Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > What Model of Sport Edition wheel is this?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-20-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
bavaddict
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 435i MPerf Edit

What Model of Sport Edition wheel is this?

Hi All:

Negotiated a deal on a winter wheelset on the forum here, but the seller has gone MIA after sending payment. So now winter approaching I have decided to move on grab a set locally here. But need some help to figure out what model of Sport Edition wheel these are. I have checked TireRack and this model is'nt there.

Also, does anyone know what size center cap I need for these wheels?

I am hoping, being a TireRack package, Gary might be the man to answer this and save the day

Thanks y'all.

BavAddict
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
bavaddict
Lieutenant
Rep

By the way, Gary, does Tire Rack have variety of sizing available for wheel caps or you are still carrying OE (as you have in the past)?

Would like to know before I finish my PS2 order that way I won't have to pay for shipping twice
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

That doesn't appear to be one from our current Sport Edition line. If you're able to shoot me an email with the part #s off of the back of the wheel I can do further research as to the type and cap size. The only cap size we carry for a BMW cap is the OE BMW caps. No worries about shipping as the cost would be the same total cost whether the caps are ordered at the same time or separately since they have to ship in their own box.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
bavaddict
Lieutenant
Rep

Hi Gary:

Thanks for helping out.

Looked at the wheel and it says "WK188 17x7 JJ (Made in China)". Does this help you help me?

Another question, since I have never purchased used winters before, I am bit wary of tread depth measurement that folks give online. For winters, a good tire should be above its "winter tread wear" bar. Therefore, instead of measuring from the bottom (or I call it summer tire wear bar), one should look for depth of tire tread from "winter tread wear" bar.

OR, I am totally mistaken, and if a tire (such as this one I am looking at which is Dunlop Winter Sport M3) is coming close to this "winter wear bar" i.e. this tire has about 7-8 /32 compared to 11/32, it is still ok for few seasons based on amount of driving.

Here are couple of pics to illustrate what I am saying, you will see that tires are close or around top tread wear bar:

Hopefully, this will help everyone who is wary of used tires like I am

Last edited by bavaddict; 10-25-2010 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: Added pics....
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 10:37 PM   #5
bavaddict
Lieutenant
Rep

After some much needed reading looks like I can now answer my own question. Winter tread wear indicators is approaching on these (and on many that are being sold in the forum here). Perhaps I just need to grab a new set.
Appreciate 0