BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

10-28-2006, 01:22 PM   #1
replicat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 40MPG

How well will the e92 M3 will respond to mods?

Since there had been no new threads to spark new conversation on here, I was bored and wanted to make one.

The question for everyone to argue or agree about is: How well do you guys think that the new M3 will respond to mods?

Alot of people think that the power going in there will be "maxed out" so to say. And are saying that it will not respond well to mods such as exhaust, forced induction, etc..etc..

With that said what mods do you guys plan on for you M3?

All be well,

-Pete.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2006, 02:01 PM   #2
John
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

im sure there will be mods, it will take a long time. but since right now you see on bmw magazines and tuners that m3 is the car that is most popular to use.

i think some of it will shift to the 335, cause of its most likely easier modability. but i am convinced the m3 will still be have everyone's attention, fans and tuners included

time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2006, 02:09 PM   #3
replicat
Lieutenant
Rep

Man I sure hope not, just imagine, all of the jerks with a little sports coupe blowing our doors off. Just with some simple bolt ons.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2006, 03:48 PM   #4
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicat View Post
Man I sure hope not, just imagine, all of the jerks with a little sports coupe blowing our doors off. Just with some simple bolt ons.
i dont want that happening...
MOD MOD MOD!!!
also, i dont believe in "max out" from any car companies, to be honest.
there will be ways to pull out enourmous performance out of m3, however it will cost quite a lot of money...who knows?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2006, 04:28 PM   #5
enigma
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and Elise

How much $$$ do you have to spend? It won't be cheap.

I have seen 400hp E46s (NA) out here. The old I6 was closer to maxed from the factory than the new V8 will be. Unless it makes over 450hp stock, then perhaps not.

The suspension should be simple to improve given BMWs track record here.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2006, 05:38 PM   #6
NoelSmart
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1997 328iS

I know the M5 is still pretty new but how available are mods for it? The M3 is gonna be the M5 engine with two cylinders lopped off for the most part. That might give some indication.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2006, 06:05 PM   #7
replicat
Lieutenant
Rep

I believe the same, that the e46 was closer to being "maxed out" The more displacement the more room for improvement and the better it will respond. So I personally think that any FI on this car will produce a good response.

Supercharged 650hp E92 M3's, Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2006, 06:11 PM   #8
JK42
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E70 BMW X5 4.8i

Mm. Actually, like I've said like 3 times now, the new M3 engine will be a completely new V8 design, not "M5 engine with two cylinders lopped off". M GmbH does not do that when they design engines. Period. Especially given that the S85B50 is a 4-year old design and BMW has perfected new engine materials and design techniques since (the world's first magnesium-aluminium block, for example), which will surely be taken advantage of as much as possible, to decrease the weight of the engine - for example.

Best regards,

Jussi
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2006, 06:15 PM   #9
schuyler
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK42 View Post
Mm. Actually, like I've said like 3 times now, the new M3 engine will be a completely new V8 design, not "M5 engine with two cylinders lopped off". M GmbH does not do that when they design engines. Period. Especially given that the S85B50 is a 4-year old design and BMW has perfected new engine materials and design techniques since (the world's first magnesium-aluminium block, for example), which will surely be taken advantage of as much as possible, to decrease the weight of the engine - for example.

Best regards,

Jussi
Unfortunately that's what the general public thinks because all the automotive publications out there have reported the M3 engine as the M5 engine minus two cylinders.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2006, 06:15 PM   #10
replicat
Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you Jussi, I was hoping that you'd chime in.

Side note: I was watching the way that they make the magnesium anluminum engine blocks, it truly is amazing. www.bmwusa.com has the video somewhere in Vehicle Innovation.

And the general public are such poor fools, its like the magazines and the public website have misinformitis. They do nothing but spread bad info. Boy do I hate it.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2006, 06:27 PM   #11
JK42
First Lieutenant
Rep

Like I said in another thread, automotive press is mostly garbage. They do not care about the cars they test and misinform people a lot. Every BMW review I read, there are always facts that are wrong or omitted completely. Just rely on the net, and you don't even have to pay for it, unlike for the rags.

Best regards,

Jussi
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2006, 06:30 PM   #12
replicat
Lieutenant
Rep

One thing you do have to admit though. Is that every Motor Trend, Car & Driver, or Autoweek test driver is the one of the luckiest sons of bitches alive.

I supposed not for you Jussi, because you sort of fall into this category too, to bad that you don't get to publish your reviews internationally.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2006, 06:44 PM   #13
JK42
First Lieutenant
Rep

And that's why I really wonder why they don't usually bother to do the legwork to find out what the car really is about. They write about irrelevant facts, while there are real things to write about, such as the real technological advances of every new model or every new engine, which they almost never touch.

I test drive and write internal reports of BMW cars just because automotive press is something that cannot be referenced for true technical information, so I guess in a way I'm lucky that they aren't useful or trustworthy - if they were, I wouldn't have that job, which I completely enjoy. Two weeks from now it's going to be the new X5. Interesting to see, as we might already have snow then and it's a SAV/4WD so the weather should fit the car perfectly, and when the snow sets in there'll be a second review of the new X3 in winter conditions, but that hasn't been scheduled yet.

Best regards,

Jussi
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2006, 06:47 PM   #14
replicat
Lieutenant
Rep

Lucky bastard!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2006, 11:40 AM   #15
YYdoodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 fanatic

super/turbocharged V8 anyone?

e46 m3 always had great aftermarket tuning but was limited by the crazy stressed out engine. Hopefully BMW has left the V8 here with enough room for some crazy #'s. 400+hp is plenty enough for me but I can't wait to see some people here think that's not enough and go for more
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2006, 01:10 PM   #16
replicat
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terps View Post
super/turbocharged V8 anyone?

e46 m3 always had great aftermarket tuning but was limited by the crazy stressed out engine. Hopefully BMW has left the V8 here with enough room for some crazy #'s. 400+hp is plenty enough for me but I can't wait to see some people here think that's not enough and go for more
I would be the latter of which you we're speaking. I want my E92 M3 to be no less than 500hp to the wheels. 600+ crank. I want to be able to walk away from %99.9 of cars on the road. Bwahahah!!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2006, 09:37 PM   #17
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK42 View Post
Like I said in another thread, automotive press is mostly garbage. They do not care about the cars they test and misinform people a lot. Every BMW review I read, there are always facts that are wrong or omitted completely. Just rely on the net, and you don't even have to pay for it, unlike for the rags.

Best regards,

Jussi
Gotta agree.

I cant imagine new m3 with turbo/supercharger...
that's gonna smoke quite a lot of cars out there LOL
Appreciate 0