E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Importing a 2009 328xi Coupe

11-07-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
grandmaster
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Importing a 2009 328xi Coupe

I've read DIY import guides and have also previously imported a 2007 335i coupe which i still have. I brought that car in just under the wire before bmw canada started to force people to change the cluster due to the day time running lights issue - since the driver can turn them on or off via the computer options. (nov 2007)

My question is: Does BMW Canada honour warranty on a US imported car IF you did not go through their steps, paying $500 for their recall letter which also means paying $3000 to have the cluster/software changed over. I'm hearing lots of stories of ppl getting BMW USA recall letters, and using them successfully with RIV to import. Thats fine to get the car in but what happens when i pull into a Canadian BMW dealer for a warranty issue?

Will their system simply have no record of this car coming to Canada and therefore not validate my warranty? I have a feeling they will force the modifications on me regardless.

Anyone with experience not getting the cluster change etc and then having warranty work?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
skaar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Warranty is apparently still valid in Canada. BMW North America honours the work.

At least this is what the local dealer told me. He also told me I needed to replace the cluster/etc. not just for the recall letter but because "it made it more difficult for them to program/read"

I *just* imported a 2008 335xi and it is getting its DRL programmed right now, so I am interested in responses you get to this question. I started a thread in a similar vein earlier last week with some answers already posted in it as well.

Of note, I got the document out of the US and that satisfied RIV - I got my Form 2 and am hopefully off to Canadian Tire tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2010, 01:38 AM   #3
Sunny31
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46e92

Skarr, so they made you change out the cluster to cover warranty work in Canada?

Also which document did you use to get the car past the border? I've read that a carfax report works..?
Appreciate 0