E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Factory Service Coverage & Oil Change

11-21-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
thx1138
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328 Coupe, '06 325, '05 X3

Factory Service Coverage & Oil Change

I'm curious if anyone else encountered an interesting annual oil change rejection recently under the factory service.

At the end of October I brought my 328xi in for some servicing, and requested that while it was in, the annual oil change also be performed. The service advisor said he could not, as BMW NA had issued a new "notice" that annual oil changes were no longer being offered. Oil changes under the new plan would only be performed when the "notification light turns on in the vehicle."

My four year factory service was going to be expiring in mid-November, and the annual oil change light was sure to come on. Sure enough, several days ago, just days past the expiration of the four year servicing, the oil change notice appeared in iDrive.

I made an appointment, explained my situation to a new SA, and received the most curious of explanations of the charges, and why my now-expired factory servicing would not have covered the change in October/November.

Apparently, the "notice" of no more annual oil changes was sent to BMW dealerships in October. As the SA outlined it, the following rules apply:

1) If the vehicle has less than 6,000mi and over 12 months since last oil change, they would perform the oil change. (Note: My vehicle has slightly under this since last year's oil change).

2) If the vehicle has more than 6,000mi and is more than 1 year since last oil change, the dealership will not perform an oil change until the light comes on in the vehicle.

Therefore, my situation applied to item #1, but last year's oil change was just a few days shy of one year to my appointment yesterday, and I'm now beyond the factory servicing, it was all out of pocket.

Has anyone else been told of this quirky oil change plan for those still under factory servicing?

I'm not griping about paying out of pocket or being beyond factory servicing, but it doesn't seem right that BMW NA changed oil service policy without owner notification, does it?

Thanks.
      11-21-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

It's kind of like insurance companies charging a mortality risk expense fee to both people who buy annuities, and life insurance. But they play it both ways. For people that buy annuities, the fee is in case the customer lives too long. For people who buy insurance, the fee is in case the customer dies too young. They have something in place that gets people coming, and going.

Same with BMW--if you drive 6,001 miles, you lose, no low mile oil change. If you drove 5,999, you get the change, but only if it's been a year, so hopefully, by the time the year comes, you will drive 6,001, and be denied, like you were.

What is nonsense, is that very, very, few would not cross 6k in a year. Not even me. And over the free 4 yrs., the actuaries and statisticians can show BMW how much money they will save by eliminating several free oil changes.

Me, I was treated the complete opposite as you--in August, I asked for my annual oil change. I went like 6,200 mi. since a year ago. They changed it. Then, I came in early Nov., and only 1,800 miles later, they changed the oil again. My warranty expires the end of this month.

BMW should stop treating all their customers like they flunked out of HS. Some of us did get our GED's and we can actually understand what they're doing.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
skeptic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Titanium Sedan

Here is the latest bulletin on this. I don't see anything in it that refers to 6000 miles.

SI B01 04 10
Warranties October 2010
Warranties

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B01 04 10 dated August 2010. Please read it in its entirety.

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
BMW Maintenance Program Annual Low-mileage and Customer Pay Additional Engine Oil Changes

MODEL
All with Service Interval Indicator Systems (first generation, SIA and current generation, CBS), excluding diesel engine models

PROCEDURE
This bulletin outlines the revised requirements for the annual low-mileage engine oil change on gasoline engine models, effective immediately.

In order to perform an annual low-mileage oil change and receive payment under the BMW Maintenance Program, the following criteria must be met:

* At least one full year must have passed since the original in-service date (listed in DCSnet) or the date of the last engine oil change.

Note: The sixty-day rule (as defined in the BMW Maintenance Program Center Operations Manual) does not apply to the annual low-mileage oil change, thus performing an oil change before the 12 months have elapsed is not included this service. Additional vehicle fluids and/or additives top-ups cannot be claimed with this service, e.g., washer fluid.

INFORMATION
The original annual low-mileage engine oil change criteria established in 2001 was partially based on the use of mineral-based engine oils.

The new engine oils used in BMW vehicles:

* Are a more thermally stable synthetic blend

* Contain fewer contaminants (such as sulfur and nitrogen)

* Incorporate various additives that help oil performance (such as detergents, rust and corrosion inhibitors, antioxidants, anti-wear additives, and viscosity modifiers).

Low-mileage BMW Vehicles (Gasoline)

A limited number of BMW owners accumulate very low mileage on their vehicles annually, in some situations insufficient for the Service Interval Indicator System to call for an engine oil service or inspection I or II. For this situation, BMW NA recommends that the vehicle’s engine oil be changed after 12 months.

A low-mileage vehicle is defined as one for which at least 365 days have passed since the original in-service date or the last oil engine change.

Diesel engine oil services are currently based on a 12-month time interval; the annual low-mileage engine oil change does not apply to these models.

Additional Customer Pay Engine Oil Changes Performed Between Factory-recommended Services

Some BMW owners prefer to change their oil more frequently than indicated by the vehicle’s Service Interval Indicator System.

While this work can be performed as requested by the customer, it is not eligible for payment by BMW NA under the BMW Maintenance Programs or through Self Authorization.

NOTE: Whether performing a low-mileage oil change or a customer pay engine oil change, the vehicle’s Service Interval Indicator System (SIA/CBS) should not be reset when performing an annual low-mileage engine oil change.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
The low-mileage annual engine oil change is allowed under the terms of the BMW Maintenance Program/Maintenance Program Upgrade, and can be submitted for payment to the Warranties department as a maintenance claim.

Defect Code: 85 99 00 87 MP

Labor Operation: Labor Allowance: Description:
00 00 252 Refer to KSD Annual low mileage oil service
[ Copyright © 2010 BMW of North America, LLC ]
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
DTRJ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X4 M40I

This was the new BMW policy, but it only lasted about 3 weeks. Then they came out with the "NEW" policy which was the same as the original one. You get one oil change per year in the US, but not a day before 1 year. I guess they got so many complaints, the reverted back to the once a year deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thx1138 View Post
I'm curious if anyone else encountered an interesting annual oil change rejection recently under the factory service.

At the end of October I brought my 328xi in for some servicing, and requested that while it was in, the annual oil change also be performed. The service advisor said he could not, as BMW NA had issued a new "notice" that annual oil changes were no longer being offered. Oil changes under the new plan would only be performed when the "notification light turns on in the vehicle."

My four year factory service was going to be expiring in mid-November, and the annual oil change light was sure to come on. Sure enough, several days ago, just days past the expiration of the four year servicing, the oil change notice appeared in iDrive.

I made an appointment, explained my situation to a new SA, and received the most curious of explanations of the charges, and why my now-expired factory servicing would not have covered the change in October/November.

Apparently, the "notice" of no more annual oil changes was sent to BMW dealerships in October. As the SA outlined it, the following rules apply:

1) If the vehicle has less than 6,000mi and over 12 months since last oil change, they would perform the oil change. (Note: My vehicle has slightly under this since last year's oil change).

2) If the vehicle has more than 6,000mi and is more than 1 year since last oil change, the dealership will not perform an oil change until the light comes on in the vehicle.

Therefore, my situation applied to item #1, but last year's oil change was just a few days shy of one year to my appointment yesterday, and I'm now beyond the factory servicing, it was all out of pocket.

Has anyone else been told of this quirky oil change plan for those still under factory servicing?

I'm not griping about paying out of pocket or being beyond factory servicing, but it doesn't seem right that BMW NA changed oil service policy without owner notification, does it?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTRJ View Post
This was the new BMW policy, but it only lasted about 3 weeks. Then they came out with the "NEW" policy which was the same as the original one. You get one oil change per year in the US, but not a day before 1 year. I guess they got so many complaints, the reverted back to the once a year deal.
And you know the joke, "I guess I didn't get the memo?" That's what happened with the OP's dealership. The fact that I got a low-mileage change at 6,200, would support the notion that the policy only lasted a few weeks. But at minimum, it shows that BMW is desperately trying to find ways to decline free maintenance and warranty work.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 09:17 PM   #6
thx1138
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328 Coupe, '06 325, '05 X3

Everyone,

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm reading through all the posts now, and greatly appreciate the insight.

All the best,
Jordan M.
      01-26-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
Rustler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 335i Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTRJ View Post

I've been looking for the TSB which superceded the "6,000 mile maximum" from the August 2010 TSB (referenced above). Can anyone post it or link to it?

I'm coming up on a year from delivery and I've got 9k. It'll be almost another year before I hit 15-17k, so if I can get a covered change at 12 months it'd be great.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 09:15 AM   #8
rambalu80
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustler View Post
I've been looking for the TSB which superceded the "6,000 mile maximum" from the August 2010 TSB (referenced above). Can anyone post it or link to it?
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #9
fl-bimmer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Coupe M-Sport

Strange, I brought my car in for 30k mi service and oil change last month and now it shows 12/2012 or 25k mi until next oil change?? (i have 6yr CPO w/ maintenance) Anyone else see this...>>>