E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Reasonable 60k maintenance - DIY? Cost?

11-16-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
jrUTlaw
Esquire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Reasonable 60k maintenance - DIY? Cost?

My 07 e90 335i w/ AT is at 53k miles and due for an oil change according to my standards (its been 7k miles since last one). I'm considering doing some of the 60k mile maintenance now and doing more at 60k miles when I get the oil changed again. I want to know how much should I expect to pay for this maintenance. Of course I'm calling around to check pricing, but I want to know what is a reasonable amount to pay for this and is there anything that I can do myself (Keep in mind I'm an attorney with very little mechanical skills/knowledge). This is the list of things I'm planning to do:

1) Oil change w/ filter - not going to mess with DIY here. ($100)
2) Microfilter - maybe do it myself? Where is this located?
3) Air filter - shouldn't be hard to do this myself should it?
4) Spark Plugs - can't do this myself for sure, but shouldn't this definitely be on the list?
5) Fuel filter - Do I need this? I def. cannot do it myself. Had HPFP replaced 1x about 30k miles ago

Some shops have recommended a differential service, but I'm not sure what is involved in this or if I need it. I guess whether I get this done will depend on the cost. Also, I was quoted $700 for transmission fluid service. I'm definitely not getting this done.

Anything I'm leaving out? This forum has been very helpful for me so far. Thanks in advance for your input.

EDIT: Is Tischer the best place to get parts? I'm thinking I can save some $ by getting all the parts myself.
      11-16-2010, 07:41 PM   #2
Slamb
Slamb
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, Black

I'm not exactly sure either but there is a couple of other threads from today and past couple of days with this exact question and I found them helpful. Maybe check those out.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Plugs Not Required

Plugs should have been changed at 45K by dealer - so still good. If you can read you can change the oil and micro. My guess is that you will trade by 100K so I would just skip the rest.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
Btown335
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Britt View Post
Plugs should have been changed at 45K by dealer - so still good. If you can read you can change the oil and micro. My guess is that you will trade by 100K so I would just skip the rest.
Why do you say plugs should have been changed by dealer at 45k? I could not get mine replaced before 50k to be covered by maintenance. I checked at 49k and they wouldn't do it because they will only replace if it is due within 1000 miles. I'm now at 53k and it says they are due in 700 miles so I'll be doing it myself to save a couple hundred.
Appreciate 0