BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-08-2006, 11:43 AM   #1
JK42
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E70 BMW X5 4.8i

Anyone thinking about upping the RPMs on the new M3?

Hi,

As you all probably know, BMW extensively tests all their cars at the Nordschleife test-center in Nürnberg (among other places.) Certain elements of cars take a real hard beating (such as the engine) when driven at full speed on such a demanding track, so hard that in fact about 5000 kilometers of Nordschleife at full blast can account for over 100.000km of normal traffic. This is a great way to stress-test parts.

BMW doesn't release parts that don't pass this stress-testing, but how many of us are going to drive over 30-50k miles on the new M3? If it's going to be 8500rpm by default because it needs to last, it might be possible to upgrade the software ECU to make it 9000rpm at the cost of engine life longetivity. It certainly is possible even without compromising the engine life with normal BMW engines such as the N52B30, which BMW itself has admitted can easily take about 7500rpm instead of the 7000rpm that it has been limited to in most cars.

So, in that context, would anyone consider upping their software ECU for the RPMs? I know it's a little radical thought on an M engine which are already strained much more than regular engines, but then again, BMW does it themselves for the competition versions, such as the Z4 M Coupé Rennsport which has the S54B32 with I believe it was 8700rpm rev limiter and 400hp+ tuning (with no major physical changes to engine.)

Of course, unless you buy a competition version from BMW (which aren't street legal, unfortunately ), you're out of warranty if you up your rev limiter, so that's a thing anyone should consider before doing anything like this, and I'm certainly not advocating it - just throwing out a question whether anyone would consider it, especially if there are horsepower gains to be had (as there most certainly will be.)

Best regards,

Jussi
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 11:53 AM   #2
JK42
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggo View Post
Nürburg
In English it's written Nürnberg or Nurenberg... Any thoughts on the topic?

Best regards,

Jussi
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 12:37 PM   #3
JK42
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you Mr Data.

Now would you care to share anything on-topic, such as the RPMs of the current trial versions of the V8 on the new M3?

Best regards,

Jussi
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 06:37 PM   #4
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

it comes down to warranty issue.
if the engine itself is capable of handling 9k rpm and not the first year model, i would do it.
but since this new m3 (e92) is coming out as a "new" model, i wouldnt do it to void my warranty.
i faced too many conflicts with dealers and i am not taking chances.
i will see how many "problems" we get
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 08:30 PM   #5
replicat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 40MPG

Maggo, this seems to hide in the shadows, only chiming in to correct people. Too bad he doesn't give out some specs on our car dammit!!! Jk maggo.

Anywho, I will definitely be adding be building the car internally a little bit (probably just the valvetrain).
So an upgrade of the ECU will definitely be in order. But, you gotta wonder if the cams that will come stock with the E92 M3 will even be making reasonable power that high up. If they don't, the warranty be dammed! A set of cams are definitely going to be in order as well. Not too agressive, but just enough to raise the RPMs for boosting of some sort.
Appreciate 0