E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Which shocks to match HR Sport Springs?

10-24-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
RioGrandeValley
Major
Rep
Drives: E92/E90 Depends on Mood

Question Which shocks to match HR Sport Springs?

Would appreciate any input on maybe getting HR Sport springs for my
06 E90 currently on factory Sport Suspension. Which aftermarket shocks would be good match for the HR Sport Springs? NOT wanting to get coilovers due to $$$ budget.

FYI I live in the DFW area so please keep in mind appropriate shocks needed for my area and driving style:

1) Drive very aggressive
2) Heavy box with 2 Twelve Subs in trunk lowering car already in rear
3) Spare tire/wheel in rear more weight added to rear of car
4) DFW area sucks lots of pot holes rub now only in dips/potholes
5) LM Reps 19x8.5 F with 10mm HR Spacers and 19x9.5 R with 15MM spacers

Numbers 2 and 3 above have added lots of weight in the rear of my car PLUS since running spacers (tires rubbing as is) which type of springs/shocks do I need? I don't like slammed look with tucked wheels. I love Little bit of Poke and sticking out some for aggressive look. I'm guessing shocks/springs needed have to be Stiffer to keeps all that added weight from system and spare tire in rear from killing my tires due to newer drop? If new drop means my car will constantly be rubbing due to extra weight in rear I'm just calling whole thing off.

Thanks in Advance any info Greatly Appreciated!
Mr. Tomato
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
RioGrandeValley
Major
Rep

pic of Tomato as is

Quick pic of my ride. Again thanks for the help I'm into audio and Porsches but clueless when it comes to suspension.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
sleepergm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White 335i M-Tech

Koni FSD ... that is what I am getting right now.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 03:00 AM   #4
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
i just shopped suspensions for a month and from what i read i would not get fsd's no matter what springs you get. go for koni yellows or bilstein sports in my opinion. and really!!!! pot holes in dallas? try living in the north east then talk about pot holes!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 08:20 AM   #5
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 SBM E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
I have Koni FSD's with my H&R sports (about 10K miles now) and have not had any problems..and I like the ride...rides like stock...probably better. Almost everyone on here that HAS NOT experienced the FSD with Sport springs say it's not the way to go. But me along with the only other two people I know of that have this setup are happy with it....

But with that said.....two things..

1. From your current setup, I would think you are definately going to rub with the sports. My rear tires tuck just a hair now..I have 19X10 R. I would think that with spacers, you are going to rub. But you could get the fenders rolled.

2. If you are willing to fork out almost a grand (that's what it will cost for the springs/shocks and shipping), then why not just find some coilovers even though you say you can't afford it. That's the way to go for what you want.....why not save for a few more months and do it the right way.

I grew up around Dallas and the streets aren't THAT bad there....not really compared to anywhere else...you must live in a shitty area...

If you absolutely will not consider CO's, then look at the eibach pro kit/Koni FSD's. EVERYONE that has that setup loves it and with the E90, it lowers it a little better than the E92...
      10-25-2010, 09:00 AM   #6
RioGrandeValley
Major
Rep

Thanks for the input guys really appreciated. Drive down Beltline between 635/114 at 60+ MPH...try heading west 635 between PGB and 121 at 100+MPH and tell me they don't suck? Lots of other backroads and few more main roads bumpy as heck! Irving built of marsh land from what I've heard so soil has shifted and screwed up roads in the area trust me on that.

I'm liking the input from you guys but seems like drop and tuck or drop and RUB even more. Not going to remove the spacers or stretch smaller tires either. Fender rolling not in future either so will keep monitoring the site for further input. Can't wait for my next ride though won't have those problems in SUV. Again thanks for info guys!!!

Mr. Tomato
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 10:54 AM   #7
Infamous
Secret Asian Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

i used to live in las colinas and plano, quality of roads vary from pristine in the newer business park areas to "holy shit" in some older patches. i definitely understand your concern

i'd also be in the school of thought regarding saving for coilovers or using a credit card on them
Appreciate 0