E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Update: Magnetic Plug in Diff

11-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
fl335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Update: Magnetic Plug in Diff

Ok guys, I installed a magnetic drain plug on rear of my car which has just under 40k. Bought it used/CPO few months ago. So I install the mag drain plug on the diff, which only has one plug for fill; no drain plug. I've driven it around about 200 miles and pulled the plug today for inspection. It did pull quite a bit of wear particles out of the system. Nothing crazy or to get worried about. It looked like a nice coat of graphite on the magnet. I cleaned it off and re-installed the plug. The diff lube looks great... very clean looking. I'm not changing it. I drove it around for a bit to get it mixed up good and then checked it... clean as a whistle. Magnetic plugs work! I installed one on the engine oil drain plug.... in about 5k I'll see what that one looks like. Got one also for the manual trans, but I haven't figured out what kind of trans lube I'm putting back in. BMW stuff is big bucks.

Last edited by fl335i; 11-20-2010 at 01:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

google Mike Miller BMW

To get his schedule he lists all the fluids and substitute fluids like Red Line
and Royal Purple. But you may already know this.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
AlanAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 325i sport manual

Where did you buy them from?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
fl335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Gold Plug. the engine plug is very sweet.
'07 335i Sedan, base pkg, 6spd Manual, Procede 3 V5 w/NLS, Macht Schnell Downpipes, 18" Staggered 313's w/Conti DWS's, OS Giken TCD LSD, VAC Street Diff Cover, Dinan Oil Cooler, Dinan Intercooler, Akebono Euro Pads, CDV Removed, Black BMW Grilles, Interior & Exterior white LED lighting, LUX Angel Eyes, Debadged, Blend V1 mount, Llumar ATR Tint.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
AlanAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 325i sport manual

Transmission and diff plugs are from Gold?
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
samchoi604
Colonel
Rep
Drives: black on black

Awesome. According to the website, these are the ones for a 335i.

Differential:
http://www.magneticdrainplug.com/Aut...lugs/AP22.html

Transmission:
http://www.magneticdrainplug.com/Aut...lugs/AP05.html

Engine:
http://www.magneticdrainplug.com/Aut...lugs/AP11.html

While we're on this topic, I would advise not to buy the ECS magnetic engine oil drain plug. Mine snapped while installation, and I'm not the only one. Stay away.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 07:08 AM   #7
fl335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

ECS? What are you talking about man? My drain plug looked sweet... yes I have the AP-11. Yours snapped!!?? It's torqued to like 15 Lb/Ft IIRC. How did you do that!?

Edit: Seems ECS is a brand of vendor or something. I was going to say my AP-11 from gold plug is very sweet quality.
'07 335i Sedan, base pkg, 6spd Manual, Procede 3 V5 w/NLS, Macht Schnell Downpipes, 18" Staggered 313's w/Conti DWS's, OS Giken TCD LSD, VAC Street Diff Cover, Dinan Oil Cooler, Dinan Intercooler, Akebono Euro Pads, CDV Removed, Black BMW Grilles, Interior & Exterior white LED lighting, LUX Angel Eyes, Debadged, Blend V1 mount, Llumar ATR Tint.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
samchoi604
Colonel
Rep

Sorry, I meant ECS tuning (http://www.ecstuning.com/). Bought the magnetic drain plug from them, and I barely applied any torque before it literally cracked. I've been changing oils all my life and never seen this happen.

Definitely will buy the ones you recommended! So do you use AP-22 for differential and AP-11 for the engine?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 06:30 PM   #9
RFGuy_KCCO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC BSM/SO

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by samchoi604 View Post
Awesome. According to the website, these are the ones for a 335i.

Differential:
http://www.magneticdrainplug.com/Aut...lugs/AP22.html

Transmission:
http://www.magneticdrainplug.com/Aut...lugs/AP05.html

Engine:
http://www.magneticdrainplug.com/Aut...lugs/AP11.html

While we're on this topic, I would advise not to buy the ECS magnetic engine oil drain plug. Mine snapped while installation, and I'm not the only one. Stay away.

My ECS drain plug hasn't cracked and I've changed my oil twice, so far.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 05:02 PM   #10
JunkStory
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 8V RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by samchoi604 View Post
I just bought the magnetic plugs for transmission and differential. Will install them whenever I can. Anyone else want to share their experience so far?

Didn't get the engine one because I feel the oil filter already does the job, and I change oil every 8000 miles anyways.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 09:44 AM   #11
distortionist
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Are these the same parts for a 328i ?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #12
fl335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Not sure. Gold plug has a look up search engine. I'm assuming the diff would be at least.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 09:56 PM   #13
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl335i View Post
Ok guys, I installed a magnetic drain plug on rear of my car which has just under 40k. Bought it used/CPO few months ago. So I install the mag drain plug on the diff, which only has one plug for fill; no drain plug. I've driven it around about 200 miles and pulled the plug today for inspection. It did pull quite a bit of wear particles out of the system. Nothing crazy or to get worried about. It looked like a nice coat of graphite on the magnet. I cleaned it off and re-installed the plug. The diff lube looks great... very clean looking. I'm not changing it. I drove it around for a bit to get it mixed up good and then checked it... clean as a whistle. Magnetic plugs work! I installed one on the engine oil drain plug.... in about 5k I'll see what that one looks like. Got one also for the manual trans, but I haven't figured out what kind of trans lube I'm putting back in. BMW stuff is big bucks.
This is very good to know..i also bought a magnetic plug for the diff from Gold Plug and was told by a few indy mechanics that its worthless to use b/c its a fill plug and sits up top..my reasoning was that diff will churn oil and splash against the plug so if there are any metal shaving they would be caught..

I have yet to install my LSD but will def be using my magnetic plug with it
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 01:06 PM   #14
my nuts on your face
Banned
Rep
Drives: bigger than yours

ECS plugs have snapped on some folks?!? YIKES! I have their and have had it in and out twice now without issues, but i will definitely be replacing it with a gold plug after your comments. There is NO WAY i want to deal with drilling out an oil drain plug! Once you pick a trans fluid, please update the Original post and give a little info why you picked that particular fluid please
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 01:48 PM   #15
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by my nuts on your face View Post
ECS plugs have snapped on some folks?!? YIKES! I have their and have had it in and out twice now without issues, but i will definitely be replacing it with a gold plug after your comments. There is NO WAY i want to deal with drilling out an oil drain plug! Once you pick a trans fluid, please update the Original post and give a little info why you picked that particular fluid please
I have the ECS magnetic plug for the oil pan..no issues..as long as you dont over torque you should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 04:36 PM   #16
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

if you take your car to a dealership for work, and you have mag plugs, they won't complain about them or say they void any type of warranties do they?

Very interested in doing this for my car...
      09-05-2011, 04:17 AM   #17
samchoi604
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes, mine snapped while applying below the rated torque.

I'm NOT the only one who experienced this. ECS is fully aware of this issue and yet this continue to sell the plug. Maybe mine was just defective, but be warned. Below picture is not mine.. mine snapped but luckily the threaded stem was still barely attached and I could remove it. Other owners were not so lucky.

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...tuck-hole.html

Another guy had his magnet fall out (can you imagine the damage if the magnet circulated into the engine?)

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...tic-plug-broke.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 10:16 AM   #18
my nuts on your face
Banned
Rep
Drives: bigger than yours

^^^the second pic...OMG!!! I wonder what ECS would say/do if that happened and caused catastrophic failure? And no wonder why they break...the hollowed the whole threaded section out! That leaves too thin a sidewall for the potential heat cycling and repeated torque applied along with the potential swelling of the plug and seizing due to heat. The plug needs to be made of steel realistically, but i think it's aluminum. :/ off to the store i go. Hopefully i can get one more removal out of mine!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #19
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

Is the magnet screwed in or glued in? If it screws in, I would back it out, apply automotive glue and screw back in. I have a Wavetrac lsd and agree with tibra's logic. Wanna get one of these provided it doesn't fall apart!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #20
samchoi604
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
^^^the second pic...OMG!!! I wonder what ECS would say/do if that happened and caused catastrophic failure? And no wonder why they break...the hollowed the whole threaded section out! That leaves too thin a sidewall for the potential heat cycling and repeated torque applied along with the potential swelling of the plug and seizing due to heat. The plug needs to be made of steel realistically, but i think it's aluminum. :/ off to the store i go. Hopefully i can get one more removal out of mine!
You are right. I would definitely stay away from using aftermarket drain plugs on the engine because the risk and potential damage is too great.. just let the oil filter do the job.

On the other hand, I just got my magnetic diff and transmission plugs from Gold Plug, and they appear to be much more sturdy. Will be installing the diff one soon, then the AT one when I do the fluid change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbj View Post
Is the magnet screwed in or glued in? If it screws in, I would back it out, apply automotive glue and screw back in. I have a Wavetrac lsd and agree with tibra's logic. Wanna get one of these provided it doesn't fall apart!
I believe there's no thread.. it's just glued in.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #21
fl335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Update. Gold Plugs in my BMW, Lincoln and other family cars are doing great. NO damages. Good quality products. I'm putting one in the trans of my MKZ if I can find one to fit.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 06:40 PM   #22
Canon8mm60D
Photographer for Hire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Range Rover Sport

aaahhhhhhhh
Appreciate 0