E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Car says it needs a quart of oil

11-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #1
OfficialBOLO
Captain
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i X-Drive MSport

Garage List
Car says it needs a quart of oil

Hi all, my car last night got a message saying thats oil is at minimum level and that a quart must be added. Does this fall under the maintenance that bmw provides? If not, can i just go buy a quart or 2 of mobil1 and pour it in myself? Just bought the car used last week and from the service history the laat maintenace performed was 13k miles ago, so i know im due soon (have 285xx miles on it and assuming that around 30k is the next interval). Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

1995 Toyota Supra Single Turbo (for sale)
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
Viper3812
Banned
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Yes it's covered and yes you can go to the store and buy 1 quart of 5w30 oil and do it yourself if the dealer is too far.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
bimmernoob
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BkNy3 View Post
Hi all, my car last night got a message saying thats oil is at minimum level and that a quart must be added. Does this fall under the maintenance that bmw provides? If not, can i just go buy a quart or 2 of mobil1 and pour it in myself? Just bought the car used last week and from the service history the laat maintenace performed was 13k miles ago, so i know im due soon (have 285xx miles on it and assuming that around 30k is the next interval). Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
I assume that you should be still under the free-maintenance coverage, in which case, you can simply drive up to the dealership and they will top it off for you.

There are a lot of threads in regards to motor oil, and also lots of debate. My take is to stay with BMW approved oil (not all mobil1 are BMW approved) though there maybe some that disagrees. In either case, if you are still under the free-maintenance coverage, just go to your nearest dealer. Also, don't drive too long with low oil, try to do it asap.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
SirDigbyChickenCaesar
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

I just went to the the dealer for repairs and my car was low on oil. The rep said you get 1 oil change a year and you are responsible for topping it off in between (which will happen often). They did not end up topping off the engine with oil. This isn't to say that your dealer won't do it, but that's the word from my dealer in Los Angeles.
Appreciate 0