ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > USA - California
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-27-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Who'd I Meet @ Laguna Seca Today?

Just got back a few hours ago from track day @ Laguna Seca with NCRC. Met two Z4M owners there:
An imola red on red Z4MR, owner's name was Chun was it?
And a silver gray on black Z4MC, owner's name was Shawn.

Nice meeting you guys. Hope to see you at more track days. You guys attending the Dec. 31st NCRC Laguna day?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 12:35 AM   #2
CalRick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 & '95 M3 tracktoy ;

Garage List
2016 X3 Xdrive28d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
I was planning on stopping by and checking out NCRC on our way out of town yesterday (didn't bring the track car on this trip) but it was raining too hard when we drove by (i.e. too hard for wife to be interested in checking out the junk shop while I checked out the track org....) I haven't run with them before - how are they to work with? Are their groups packed up too much - their price is good, but not of things are too crowded with too much speed/experience disparity in the groups. I'm thinking of doing the Dec 31 event to finish off the year right if everything works out.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 01:53 AM   #3
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

This was my second time running with NCRC, and I've already signed up for the Dec. 31st event (SUPER CHEAP!!!)
I'm really enjoying NCRC's management and personal feel that they are very professional. The event coordinators are always available for help, and they communicate flawlessly. They make it a very important goal to have every customer play to their heart's content in a safe environment; and to go home happy and in one piece.
I've only ever run their "solo" group since I haven't quite made their 8 track events minimum quite yet for the next group up, which is "point-by", but I'm only one track day off from eligibility; though I'm thinking about going back down actually, to instructor/beginner groups because I want to further progress my driving potential by receiving feedback from any and all instructors I can find
As for their "solo" group, passing is supposed to only be on the straightaways, and only with a mandatory point-by. I have seen complete beginners to more experienced drivers that are out there for the seat time, and don't mind sharing the track with like-minded enthusiasts, even if they do drive at a slower pace. So it really depends on your luck and your personal experience/skill. But all in all, if you ever run into any issues, NCRC will be very obliged to help

Bottom line, I love their prices, and I love their dedication. Two thumbs up from me

I've personally run with NASA, Trackmasters/PCA, a private (acquaintance) host, and now NCRC.

I would go with NASA for their getting started in the sport/hobby, but would go elsewhere after developing some basic skills due to their higher prices.

Trackmasters/PCA was decent, but they tend to be stuck-up individuals from what I've experience. These guys are pretty fast for the most part, but they also tend to own some nicer higher-end cars and that always comes with ego in the form of reluctance to point you by if you're in an otherwise inferior car, etc.

Trackmasters' communication sucks though. Even after you send in your payment and registration for an event, you'll be lucky to get a confirmation e-mail. And you'd think that they'd follow up at least the week prior to the event, but no. They kind of leave you hanging. And I've tried calling in before. Fat chance. It just seems they're run by very few people, who happen to have day jobs as well.

NCRC however, doesn't seem to have this problem. They're probably run by only a few people as well, however, they provide professionalism in communicating with you and making sure that you feel much better about the services that you're paying for.

Price-wise, NASA is the most expensive, followed by Trackmasters/PCA, and NCRC comes in at the cheapest.

I'm not sure if I would try any other hosts, considering NCRC offers bargain rates for my favorite track (Laguna Seca), and they book this track many times during the year, which is a huge plus for me. If any other host can beat their pricing and their professionalism, then I might give them a try. But I highly doubt it
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

haha I guess the guys I met @ Laguna aren't on this forum much. They said they were members, but I didn't write down their aliases or anything
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
CalRick
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thanks for the heads up on NCRC - I signed up for the point-by group on the 31st. It's always good to get some more instruction along the way (I'm heading out there next week again for a little more seattime with Skip Barber.) I see that NCRC offers instruction in the higher groups for an extra fee which would be worth considering when the novice/driving school group is too slowpaced but still you want/need the instruction. That's why I still like the BMWCCA schools - tho more expensive, they offer a very good level of instruction to all their groups along with some useful classroom sessions.

Look forward to seeing you (and any others,) out there on New Years Eve.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 12:50 AM   #6
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Yay, can't wait for another fun day @ track
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 11:08 PM   #7
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

There's always and alpine white Z4MC when I go to Laguna Seca for track day. Saw it again today. I think it's one of the NCRC personnel's car?

I also saw two different Z4M's today. One was a black roadster, and the other was a black coupe
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
CalRick
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
I've seen the black coupe at a couple of other events there. Saw the white coupe over by the classroom but never saw it out on the track. I saw your car parked between sessions but never ran into you when you were there. I was over in the garages (wife liked the idea of more shelter) but didn't bring the M up on this trip - the e36 track car is a bit friendlier to weeklong holiday travelling. They put on a good event and I'll probably do another one when it fits the schedule. Thanks for the heads up on NCRC!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #9
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalRick View Post
I've seen the black coupe at a couple of other events there. Saw the white coupe over by the classroom but never saw it out on the track. I saw your car parked between sessions but never ran into you when you were there. I was over in the garages (wife liked the idea of more shelter) but didn't bring the M up on this trip - the e36 track car is a bit friendlier to weeklong holiday travelling. They put on a good event and I'll probably do another one when it fits the schedule. Thanks for the heads up on NCRC!
Aw man! Too bad we never bumped into each other

Maybe next time! I'm thinking about moving into the Point-By group from now on. But we'll see. I'm signing up for every single Laguna event that NCRC is hosting this year. They host very relaxing, drama-free track days and are pretty good @ communicating before and after events

Here's NCRC's full 2011 schedule:
http://www.ncracing.org/events.php
Appreciate 0