ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-13-2010, 08:57 PM   #1
jbh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M

Drove a well preparred STS miata today

I co-drove a nicely prepped 93 miata today in sts class at an autox today. That car was so neutral in handling. When the back end starts to step out you really don't even feel it but just drive through it like you don't even really notice. It is so easy to control at and past the limit. Of course it only had about 1/3 of the power of my M but it was so much faster in the turns. I am pretty sure I was just as fast in that car or faster than I would have been in my M.

I know some of you have driven Miata's in autox before. This was my first time and I really liked the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 03:20 AM   #2
silversprint
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M

It's great to drive a low hp light weight car and feel how much fun it can be. The weight of the car really makes a huge difference in cornering.

If you want the best of both worlds find a well setup turbo miata, elise or exige to drive. Just as much fun in corners with power to not get passed on the straights.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 10:19 PM   #3
nlink720
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 Roadster

The Miata is a great car. I got one for my daily commuter car, and realized that even with its worn 200,000 chassis that it was perfect on balance. I used it to guide my Z4's tuning. I think it's really hard to compare double wishbone front and rear to our Mac Pherson struts.

The S2000 is beautiful too.

FS: Leather Recaro Pole Position Seats & Hardware
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 09:03 PM   #4
jbh
Private First Class
Rep

I own a 2000 NB miata now. Currently it is being transformed to STR trim. Waiting on custom FCM coilovers to be made, sway bar in garage, need to order the 15x9 wheels and tires later this month. Used racing seat purchased tonight.

Got a good deal on the car and it came with a hardtop. I can't wait to get it bolted together when the parts are all here. Autocrossed once in November on the stock 131,000 mile shocks and bald dry rot tires, still fun.

I still own the M - mainly for street duty now but I may run it this year at the BMW club events until I use up my fairly new RS3's on my track wheels (unless someone wants to please buy them from me).
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
Z4MHawk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 M Roadster

Yea...love the lower cost of the Miata and running set-up for the track! Unfortunately, I would look like Jeffery the Giraffe going down the interstate in a box. The Z4 is much more spacious and I can drive it in the rain (top up).
      01-06-2011, 03:51 PM   #6
bmwtmx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Had a 2006 Exige and a 2009 Exige S 260. Try one of those if you want real light weight with some power! They both could have used more power (2006 especially) but was quite quick right out of the box without the need to change 1 thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #7
jbh
Private First Class
Rep

Yes, I would love to have one of those but I am pretty sure it would cost a little more than the 10 year old miata I purchased. I guess I would have to sell the M for that.

I love watching them race, they are so fast. There are a few that run the events around here.
Appreciate 0