E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > light malfunctions and void of warrantee b/c of aftermarket bulbs

11-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
Gilda G
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xdrive

light malfunctions and void of warrantee b/c of aftermarket bulbs

This morning I woke up with low beam malfunction, daylight running malfunction and adaptive headlight malfunction. I called bmw up since i had no lights on my car at all and they took me in right away.It took 7 hours in repairs to fix. After waiting 30 minutes my SA comes over and tells me my car has after market bulbs so the bulb replacement will not be covered under warantee. I was abit annoyed since i didnt know my car had after market bulbs. Next comes that it will cost $846 just for the bulbs. In shock that bulbs can cost that much I just tell them give my car back and I'll replace them on my own. I figured I would just work from home on thursday and have them overnighted. Issue solved right.. nope..The SA tells me thats fine but there is more the left headlight adaptive headlight itself in broke due to burnt wires caused by the aftermarket bulbs and that the xenon bulb on that side is glued (yes the orginal owner glued the bulbs in place.. what an asshole) in which also voided my warrantee on replacement of the whole headunit. He next tells me that with all the discounts for being a car club member, knowing the service manager and general manager the total cost is $1500.11 instead of $2500 which will include the labor, diagnostic and repairs. After sitting there for 7 hours (b/c they had no loaner left) I paid for the replacement of the headlight.

So the moral of the story is if you buy your car second hand make sure you know of all add ons, check your car out through and through. Don't go by the original owners word that all bulbs are oem. Still quite annoyed since I purposely bought a car with 24,000 miles and that has an extended warrantee yet I still have to pay. Lesson was learned only oem parts for me from now on!!
      11-10-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Yuhp.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 05:32 PM   #3
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gildagjg View Post
This morning I woke up with low beam malfunction, daylight running malfunction and adaptive headlight malfunction. I called bmw up since i had no lights on my car at all and they took me in right away.It took 7 hours in repairs to fix. After waiting 30 minutes my SA comes over and tells me my car has after market bulbs so the bulb replacement will not be covered under warantee. I was abit annoyed since i didnt know my car had after market bulbs. Next comes that it will cost $846 just for the bulbs. In shock that bulbs can cost that much I just tell them give my car back and I'll replace them on my own. I figured I would just work from home on thursday and have them overnighted. Issue solved right.. nope..The SA tells me thats fine but there is more the left headlight adaptive headlight itself in broke due to burnt wires caused by the aftermarket bulbs and that the xenon bulb on that side is glued (yes the orginal owner glued the bulbs in place.. what an asshole) in which also voided my warrantee on replacement of the whole headunit. He next tells me that with all the discounts for being a car club member, knowing the service manager and general manager the total cost is $1500.11 instead of $2500 which will include the labor, diagnostic and repairs. After sitting there for 7 hours (b/c they had no loaner left) I paid for the replacement of the headlight.

So the moral of the story is if you buy your car second hand make sure you know of all add ons, check your car out through and through. Don't go by the original owners word that all bulbs are oem. Still quite annoyed since I purposely bought a car with 24,000 miles and that has an extended warrantee yet I still have to pay. Lesson was learned only oem parts for me from now on!!
Insane
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 05:36 PM   #4
Robben@ltbmw
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Space Grey

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
did you buy the car from a BMW dealership? If so, I would definitely contact BMWNA and complain about this because this is BS and they should have done a comprehensive checkup on the car before selling. If its not from BMW dealership.. then I just have to say thats why always buy CPO BMW from dealerships.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
Gilda G
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

No my mistake first time, last time too. I bought it from a dealership that buys cars from bmw and mercedes when they get turned in from lease.
      11-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #6
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
Was the car CPO from the dealership?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
Gilda G
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopealle View Post
My car has 30,000 miles on it now still has the original bmw warranty on it until oct 2011 plus and extended warranty until 2013.
      11-10-2010, 06:41 PM   #8
Atomicteal_M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 AW

Garage List
2007 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopealle View Post
CPO still doesnt cover headlamp replacement. My car is under CPO. It rained for a week straight. My passenger side headlamp developed serious condensation. I took it in to the stealership and they told me that CPO does not cover the headlamp replacement and that it woud cost $1287 to replace. Well long story short. I weather proofed and everything is good now. CPO warranty my A$$!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #9
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

If it were CPO, they cant CPO it with F'ed up head lights like that. But since its not, your SOL. Not too bad of a deal they're giving you.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 10:15 PM   #10
Gilda G
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

They told me if the bulbs weren't aftermarket and the glue on the plug they would have warantee the headlight replacement since my car is still under the original warranty and that no money would have been due. I have a call in for tomorrow regarding the whole situtation i want to see physical proof that the housing is damaged and the bulbs have glue on them. i have the headlight, the bulbs and i dont see the glue or any damage they said. So tomorrow i plan on having them plugging the old headlight into my car with the new bmw bulbs to show me that its doesnt work. So we shall see b/c i feel like i was majorly scammed.
      11-10-2010, 11:28 PM   #11
tldoxmf87
Captain
South Korea
Rep
Drives: e92 TiAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gildagjg View Post
They told me if the bulbs weren't aftermarket and the glue on the plug they would have warantee the headlight replacement since my car is still under the original warranty and that no money would have been due. I have a call in for tomorrow regarding the whole situtation i want to see physical proof that the housing is damaged and the bulbs have glue on them. i have the headlight, the bulbs and i dont see the glue or any damage they said. So tomorrow i plan on having them plugging the old headlight into my car with the new bmw bulbs to show me that its doesnt work. So we shall see b/c i feel like i was majorly scammed.
sounds like a case. Good luck!
      10-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #12
d3l0n
I love the ///M3, but I want 550hp ///M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW330iE90

Garage List
damn.. sorry to hear. Thanks for sharing. I've had my share of experiences with the dealer and crazy prices.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #13
UndergroundEuros
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335I Alphina White

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3l0n
damn.. sorry to hear. Thanks for sharing. I've had my share of experiences with the dealer and crazy prices.
Did you really just bump/ comment on something that was 2 years old?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #14
335(EX)(EYE)
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 n54 & n55 / e46 330ci DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by **************** View Post
Did you really just bump/ comment on something that was 2 years old?
Appreciate 0