BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-05-2006, 05:19 AM   #1
Mora
Registered
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 B6

E92 M3 CSL

Hi guys. What do you know about the new E92 M3 CSL?
Personally I know (by an italian blog) that power will be increased at arround 25/30 Bph and the car will be lighter than the standard version. date? 2008.

What about the price?

I have also others little questions for you on the standard M3:
- Will it have a carbon-fiber roof like the M6 ?
- Will it be available only with the SMGIII automatic-sequential gearbox or also with a classical manual trasmission like E46 M3 ?

Thank you and sorry for mistakes...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2006, 12:57 PM   #2
replicat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 40MPG

Most of your info is right on. There is also alot of info here on the forums and you should feel free to search through the thread, theres tons of info. All be most of it rumors, but usually theres truth behind them.

I think that the E92 M3 should come with a Carbon Fiber roof, just like the M6. The gearbox on it should be a little bit better than the SMGIII, as that technology is 4 years old already. What it will be called has yet to be determined.

My speculation on the CSL is that, it will be just like the E46 M3 CSL, produced in limited quantites, with a similar price tag. And will definitely incorporate lots and lots of weight saving goodies. I sure hope they bring it to the US this time around.

-Pete.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2006, 01:01 PM   #3
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
E92 M3 CSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mora View Post
Hi guys. What do you know about the new E92 M3 CSL?
Personally I know (by an italian blog) that power will be increased at arround 25/30 Bph and the car will be lighter than the standard version. date? 2008.

What about the price?

I have also others little questions for you on the standard M3:
- Will it have a carbon-fiber roof like the M6 ?
- Will it be available only with the SMGIII automatic-sequential gearbox or also with a classical manual trasmission like E46 M3 ?

Thank you and sorry for mistakes...
Well, there is lots of speculation and many rumors flaoting around, but little hard information on even the regular M3, let alone the CSL. The current speculation seems to be the car will be debuted at the Geneva show next March, so there might be official information a little before that. The CSL if there is one (and I feel it is likely) will undoubtedly come later.

Carbon fiber looking roofs have been seen in some spy shots so it is very likely for the CSL, if not for the base model. Both SMG-III (or IV?) and a manual are likely for the M3; by the time the CSL comes out BMW may have a "DSG"-type transmission to take the place of SMG, IMO.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2006, 01:16 PM   #4
replicat
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Well, there is lots of speculation and many rumors flaoting around, but little hard information on even the regular M3, let alone the CSL. The current speculation seems to be the car will be debuted at the Geneva show next March, so there might be official information a little before that. The CSL if there is one (and I feel it is likely) will undoubtedly come later.

Carbon fiber looking roofs have been seen is ome spy shots so it is very likely for the CSL, if not for the base model. Both SMG-III (or IV?) and a manual are likely for the M3; by the time the CSL comes out BMW may have a "DSG"-type transmission to take the place of SMG, IMO.
Wow, great point greg, I never even thought of that, that will be great.
Even though I think that most of the guys who by the CSL are diehard old school racing kind-of guys, so they may prefer a 6 speed manual instead.

PS. Greg, you living in the US as well, when do you think that the E92 M3 will make its debut here in the states? If its worldwide unveiling is in march, the closest after US show would be The NY auto show. Too soon after I think though. Maybe I will get lucky and it will be at the LA auto show. What are your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2006, 04:37 PM   #5
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
E92 M3 stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicat View Post
Wow, great point greg, I never even thought of that, that will be great.
Even though I think that most of the guys who by the CSL are diehard old school racing kind-of guys, so they may prefer a 6 speed manual instead.

PS. Greg, you living in the US as well, when do you think that the E92 M3 will make its debut here in the states? If its worldwide unveiling is in march, the closest after US show would be The NY auto show. Too soon after I think though. Maybe I will get lucky and it will be at the LA auto show. What are your thoughts?
Well, the track is where automatic clutch transmissions really shine, so I think they are very compatible with the CSL concept. Hopefully, full manual trannies will still be offered in both the M3 and CSL for some time, though I think eventually they are going bye.

I could speculate on a US debut, but it would be total guessing. I don't remember when the world or US debuts of the E46 M3 were, but I do know BMW release details in September, 2000 and they started showing up at US races shortly after that, and I remember the Laguna Seca Blue demos showed up at dealers about January or February, 2001, and customer cars were arriving in the US by April or May (got mine late June). The CSL came out in Europe a couple years later.

There were delays in the relaese of production E46 M3s (not sure if they were bearing-related). If the world debut of the E92 is at Geneva next March, I would expect US cars to be arriving at dealers by October.

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2006, 04:54 PM   #6
replicat
Lieutenant
Rep

Hmm, I meant an autoshow debut, but thats a good guess, for october.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2006, 05:16 PM   #7
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hmm, I meant an autoshow debut, but thats a good guess, for october.
Assuming it debuts in Europe at Geneva, the next major show in the US is New York in early April.

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2006, 05:17 PM   #8
JK42
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E70 BMW X5 4.8i

The E46 M3 CSL came out in Spring 2003... And was limited to about 2000 individuals production run. So any speculation of a E92 M3 CSL is really pretty pointless at this point (no pun intended) in my opinion... I don't think we'll be sniffing any of it's details for years to come. Any stuff on any "blogs" about a new E92 M3 CSL is probably made up - unless of course this time around BMW decides to make the new CSL non-exclusive, but then there wouldn't be much point in the regular M3...

Best regards,

Jussi
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2006, 05:26 PM   #9
replicat
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
but then there wouldn't be much point in the regular M3...

Except for those guys im always blabbing about, which account for more than 65% of sales.
C'mon now, you know those yuppies couldn't live without there air conditioning or nappa leather!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2006, 05:35 PM   #10
JK42
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E70 BMW X5 4.8i

The best part about the old E46 CSL was the engine sound. It was such that it would make little children cry and people out on the streets afraid if they heard it
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2006, 06:28 PM   #11
replicat
Lieutenant
Rep

Similar to a neighboor of mine with an 03 cobra. Wow, that thing makes my little cousin cry every time. It sounds like the thunder after lightning hits in the valleys here, american muscle is scary. Not my cup of tea though.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2006, 09:33 PM   #12
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
V8 sound

Quote:
Similar to a neighboor of mine with an 03 cobra. Wow, that thing makes my little cousin cry every time. It sounds like the thunder after lightning hits in the valleys here, american muscle is scary. Not my cup of tea though.
I must say, if BMW can make the M3 sound as good as the high-performance Ford V8s, it will be a treat. Cobra V8s and even regular Mustangs sound darn good, IMO.

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2006, 12:30 PM   #13
replicat
Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah, the sound is spectacular but its not my favorite, its just scary. Just for kicks here is a list on how I would rank car exhausts.

1. European Supercars (Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc.)
2. European 6/8 Cylinders (BMW I6, AMG V8, etc.)
3. Japanese 4/6 Cylinders (Type-R, Skyline GT-R, etc.)
4. American V8s (Cobra, Corvette Z06, etc.)
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2006, 04:42 PM   #14
Mora
Registered
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 B6

thank you guys!
Appreciate 0