E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > How do you keep track of lap times?

11-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #1
5050punk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Golf R, 2009 335xi Coupe

How do you keep track of lap times?

Hey Guys,
I'm wondering what people use for keeping track of lap times while on the track? Is there anything more high tech out there than a stopwatch? Possibly something that's GPS enabled, and automatically restarts at a specific location on the track?
      11-26-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

There are many options for various budget levels. Most of them use GPS to automatically plot track map, start/finish positions and give you data on accelerations, braking and turns. Many use SDD cards to write the data, provide you the software to analyze your data after runs. Also, several of them have dash units you can attach that will give you real-time read outs, predictive lap timing and other sensor readouts. Most popular ones I know are:
  • Traqmate
  • RacePak
  • AIM
  • Racelogic
  • Motec

Some systems, will also integrate video and logger data, so you get those videos with data overlaid on them (manually or automatically), which is also very helpful. One relatively cheap option is to just have a video camera and you manually look at your lap times, but you won't know exactly what and where you are gaining time in any given lap.
If you do a search, you'll come up with several threads on this topic.

Also, there is WA-based MaxQdata that you may want to check out.

Last edited by FTS; 11-26-2010 at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
There are also these, for smart phones.

http://trackmaster.trackaroo.com/welcome
http://web.me.com/hschlangmann/LapTi...page/Home.html
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

for just lap times, you can usually rent a transponder at many race tracks.

However, for a stand alone timing system, the most affordable options are the XT Racing Ultra Lap, and the Hot Lap Timing system. Just be aware that you'll need the display unit, receiver, and a transmitter for a complete system.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 03:53 PM   #5
5050punk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Golf R, 2009 335xi Coupe

Thanks guys. Found a couple other ones over at The Car Lounge:

http://www.longacreracing.com/catalo...=1558&catid=10
http://www.driftbox.com/
      11-26-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

+1
Only have experience with traqmate but the analysis you can do with their software is simply worth it. I started off without their display unit and added it later.

Before that, my "lap timer" was playback of my videos and counting seconds between bridge crossings, crude method but worked

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
There are many options for various budget levels. Most of them use GPS to automatically plot track map, start/finish positions and give you data on accelerations, braking and turns. Many use SDD cards to write the data, provide you the software to analyze your data after runs. Also, several of them have dash units you can attach that will give you real-time read outs, predictive lap timing and other sensor readouts. Most popular ones I know are:
  • Traqmate
  • RacePak
  • AIM
  • Racelogic
  • Motec

Some systems, will also integrate video and logger data, so you get those videos with data overlaid on them (manually or automatically), which is also very helpful. One relatively cheap option is to just have a video camera and you manually look at your lap times, but you won't know exactly what and where you are gaining time in any given lap.
If you do a search, you'll come up with several threads on this topic.

Also, there is WA-based MaxQdata that you may want to check out.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 11:05 AM   #7
meepster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5050punk View Post
Thanks guys. Found a couple other ones over at The Car Lounge:

http://www.longacreracing.com/catalo...=1558&catid=10
http://www.driftbox.com/
I have the performance box (cheaper than the drift box). The major benefit is that it has highly accurate gps that samples at 5 hz, so you can really compare the difference between your line on one lap and another. The accuracy is great when you want to figure out WHY one lap was faster than another. The circuit tools software is pretty good.

You can ge an idea of what the data looks like w/ g-meter, speed and gps by checking out one of these videos:
[VALIDVIMEO1528204137]meeeeps[/VALIDVIMEO1528204137]

Also, race logic usually has start/finish line and splits/overlays for most tracks. They had thunder hill, infineon and laguna, but I did have to ask for infineon I think (wasn't on their site originally). This makes the analysis consistent/easy to do.
Appreciate 0