Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Run-Flat Tires vs Non Run-Flat Tires

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-01-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
Pyscho_Powers
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 335i coupe

Run-Flat Tires vs Non Run-Flat Tires

I have the OEM bridgestone Potenza re050a tires (rft), but I want to buy a new set of tires to install in the future.. The OEM tires have about <10k miles left on them, so I would like to plan for the future maybe even some BBS rims to match.

Did some research, and mostly people would agree that regular tires will
out-perform rft? Is this true? How come? To clarify "out-perform", i mean, wet/dry traction, road noise, and comfort. Also what non run-flats fit these attributes? Thinking about some good 'ol sticky tires for all-purpose wear. I am not driving in the snow or when the weather gets icy. Need some opinions?

Thanks

Last edited by Pyscho_Powers; 11-01-2010 at 08:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
XDEEDUBBX
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 535I

1st off rft's are heavy compared to non rft's. Also if you get a leak or slightly puncture it, it is not reccomended to fix. Most shops won't even try to do it. And rft's are expensive! hope that helps.
      11-01-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyscho_Powers View Post
I have the OEM bridgestone Potenza re050a tires (rft), but I want to buy a new set of tires to install in the future.. The OEM tires have about <10k miles left on them, so I would like to plan for the future maybe even some BBS rims to match.

Did some research, and mostly people would agree that regular tires will out perform rft? Is this true? How come? Also what non run-flats are "good tires"? Thinking about some good sticky tires for all-purpose wear. I am not driving in the snow or when the weather gets icy. Need some opinions?

Thanks
"out perform" in what category ? All RFT have stiff side walls which is good for performance. People here switch to regular tires because it provide MUCH better and softer ride (softer over bumps) and yet pretty much the same performance. More expensive the tire is, the better it is....this is usually true, but not all cheap tires are that bad....
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
Ink330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

I have Continental ContiProContact SSRs, and I actually like them. I think a majority of the people here despise RFTs. One thing is certain though, there are not shortage of RFTs v. Non RFTs threads!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
Pyscho_Powers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
"out perform" in what category ? All RFT have stiff side walls which is good for performance. People here switch to regular tires because it provide MUCH better and softer ride (softer over bumps) and yet pretty much the same performance. More expensive the tire is, the better it is....this is usually true, but not all cheap tires are that bad....
Okay so basically, what I mean in "outperform" are by: wet/dry traction, road noise, and comfort. But how come m3's don't have rft? I've heard Michelin are the best of choice. Is this true?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #6
Tortfeasor 335xi
Corporate Hack
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi Coupe

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...-run-flats.htm

Consumer reports on the trade-offs. Google will give you more results.

Why I switched was because I wanted to go with a high performance summer tires and a dedicated winter set. Also, as many people have found, run flats are comrpomised by their design in absolute performance. And while new run flats are as good or better than old high performance tires, when compared with conventional high performance tires of the same make, they are not as good.

Edmunds found this out comparing Pilot Sports run flats with non-runflats here (though they claim the wet traction difference was by design):
http://blogs.edmunds.com/strategies/...rformance.html
Really Much Earlier Car: 1988 Mazda 626 TURBO
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #7
k3m0-330i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
all i can say is non run flat for the win!! the ride is so much better i love my yokohamma s.drive..
2007 335i e90 - Sold
2002 Taig / Red / / / M3 - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 10:25 AM   #8
Hooy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 328i, E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
I just bought Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs... extreme summer tires to replace my oe Continental RFTs. I will let you know when I install them and how they compare! Wheels are stock 17's (8").
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 10:37 AM   #9
Pyscho_Powers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooy View Post
I just bought Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs... extreme summer tires to replace my oe Continental RFTs. I will let you know when I install them and how they compare! Wheels are stock 17's (8").
What a coincidence I was going to buy these tires too.. Let me know what you think of them. Yeah keeping my OEM set for winter, and these Dunlop may be for summer time!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #10
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
What a coincidence I was going to buy these tires too.. Let me know what you think of them. Yeah keeping my OEM set for winter, and these Dunlop may be for summer time!
I hope you mean you are keeping your original wheels for winter and not your RE050A tires!

If you want a good winter performance tire, I'd recommend the Dunlop Wintersport M3 or D3. For summer, lots of folk seem to like the Michelin PS2 (also available in RFT) or the Conti DW.

And for an excellent all season tire, I replaced my OEM RFTs on my 128i with Conti DWS and have been very happy with them.

And IMHO, the main difference between comparable (i.e. performance, touring, winter, etc.) RFTS and non runflats is the non runflats' softer ride, larger selection and significantly lower price.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #11
Pyscho_Powers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
I hope you mean you are keeping your original wheels for winter and not your RE050A tires!

If you want a good winter performance tire, I'd recommend the Dunlop Wintersport M3 or D3. For summer, lots of folk seem to like the Michelin PS2 (also available in RFT) or the Conti DW.

And for an excellent all season tire, I replaced my OEM RFTs on my 128i with Conti DWS and have been very happy with them.

And IMHO, the main difference between comparable (i.e. performance, touring, winter, etc.) RFTS and non runflats is the non runflats' softer ride, larger selection and significantly lower price.

Tom
Yes, I'm actually planning to keep my bridgestones and buy some very good extreme summer tires.. Been looking at some Dunlop drizza star 1(I think) on tire rack and they are rated pretty good. Also I don't know what to believe, so are run-flats on par with the regular tires. Besides the factor is the availability, price, and ride noise. As far as, performance in dry/wet traction, and road noise and comfort which one is better?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #12
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

I like the precision of RFTs. Standard tires are too soft in the sidewall and claw quite a bit. I realized this after the switch. If you're going to switch to regular tires, go for a really sticky setup or you'll notice the flex even more.
      11-02-2010, 02:36 PM   #13
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDEEDUBBX View Post
1st off rft's are heavy compared to non rft's. Also if you get a leak or slightly puncture it, it is not reccomended to fix. Most shops won't even try to do it. And rft's are expensive! hope that helps.
hit the nail on the head there.
      11-02-2010, 03:24 PM   #14
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Okay so basically, what I mean in "outperform" are by: wet/dry traction, road noise, and comfort. But how come m3's don't have rft? I've heard Michelin are the best of choice. Is this true?
True, I drove a M3 for over 4 years before getting into a Z4. My M3 had 19 inch wheels as does my Z4.

1) On my M3 I had Michelin High Performance Tires for the Summer and a winter wheel set 18"x8 also with Michelin winter tires (no spare in the M3 only a compressor to pump air plugged into the cigarette lighter - never used it).

2) On my Z3 I have the Bridgestone RFT in my opinion they suck and actually again in my humble opinion caused 2 rear wheel cracks after only 18,000 KM (~11,000 Miles). One wheel replaced by BMW the other one I am still working on to get my money back.

Bottom line My winter set is going on the car now yes you guessed it with Performance Michelin Winter tires. When the summer wheels (Type 296) go back on the car they also will have Michelin Performance tires and yes I will carry a BMW portable compressor in the trunk just like I did with my M3.

RFT ,,,, bw gone! here you go my 2 cents, hope it helps

PS my wife's car also has Michelin on both the summer and winter sets

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #15
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

I hope this article from edmunds is helpful, although these days there are beter runflats available:

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...lat-redux.html

cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 11:05 PM   #16
blimey
Private
Rep
Drives: e90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Just took off my oem 17 with rft... Now running oem 18 on non rft...

What a difference in ride quality especially hitting bumps.

Now just got to worry about a spare.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 09:00 AM   #17
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
wet/dry traction and noise are the same. comfort level on non-rft is MUCH better. Michelins and Contis are probably the best tire (summer tires for summer use), but in my opinion they are way too overpriced compared to Korean brand tires. I am happy with my Hankook V12 for $550 that i paid for them
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #18
Philz BMW
Slow rollin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i koop

Quote:
Originally Posted by blimey View Post
Just took off my oem 17 with rft... Now running oem 18 on non rft...

What a difference in ride quality especially hitting bumps.

Now just got to worry about a spare.
I plan on going to 19's in the spring, non RF. I still won't bother with a spare in the trunk. If I seriously have a blowout somewhere I'm not going to bother putting some doughnut on there. Roadside assistance, tow, order new 19in replacement tire...drive rental or dealer loaner until then.

Of course, in the almost 20 years I've been driving I've never had a flat tire. It figures in the car with no spare, that's when it might happen. lol

Business: BMW 328i Coupe
Pleasure: Ducati 1098S
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 11:51 AM   #19
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philz BMW View Post
I plan on going to 19's in the spring, non RF. I still won't bother with a spare in the trunk. If I seriously have a blowout somewhere I'm not going to bother putting some doughnut on there. Roadside assistance, tow, order new 19in replacement tire...drive rental or dealer loaner until then.

Of course, in the almost 20 years I've been driving I've never had a flat tire. It figures in the car with no spare, that's when it might happen. lol
Murphy's law, the moment you get rid of RFT or spare you will get a flat, if you have a tire repair kit you get a non-repairable blowout.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 01:56 PM   #20
Philz BMW
Slow rollin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i koop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaFan View Post
Murphy's law, the moment you get rid of RFT or spare you will get a flat, if you have a tire repair kit you get a non-repairable blowout.
Agreed, 100%

Business: BMW 328i Coupe
Pleasure: Ducati 1098S
Appreciate 0