XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > X5 Photo/Video/Audio Gallery

11-24-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
Hoo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Blue e92 zcp 6mt

2011 X5 35i vs 35d

Thinking about getting 2011 X5. Haven't driven the '11 but previously was given '10s (both the 6 and the 8) for a weekend by my dealer. Our Volvo XC90 is nearing the end of it's time & $2500 Holiday rebate sounds pretty good. Also, I could get a $1K BMWCCA rebate (but I'd have to defer delivery til after Jan 1st since I used it this year for my 2011 M3, but apparently I still can get the Holiday discount).

I'm wondering about the X5 35i vs the 35d. Would like to get the diesel, since I already feel a bit guilty about the lowsy mileage my M3 gets, but I'm surprised the gas mileage difference isn't greater. Unfortunately diesel has the old 6 speed transmission, so that may be the reason.

With the $3,500 Eco rebate, the diesel would probably be a bit cheaper, but my wife is resistent--neither of us have driven diesels--I remember the lowsy GM diesels of the past, but I know the new ones are much better. Our dealer doesn't have any X5 35d's in stock, but does have 3 series with the same 2 engines so I guess we could compare in that way. My wife is afraid of difficulty finding diesel fuel, and other potential hassels. Any recommendations based on personal experience.

BTW, not sure how this post ended up in x5 Photo Gallery--my bad. If it stays here, I'll add some pics when I get the car. In any event, we ordered a 35d after driving the 2 3 series sedans back to back (one diesel one gas) and driving the x5 35i loaner for a couple of days.

Last edited by Hoo; 12-04-2010 at 05:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
Harajuku
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW e92

If you put a post in the "x5 Photo Gallery" and label it "2011 X5 35i vs 35d", then you better include some pictures

My personal opinion, the 35i 8speed tranny is like butter off the line, a combination of power and smoothness that I hadn't felt before. I too was seriously considering the d and drove them back to back and having driven the 35i first, the 6speed on the 35d felt like the shifting was *really* clunky after having just driven the 8 speed. That made the decision an easy one for me.

Sure you may not realize it if you drive just the d, but drive one right after the other and you'll see what I mean.

what a car...
Appreciate 0