bad is it and how does it compare to the 520d?
From a standing start the X3 wins handsdown vs my E60, the 8 speed auto is great, as said above it just seems a little underpowered at the top end.

The 2.0d is a very good engine with excellent mpg and running costs, you tend to learn how to drive the engine and rarely feel the turbo lag (I think you might struggle with it compared to your M3 though!!!)
Appreciate 0