Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Steering wheel shake @ 80 mph

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-03-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
dlm6568
Rep
Drives: 2006 AW 325i

Steering wheel shake @ 80 mph

So my 06' 325i shakes when driving at speeds over 80 mph. I'm pretty sure its a high speed balance issue since only happens at these speeds, but on my way out this evening the tire sensor went off at around the same speed. Checked the tires no flat and the pressures are good.

Note I did get the same warning bout a week ago, inflated the tires to the right pressure and reset the sensor and the warning went away.

Just curious has anyone had this problem before, Wheel shake @ high speed causing the tire sensor to activate?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
dlm6568
Rep
Drives: 2006 AW 325i

So I found out what the problem was, One of the rear tires was worn all the way down to the bare metal and the other has about 5% thread left. I was pissed sense I only bought the car 2 weeks ago and only put on 1200 miles since I purchased it. There was no way I could have damaged the tire to that extent in that time frame and mileage usage.
So I called the dealer(non-BMW dealership) and got a sales manager on the line since my salesman was not available. He proceeded to feed me a line of bull****, telling me there was no way they would have sold me the car in that condition, this would have been picked up in the pre-inspection report, they couldn't cover it because I didn't purchased the extended warranty, blah blah blah. Then he said he would offer me a new tire @ cost. I said i want to talk to the general manager. He was much more accommodating, he said bring in the car and he will have his service manager inspect it.

So I did and while I was there I asked for a copy of the service report, and there it was 1st note, rear tires show extreme wear 1 down to bare thread, 1 worn past usable thread life. So they are going to replace both tires with bridgestones at their cost. Still PO'ed @ the sales manager I want to file a complaint and give this guy hell. He didn't even have the common sense to review the report before talking to me. idiot. Should I or shouldn't I thanks for letting me vent.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Iv never hard of the issue you had before but it sounds like you had an out of spec alignement with aggressive toe out and camber can damage a tire without 2 weeks. I would double check your alignement first.

-Charles@VMRWheels