E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Suspension question

10-26-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
E31BMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars!

Suspension question

I recently purchased a v4, exhaust,downpipes and a ton of other perf mods and my stock suspension feels very springy. i need to stiffen it up but i need the shocks to be adjustable or give me a sporty but comfortable feel. I am looking for comfort most of the time but at times i want an m3-type feel. Is there any setup you guys would recommend that wont break the bank or feel cheap? thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

If you are looking for a comfort oriented upgrade, I'd suggest the Koni FSD/Eibach Pro Kit. It's a solid mix between performance and comfort, the FSD shocks are dual valved which allows them to stiffen under cornering and ride smoothly under normal conditions.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
E31BMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
If you are looking for a comfort oriented upgrade, I'd suggest the Koni FSD/Eibach Pro Kit. It's a solid mix between performance and comfort, the FSD shocks are dual valved which allows them to stiffen under cornering and ride smoothly under normal conditions.
i have to say i prefer a sporty feeling but not too harsh. i want the car to behave like an m3 basically. would you still recommend those?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by e31e92 View Post
i have to say i prefer a sporty feeling but not too harsh. i want the car to behave like an m3 basically. would you still recommend those?
I would still go with those for a street sport setup. The other option is the H&R Touring Cup Kit which will ride a tad firmer than the FSDs and will be stiffer in all conditions as they are standard single valved shocks.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

Go search for the "Robbing M3 Suspension Bits" thread.
      10-26-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Wow gene. You went to house on this car with performance mods. I hope it wasnt because of me and taking my car for a test!!! So I guess your going to hold onto this car right?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
E31BMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Wow gene. You went to house on this car with performance mods. I hope it wasnt because of me and taking my car for a test!!! So I guess your going to hold onto this car right?
no i am actually getting rid of it and purchasing an 08 335i coupe. i am buying all this stuff for the new one, but performance wise - i got downpipes, full exhaust, v4, intake, getting jerry's intercooler when he is ready to take it off and im not done yet. i gotta say, IT IS because i took you car for a ride, it feels effortlessly quick and i fell in love. When i installed the v4 and intake i knew right away i need down-pipes and an exhaust. im keeping most of the stuff in the garage for now. im basically shooting for your setup minus the meth and nos
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 02:31 PM   #8
E31BMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthepsycho View Post
Go search for the "Robbing M3 Suspension Bits" thread.
thanks man
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 03:24 PM   #9
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
no i am actually getting rid of it and purchasing an 08 335i coupe. i am buying all this stuff for the new one, but performance wise - i got downpipes, full exhaust, v4, intake, getting jerry's intercooler when he is ready to take it off and im not done yet. i gotta say, IT IS because i took you car for a ride, it feels effortlessly quick and i fell in love. When i installed the v4 and intake i knew right away i need down-pipes and an exhaust. im keeping most of the stuff in the garage for now. im basically shooting for your setup minus the meth and nos
O...IC!! You have been a busy bee then!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 01:07 AM   #10
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
I recently purchased a v4, exhaust,downpipes and a ton of other perf mods and my stock suspension feels very springy. i need to stiffen it up but i need the shocks to be adjustable or give me a sporty but comfortable feel. I am looking for comfort most of the time but at times i want an m3-type feel. Is there any setup you guys would recommend that wont break the bank or feel cheap? thanks
The only way to get close to the M3 feel is to do the complete M3 suspension swap, it is not cheap by any means. For installation, talk to Matt at Camber Toe, he is in NJ, should not be far from you.

As for dampers, You will need at least Koni Yellows to keep everything under control. If you don't care about lowering the car, keep the stock springs, otherwise H&R sport is a good compromise even though it is progressive.

Forget about all the cheap coilovers out there, unless it uses high quality dampers and springs, don't even bother, just get Koni Yellows with H&R.
Appreciate 0