2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Switching RFTs to Normal - Any issues?

10-12-2010, 08:45 AM   #1
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

Switching RFTs to Normal - Any issues?

I'm planning on replacing the OEM RFTs to normal PS2s or PZeros when they wear out, show bubbles on the side, or one becomes unrepairable for another reason. I have read that people have had issues like electronic warnings and gremlins in the low pressure warning system when switching to normal tires.

Questions:

Has anyone done the switch on a new F10? If so, have you had any computer problems attributed to the switch?
Apparently BMW claims that the switch to normal tires may have an adverse effect on handling because the car was developed to run on RFTs. Any truth to that?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
Apparently BMW claims that the switch to normal tires may have an adverse effect on handling because the car was developed to run on RFTs. Any truth to that?
Yes. Handling, ride quality and noise will all improve.

I went to conventional tires from RFT on my E92 (same TPMS as F10) with no issues except for improvements noted above. I plan to do the same on my F10.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 09:09 AM   #3
marcielago
Private First Class
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: SG F10 550i MSport, CB E39 M5

Why are you willing to exchange your RFT's with normal tires?? Is it because the sound issues and drivability??

If that's the case, then I've seen a couple of reviews on YouTube for the F10/11 that the tires on these cars are very silent even though its new tires they were testing. They also said they handle well.

Ofcourse, you can't know for sure until you really try them yourself for several kmiles
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 09:36 AM   #4
Kev131tc
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep
Drives: Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport

This topic confuses me unless RFT switchers are buying a spare wheel (and tyre) and jack along with finding a secure place to carry same...or are switchers taking a chance with being stranded with a flat..?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
uktivo
Private
Rep
Drives: 530D - F10

Why not just buy tyre repair gunk and a small compressor... surely that will fit in the side pocket in the boot very nicely?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Not cheap but BMW does sell a "mobility kit" which contains exactly what uktivo describes. Came standard on my M3 which does not have runflats or a spare...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 12:20 PM   #7
LuvMyE92
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev131tc View Post
This topic confuses me unless RFT switchers are buying a spare wheel (and tyre) and jack along with finding a secure place to carry same...or are switchers taking a chance with being stranded with a flat..?
You know... if you have a flat with your RFT and you continue to drive on it, you'll destroy the tire. So you're 400 miles from home with a flat, no spare, and you think that any local shop stocks RFTs in this size? What if it happens on a Sunday? Or you get a flat, the tire isn't destroyed, but you are miles from a tire repair shop, on a Saturday night? So you call roadside assistance, three hours later a rollback shows up, takes you 80 miles out of your way, you get a hotel for the night, nothing is open on Sunday so after another night at the Super-8 you get the tire patched Monday? Ha! I think that shows a lack of planning there my friend.

I see that Kev is in Ireland. Out in in the far reaches here in the colonies, you can literally drive hundreds of miles between towns. Or where I live, in the Southeast, everything shuts down for the Lord's day (Sunday) and you generally can't get a tire fixed, anywhere. So trip planning may be a little different than in the UK or Europe.

RFTs are not the panacea that you might wish for (not to end a sentence in a preposition). You should have a bottle of slime and air compressor in your trunk regardless of the tire type. Or a can of fix-a-flat if you prefer. Me, I carry the former and on out of town trips, I have a spare, jack and lug wrench. You can get a kit from Tischer BMW that has everything you need, around $350. Expensive? Yes. How much for two nights in a hotel, ruined vacation and delayed trip? Priceless.

And the F10 trunk is so huge you can put a mini spare back there and still have room for luggage. I used to put the spare in my E92, and that was a tiny trunk, but we still made it work.

References:
Spare tire kit
Slime
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 12:57 AM   #8
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcielago View Post
Why are you willing to exchange your RFT's with normal tires?? Is it because the sound issues and drivability??
No, not because of the sound issues or driveability, but for the same reasons LuvMyE92 mentions below and also because many repair shops in Northern California where I live will not repair run-flats for "liability" issues. Nobody carries run-flats as a general rule so you must order from Tire Rack and it takes at least 2 days to get it. So, wherever you are going if you have a flat your arrival is delayed by two days. There is also cost, a tendency to get damaged beyond reapair after you hit a pothole, uneven wear, etc. etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
You know... if you have a flat with your RFT and you continue to drive on it, you'll destroy the tire. So you're 400 miles from home with a flat, no spare, and you think that any local shop stocks RFTs in this size? What if it happens on a Sunday? Or you get a flat, the tire isn't destroyed, but you are miles from a tire repair shop, on a Saturday night? So you call roadside assistance, three hours later a rollback shows up, takes you 80 miles out of your way, you get a hotel for the night, nothing is open on Sunday so after another night at the Super-8 you get the tire patched Monday? Ha! I think that shows a lack of planning there my friend.

I see that Kev is in Ireland. Out in in the far reaches here in the colonies, you can literally drive hundreds of miles between towns. Or where I live, in the Southeast, everything shuts down for the Lord's day (Sunday) and you generally can't get a tire fixed, anywhere. So trip planning may be a little different than in the UK or Europe.

RFTs are not the panacea that you might wish for (not to end a sentence in a preposition). You should have a bottle of slime and air compressor in your trunk regardless of the tire type. Or a can of fix-a-flat if you prefer. Me, I carry the former and on out of town trips, I have a spare, jack and lug wrench. You can get a kit from Tischer BMW that has everything you need, around $350. Expensive? Yes. How much for two nights in a hotel, ruined vacation and delayed trip? Priceless.

And the F10 trunk is so huge you can put a mini spare back there and still have room for luggage. I used to put the spare in my E92, and that was a tiny trunk, but we still made it work.

References:
Spare tire kit
Slime
Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any kind of space saver spare kit for the F10. I'm also planning on carrying a tire plug kit, jack and wrench until the first RFT needs replacement. After that, only conventional tires and a spare in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 01:09 AM   #9
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev131tc View Post
Even if one did not carry a spare one would just call the tow truck and go to the tire repair shop to take care of it - no "insurance liability issues" to repair a regular tire - or one can even have the tow truck driver repair the tire with a plug and continue the journey immediately thereafter. If the tire is ruined - which is unlikely - the chances of finding a replacement in the size one needs are much greater. BTW, I'm planning on buying a spare and what is needed to install it.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 04:22 AM   #10
kjando
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 545i

RFT Replacement

I have been driving a 2004 545i for the past 6 years. The OEM RFT tires that came with the car were so noisy that the dealer replaced them with non RFT Michelins on a "good will" basis. I have subsequently changed them with another set of non RFT tires as you have a much larger selection and they are generally less expensive. Both sets of non RFT replacement tires have served me well and I have not had any problems with the tire pressure monitor or noticed any significant change in the handling of the car. I plan to purchase a F10 at some point and my replacement tires will be non RFT.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 07:13 AM   #11
LuvMyE92
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any kind of space saver spare kit for the F10.
The kit that I referenced above is not a "space saver" but it is a smaller wheel and tire than OE. Since it is for the E60 it should fit the F10, but one of these days (maybe this weekend?) I'll verify that it actually does fit and clear the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 09:21 AM   #12
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The kit that I referenced above is not a "space saver" but it is a smaller wheel and tire than OE. Since it is for the E60 it should fit the F10, but one of these days (maybe this weekend?) I'll verify that it actually does fit and clear the brakes.
Thank you. I ordered the M-Sport Package with 19" wheels. Tire sizes are 245/40/19 F and 275/35/19 R so I don't think the E60 kit will fit because it would have a different rolling diameter. What sizes does the E60 have? Here is a tire size calculator:

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #13
tk005x
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

I switched over to Michelin Sport Pilot A/S and haven't had any problems. Better ride quality + handing in my opinion.

Also I think it's weird that the sport package comes standard with Grand Touring tires and not ultra performance ones.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 09:36 PM   #14
Jimefam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550I Msport

Its not weird it reflects that BMW's Priority with this car was the added comfort the Grand Touring tires would provide and were willing to sacrifice performance even in the Msport version to get it.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 10:26 PM   #15
CarBrain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mercedes GL 450

Quote:

References:

Slime
LuvMyE92,

Does that Slime kit work with the RFT of the F10? Is it that simple to use and is it that effective?
How long can you drive with this fix?

My wife would be the main driver for the F10 550i and I may buy her this kit since it looks easy to do. My wife is a petite woman so she won't be able to do any tire fixing if there is a flat.
      11-02-2010, 12:28 PM   #16
LuvMyE92
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarBrain View Post
LuvMyE92,

Does that Slime kit work with the RFT of the F10? Is it that simple to use and is it that effective?
How long can you drive with this fix?

My wife would be the main driver for the F10 550i and I may buy her this kit since it looks easy to do. My wife is a petite woman so she won't be able to do any tire fixing if there is a flat.
Yes, it should work fine with the RFT. According to the SLiME web site, the product is guaranteed for two years, at which point it needs to be replaced or the tire repaired. That's not too bad! It has a four year shelf life. However, they go on to say: "we only recommend using SLiME as a repair and recommend that after use the tire be checked to ensure stable air pressure. The tire should be inspected as soon as possible by a tire care professional to determine the need for a permanent repair or replacement."

The TPMS sensor may become inoperative but once cleaned (with water) of the SLiME product it will be fine, or so they claim.

Fortunately, I've never had to use it, but I have a kit in the car and one on the motorcycle. Can't patch bike tires. Well, you "can" but you shouldn't.

-mjb

Last edited by LuvMyE92; 11-02-2010 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: Research
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 12:34 PM   #17
LuvMyE92
Rep

Quote:
OK, yesterday I actually got around to jacking up the car and removing a front wheel to check on this 17" spare wheel. Dang! It is big enough to clear the caliper in circumference, but the front of the caliper hits the wheel. I've ordered some spacers which I think will take care of the problem. I will update the thread when I have a chance to verify that it will work. Yes, it just keeps getting more and more expensive, but it's still cheaper than buying a full-size OE wheel and tire. The spacers come in pairs, so if it works, I'd likely sell my spare if anyone is interested. It's a 5mm spacer.

As for the sport package cars - I don't see why this won't work for you as well, as long as the wheel fits (and with a spacer it should, as your brakes are the same as mine) with a spacer as noted above. Sure, the car will list to the side and you'll likely need to turn off the DSC, DTC, etc. because of the different rotation speeds, but you'll get home OK. And that's what really matters.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #18
FrankyD
Rep
Drives: F10 525D Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Not cheap but BMW does sell a "mobility kit" which contains exactly what uktivo describes. Came standard on my M3 which does not have runflats or a spare...
It's soo much easier when you do not have a choice.... Same as on M5.... Wonder why those perfomance beasts are not on RTFs..... Well I tried 200 km\h and above and those RTFs where really not providing a smooth ride, was becoming a bit rough....
Appreciate 0