BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

11-03-2006, 09:21 PM   #1
em00guy
Rep
Drives: 2006 Nissan Altima

m3 + minnesota = ?

Would i be a fool to purchase an M3 with the intent of using it for winter driving (w/snows of course). Any experiences out there?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2006, 12:24 AM   #2
NoelSmart
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1997 328iS

I currently drive a 1997 328is and live in Pittsburgh. We have a few bad snowstorms a year here and it is a very hilly area. My BMW isn't a new M3, but it is a rear wheel drive BMW 3 series. From my experience, you will be fine. The new 3 series and M3 have an even better traction control system than my 3 series. Buy a second set of wheels with snow tires and you will have no problem at all. I reccomend Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires, they have been absolutely awesome for me! I'll drive past sliding, fishtailing SUVs that are supposed to be good in snow with confidence using these tires. The traction and control in snow and ice is unbeatable.

Just make sure you wash that M3 a lot, you don't want road salt damaging that beautiful machine!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2006, 11:59 AM   #3
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
M3s are driven in germany all the time and it snows pretty bad there at times Actually with a good set of winter tires, your m3 will handle better then most SUVs. I have an E46 lowered pretty low on coilovers and with some blizzaks Ive never encountered a snow pile that was too much for the car to handle. I actually drove through the blizzard we had last year in the north east (yes during the blizzard). I was on the NJ turnpike before the snow plows were out there, it was me, about 2-3 other SUVs and a police car, I never once had a problem. I did hit some snow mounds that were as high as the window line of my car, that was pretty bad. But I was able to reverse out of them and continue on my way. That was a crazy day, but I was so impressed that my lowered, kitted BMW could handle that blizzard with just the right set of wheels/tires

11-04-2006, 07:15 PM   #4
em00guy
Rep
Drives: 2006 Nissan Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE90M3 View Post
M3s are driven in germany all the time and it snows pretty bad there at times Actually with a good set of winter tires, your m3 will handle better then most SUVs. I have an E46 lowered pretty low on coilovers and with some blizzaks Ive never encountered a snow pile that was too much for the car to handle. I actually drove through the blizzard we had last year in the north east (yes during the blizzard). I was on the NJ turnpike before the snow plows were out there, it was me, about 2-3 other SUVs and a police car, I never once had a problem. I did hit some snow mounds that were as high as the window line of my car, that was pretty bad. But I was able to reverse out of them and continue on my way. That was a crazy day, but I was so impressed that my lowered, kitted BMW could handle that blizzard with just the right set of wheels/tires

Well there's my answer. Thanks alot. Happy your still with us.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2006, 03:13 AM   #5
replicat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 40MPG

Wow mark, no damage was done? Thanks for the recommendation on tires guys, I just had my brother ask me what snow tires are best.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2006, 01:06 PM   #6
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by replicat View Post
Wow mark, no damage was done? Thanks for the recommendation on tires guys, I just had my brother ask me what snow tires are best.
Lol well I cant say there wasnt damage, my front bumper was scratched up to all hell and both my foglamps were cracked/shattered (one later fell out). But overall, id say that is very very minor compared to what the car went through. To this day i'm extremly proud of my car and what it did. The 3 series really is an all weather all situation car if its properly setup.
      11-05-2006, 01:18 PM   #7
replicat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 40MPG

Haha . Sad to hear it, but at least the damage was minimal.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2006, 01:28 PM   #8
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by em00guy View Post
Would i be a fool to purchase an M3 with the intent of using it for winter driving (w/snows of course). Any experiences out there?
M cars need a little bit of warming up before use, doing it in colder climate states makes me think I just going to have to wait a little bit more longer that average.

But a car is a car, you can drive it anywhere!
Have Fun with your staggered wheels
Appreciate 0