2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Music Collection (USB Import)- No album art, no playlist

11-08-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Question Music Collection (USB Import)- No album art, no playlist

After importing into the HD from USB, I found that the album art is no longer displayed when playing the music; while the album art works fine for the same file when played from USB. In addition, I could not find a way to use playlist for tracks imported into the Hard Disk.

Do you have the same experience or is it just me?

In addition, my USB flash drive connection is flaky. I kept it plugged in all the time (at center arm rest). Once a while, after starting the car, the USB would show as "Not Connected". And I would have to unplug it and plug it back in to load. I hope it is just my flash drive (OCZ Diesel 4GB); and I am going to try out another one.

If you have a USB flash drive working flawlessly, I would appreciate if you can tell me the brand name and model of that flash drive. TIA!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
I use a 32GB Corsair Flash Voyager with no issues. I also used it on my E93 before I had the F10. Don't have to unplug it or anything like that when I start the car.

To clarify, this is plugged into the armrest (6FL option), not the glove compartment.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
eripers
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 523i

I used a USB with WMA lossless. It plays OK in the armrest USB but not when copy into HD with the glove compartment USB. MP3 plays from the HD too. I think it is actually two separate computers, the navigation system and the combox, both connected to the stereo and the iDrive network. The glove compartment USB is connected to the navigation computer, the armrest USB to the combox. And the combox is newer and can handle more formats, album art variations. So this might be the reason for different behavior. I disided to not use the HD.

Having to reconnect a USB once a while I think is a standard USB thing :-)

I still have have a problem with the album art on both UD and 6FL though. I think it has to do with how the album art is stored in the folders and not in the files but haven't found a solution yet. Any hints?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by eripers View Post
I think it is actually two separate computers, the navigation system and the combox, both connected to the stereo and the iDrive network.
Interesting thought. Certainly possible.

Quote:
I still have have a problem with the album art on both UD and 6FL though. I think it has to do with how the album art is stored in the folders and not in the files but haven't found a solution yet. Any hints?
I have no problem with album art, all of them works.
For mp3, you must ensure that the album art is embedded into each song. This is not the default behavior of many programs including iTunes. I use iTunes, and I have to "paste" the cover art to the songs; otherwise iTunes would store the cover art separate from the mp3 files and it won't work in the car.
Appreciate 0