E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Tail/Headlight Film

11-28-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
sn0pea
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black 325i 2006

Tail/Headlight Film

Has anybody used or heard of anyone using this product for their taillights or headlights?
http://www.lamin-x.com/BMW-E90-Sedan...m#ReviewHeader
Does it work alright? Easy to apply? Any problems?
Comment
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn0pea View Post
Has anybody used or heard of anyone using this product for their taillights or headlights?
Comment
Don't do it to yourself. Not only does it make the car look ghetto, the tails are a PAIN IN THE ASS to remove, should you ever want to. The headlights went after 2 months for me- hitting all those potholes at night was just not worth it on my 19s. Mod your car in any other way, but I would personally skip the lamin-X, just speaking from experience of someone who had gunsmoke tails and heads. You'll start missing your nice bright headlights a few weeks or months into it, and then they'll come right off faster than a dress on prom night. If you insist upon doing anything like that, just gunsmoke the tails.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
sn0pea
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDeFranco1 View Post
Don't do it to yourself. Not only does it make the car look ghetto, the tails are a PAIN IN THE ASS to remove, should you ever want to. The headlights went after 2 months for me- hitting all those potholes at night was just not worth it on my 19s. Mod your car in any other way, but I would personally skip the lamin-X, just speaking from experience of someone who had gunsmoke tails and heads. You'll start missing your nice bright headlights a few weeks or months into it, and then they'll come right off faster than a dress on prom night. If you insist upon doing anything like that, just gunsmoke the tails.
Correct me if I am wrong but can't I apply the film with the taillights still installed in the car? I was thinking tinting the headlights would be a bad idea, but maybe just getting 6% on headlights.
Do you think 6% is a noticeable enough difference in the taillights? Or should I go with the 12% gunsmoke? I have never tinted any part of my car so I'm not sure what it would look like.
Does anyone know what tint % blacklines are?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 08:04 PM   #4
wchoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 AW e90 335i

Oem blacklines arnt really tinted that much they use a black housing which helps the plastic give off a tinted look.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

Quote:
Comment
i used yellow on my fogs. took about 15 minutes in total to apply.

on first application, it looked like complete crap. smudgemarks and air bubbles everywhere.

two weeks went by and the film is now 99% perfect.

in short, yes, they're very easy to apply. pretty tough to screw these up as long as you don't have any folds and you align everything correctly.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #6
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
I tinted my headlights with generic tint film from stickercity.com I got the light smoke and do not have visibility problems. The light output is the same. I also installed while the headlights were still on the car....with soapy water.

They look really dark in pictures but it's not too much in person.

[IMG]http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww146/*********/Vinyl%20Crazy/IMG_0090-1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww146/*********/Vinyl%20Crazy/IMG_0102.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww146/*********/Vinyl%20Crazy/IMG_0111.jpg[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #7
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
i have them on my headlights + fogs... works fine

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 10:05 PM   #8
sn0pea
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
I tinted my headlights with generic tint film from stickercity.com I got the light smoke and do not have visibility problems. The light output is the same. I also installed while the headlights were still on the car....with soapy water.

They look really dark in pictures but it's not too much in person.

[IMG]http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww146/*********/Vinyl%20Crazy/IMG_0111.jpg[/IMG]
What tint % did you get on your headlights?

And I see in that picture you bought the reflector covers. How do you like them? do they look out of place? Also where did you buy yours from?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 07:48 AM   #9
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong but can't I apply the film with the taillights still installed in the car? I was thinking tinting the headlights would be a bad idea, but maybe just getting 6% on headlights.
Do you think 6% is a noticeable enough difference in the taillights? Or should I go with the 12% gunsmoke? I have never tinted any part of my car so I'm not sure what it would look like.
Does anyone know what tint % blacklines are?
I got them professionally applied by a tinting place in Garwood NJ (simplytint or something like that.) The tails looked great, and gunsmoke was fine- a nice deep red on the tails. Never got a hassle from the cops. I had the headlights too. Fdriller's headlights would be the RIGHT way to do it. It's light enough and looks very clean on a white car. Mine were too dark at gunsmoke level and they dissipated my xenons to the point I could barely see at night with them. I just got tired of them and ripped them off. FDriller, what is your experience? Do you have xenons?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 08:02 AM   #10
sn0pea
Captain
Rep

I do have xenons on my car but I have a black car. I think I have decided to go with gunsmoke 12% on the tails and just do a light 6% on the headlights.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 09:45 AM   #11
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Sounds good. The tails will look fine, trust me. Smart move to do the tails lighter. They'll also protect the headlights from road hazards as an added bonus
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #12
BimmerRob
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: F36 435i xDrive

I got my tail light tints from lamin-x. had to use a heat gun due to the wrap-around taillights of the e92. It wasn't hard, and it looks great. 12% gunsmoked on a mojave metallic

2010 e92 Mojave Metallic - farewell old friend /2013
2015 435i xDrive Gran Coupe Sparkling Brown | Cocaine White interior | JB4 | BMS Intake | Wagner Intercooler Evo I | VRSF Downpipes | ER Chargepipes
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 01:57 PM   #13
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
i had them on the complete car for 24hrs before ripping them off. my advise is to get the lightest tint all around. mine looked to ghetto for me i like the car much better without any tint. install was somewhat easy make sure you have a hair dryer but dont heat the film too much or it will stretch and watch the diy video on their website.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 02:01 PM   #14
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocklanders View Post
i had them on the complete car for 24hrs before ripping them off. my advise is to get the lightest tint all around. mine looked to ghetto for me i like the car much better without any tint. install was somewhat easy make sure you have a hair dryer but dont heat the film too much or it will stretch and watch the diy video on their website.
Same thing here. Best and worst mod ever.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 02:25 PM   #15
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
What tint % did you get on your headlights?

And I see in that picture you bought the reflector covers. How do you like them? do they look out of place? Also where did you buy yours from?
There wasn't a %....it was called light smoke on www.stickercity.com

The amber reflector covers we custom made. I made a template with a piece of paper and traced it out of 3M CF Di-NOC vinyl.

I only tinted my headlights so the amber covers blended in better. When I first applied the tint, I thought it was too dark. It has grown on me since and all the compliments here on the forum and in person have pushed me to keep them like that.

Quote:
I got them professionally applied by a tinting place in Garwood NJ (simplytint or something like that.) The tails looked great, and gunsmoke was fine- a nice deep red on the tails. Never got a hassle from the cops. I had the headlights too. Fdriller's headlights would be the RIGHT way to do it. It's light enough and looks very clean on a white car. Mine were too dark at gunsmoke level and they dissipated my xenons to the point I could barely see at night with them. I just got tired of them and ripped them off. FDriller, what is your experience? Do you have xenons?
Yes I have factory xenons. I don't notice any decreased output and I can see fine at night.

Irrelevant, but I had one of the D1S bulbs replaced and now one is whitish and the other the regular 4300k color (blueish, white, you know stock lol it's hard to explain). It's not totally noticable but I would like to eventually swap the bulbs so they have the same run time/color output.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 02:28 PM   #16
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
You know what....I provided the wrong site. My bad.

I ordered from www.metrodecals.com

Here's the link:

http://www.metrodecals.com/store/htm...s-Film-63.html

I've order vinyl from so many different places I got confused lol.

BTW, what do you guys think about using the dark smoke on fogs? Or should I stick with light smoke?

I also want to wrap my side markers in matte white vinyl I have laying around. I was thinking I could stretch it so thin that it looks matte white when off, and blinks amber when I use the turn signal.....Yea or no? Right now they are smoked with the same film I used for my headlights.

Also if you guys are in the Philly/North Jersey area, I would be more than happy to help install.

Last edited by fdriller9; 11-29-2010 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 05:53 PM   #17
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
I used the Lamin-X 20mil CLEAR on my headlights as I only wanted to protect them from scratches/pits due to debris.

Used the Light Smoke on my Fogs and Tailights. The light smoke is noticeable on the fogs but does not hinder the light output noticeably. Light smoke also worked well on the tails - not too dark & lighting is still very visible, but it is evident that the tails are smoked.

Install of fogs was EZ, headlights a leetle more difficult, & the tails were the hardest. If you follow the instructions, keep the housings wet with water as you are applying, work from one end to the other starting in middle and working film out to the edges you will have no problems.

I did this in summer when car was hot and let the film lay out to warm also so it would be more flexible.

Just make sure you don't leave any large bubbles in the film - very small ones will come out after setting in the sun for about 2 weeks and you'll never know they were there.

I used Lamin-X on my wifes G6 GT Vert headlights also & they are huge - still no problems.

I would suggest starting with the fogs to get the hang of how to apply.
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 06:16 AM   #18
VWPops
Rep
Drives: 2006 325 XI

I always laugh when I read about individuals installing imitation Lamin-x product. Anyway, I've ran their product for protection against the elements on all my cars for years. The colored options are just an added bonus.

On our E90 I did Optic Blue on my headlights and then Tint on my tails. Oh.. I also cut some red to cover up the edges of the white back up lights and installed tint then over the top.

Their service has always been top notch too for what it's worth! I will continue to order from them in the future and am 100% satisfied.

Here is a pic of the red on the tails. This was before the tint was installed.

Last edited by VWPops; 11-30-2010 at 06:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 07:51 AM   #19
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
You know what....I provided the wrong site. My bad.

I ordered from www.metrodecals.com

Here's the link:

http://www.metrodecals.com/store/htm...s-Film-63.html

I've order vinyl from so many different places I got confused lol.

BTW, what do you guys think about using the dark smoke on fogs? Or should I stick with light smoke?

I also want to wrap my side markers in matte white vinyl I have laying around. I was thinking I could stretch it so thin that it looks matte white when off, and blinks amber when I use the turn signal.....Yea or no? Right now they are smoked with the same film I used for my headlights.

Also if you guys are in the Philly/North Jersey area, I would be more than happy to help install.
IMO, light for fogs. Match your headlights bro, besides you'd want the front end as bright as possible. Just my opinion though
The matte vinyl sounds cool, but I would have to see an example in practice.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 03:56 PM   #20
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
IMO, light for fogs. Match your headlights bro, besides you'd want the front end as bright as possible. Just my opinion though
The matte vinyl sounds cool, but I would have to see an example in practice.
I decided to do it. Took about 15 minutes but I'm not sure if I like it.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460328
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 10:33 AM   #21
BlueLion
she likes the flavor......
United_States
Rep
Drives: A51-E92

Garage List
2022 X3MC  [0.00]
ive got the laminx on my tails....it looks good and was a pain to put on. I would do it again.

E92 Montego Blue silfa718 ..::STETT CAI|ADVAN RS|WAGNER FMIC|MS DP|VANGUARD|PROCEDE|FORGE DV|BMS OCC|KWV2|MICHELIN PSS|OOS::..

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 04:41 PM   #22
OAKernie
www.oakapparelco.com
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 08 Jet Black e90

anyone have the yellow film on their fogs?

thoughts, comments or pics
Appreciate 0