E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Window Auto Open

09-15-2005, 02:12 PM   #1
06graphite
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328xi Coupe

Window Auto Open

Here's something interesting I noticed the other day.

If the car is completely closed up (windows and sunroof closed, doors locked) and you press and hold the unlock button on the key, the windows will roll down completely and then the sunroof opens up. (Nothing new here, known that since before I bought the car.)

However, the other day, I parked the car at a store and left the sunroof tilted open (vent position?) because I didn't want the heat to build up in the car and I trusted where I parked the car. As I walked back to the car I held down the unlock button. The windows rolled down half way and the sunroof didn't move.

Tried it twice and sure enough, that's what it does. Anyone else notice this?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2005, 02:28 PM   #2
sedihorn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320i 2006 Black

Garage List
2006 320I  [0.00]
thanks for letting me know,i didnīt even know the first feature lol
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2005, 02:42 PM   #3
Xens
Eh
Rep
Drives: Is Turbo'd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Wow, now I feel special about my salesman explaining everything to me, even the valet key function and glove box key.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2005, 03:06 PM   #4
connermd
What did I miss?
United_States
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06graphite

If the car is completely closed up (windows and sunroof closed, doors locked) and you press and hold the unlock button on the key, the windows will roll down completely and then the sunroof opens up. (Nothing new here, known that since before I bought the car.)

However, the other day, I parked the car at a store and left the sunroof tilted open (vent position?) because I didn't want the heat to build up in the car and I trusted where I parked the car. As I walked back to the car I held down the unlock button. The windows rolled down half way and the sunroof didn't move.

I have not experienced this. I tilt the sunroof every day when I leave my car (and sometimes crack the windows). When I leave work I press and hold the unlock button and voila...all the windows roll down and the sunroof opens all the way.
      09-15-2005, 05:03 PM   #5
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06graphite

the sun roof should open, its slow but should open. you have to give it time to close and open. if you notice the sun roof is always slow to open fully. when all the windows are down sun roof is about half way open....did you know you can use the key in your remote to close all the windows??? by locking the door and holding it.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2005, 06:47 AM   #6
06graphite
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran
did you know you can use the key in your remote to close all the windows??? by locking the door and holding it.
yeah, i knew that. don't really see the point though. it's just as easy to get in the car and close everything.... or better yet, close everything before you shut off the engine and get out of the car.

what i usually do is, as i pull into the driveway i open my garage door (using the homelink button) then close the sunroof and finally the windows.

gotta love the auto open/close feature...

although i will admit, i wish i could do all this by holding down the lock button on the fob. (I know it's been discussed to death)
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2005, 09:32 AM   #7
benoitch
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran
....did you know you can use the key in your remote to close all the windows??? by locking the door and holding it.
Doesn't work in Canada. My E46 did not and my Sale Rep told me that hasn't changed for the E90. I guess some kind of security rule somewhere might exclude this feature. Personally, I would have like that a lot. How many times was I in the house late at night when I noticed that I had left my sunroof open, rain was possibly in the forcast and that I had to get out with the key and close it manually.

It even happened once where I had left the roof tilt opened and it started to rain. I was in the office. With the distance I could have close it remotely. Instead I had to go in the rain to the car and do it manually.

I do think there are some good reasons. I know I somply have to never let it opened. But hey, sometimes rain is not predictable...

http://www.benoitchampagne.com
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2005, 10:15 AM   #8
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoitch
Doesn't work in Canada. My E46 did not and my Sale Rep told me that hasn't changed for the E90. I guess some kind of security rule somewhere might exclude this feature. Personally, I would have like that a lot. How many times was I in the house late at night when I noticed that I had left my sunroof open, rain was possibly in the forcast and that I had to get out with the key and close it manually.

It even happened once where I had left the roof tilt opened and it started to rain. I was in the office. With the distance I could have close it remotely. Instead I had to go in the rain to the car and do it manually.

I do think there are some good reasons. I know I somply have to never let it opened. But hey, sometimes rain is not predictable...
I still don't understand why you NA people can't use your remote to close...the rest of the world can!

Anywhoo...if my sunroof is in the tilt position, and I hold the unlock button...all the windows role down, then the sunroof closes and then opens fully.

Ps. if you sunroof is in the tilt position, and it rains (but there's no wind pushing the rain in the car) the car won't get wet...
It's happened to me often i've left it in tilt, and it rained, and inside was still dry :P not even a drop!!!
Appreciate 0