E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Stoptech Trophy Sport BBK Review

09-28-2010, 03:35 PM   #1
turb0mik3
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Racecar

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
Stoptech Trophy Sport BBK Review

First off, I would like to thank everyone at HP Autowerks (Harold and Peter) for getting this setup in line for me and for the hassle free and proffesional installation! If anyone has the opportunity to work with them for anything, I strongly suggest it!

Now after the shout outs, I will first need to apologize because I have never written an extensive review for an item. I have given short descriptions of new purchases, but nothing too special. This will be my first attempt, so bare with me!

Stoptech Trophy Sport BBK

6 Piston front - 355mm rotor front - 83.857.6700.R1 msrp: $3745
4 Piston rear -345mm rotor rear - 83.857.0047.R1 msrp: $3245

Some cool features about this BBK system compared to other conventional Stoptech BBK systems...
- Trophy STR lightweight forged calipers
- Calipers have an anodized coating for maximum protection
- Nearly 20% weight savings from conventional system
- Increased airflow by 11% throughout the system (due to the hat system configuration)

After about 9 months of driving with the stock brakes, I was eager to get my hands on a BBK. The stock brakes would be sufficient for everyday driving and with only me in the car. After I started to add occupants in the passenger seats, the brakes slowly started to become less effected. Any brake system will become less effective when the weight piles up, but the stock brakes seemed to not have the capabilities of stoping the car in a panic situation. One example i can think of was during the stock days of my car when I was trying to keep up with my buddy's cobra and I lightly applied the brakes because I was getting to an uncomfortable speed. The response was quite awful, the steering wheel buckled and I could instantly feel the brakes wanting to lock up. The stock brakes have a great bite in the begining of the process, but that bite just stays constant throughout the braking and makes for a rather harsh, but unabrupt, stop. There is no feel for braking pressure, if that makes any sense. That is the only time when I had to really test the stock brake system. Common aggressive driving was barable but i would always feel like the front would stop in a decent time while the back end of the car was still floating forward on aggressive braking.

After installing the BBK I didn't want to go wild within the first week. I wanted to feel the gradual difference in ability. To my amazment, there really wasn't that big of a difference between stock and stoptech during daily driving. During daily driving, and for that matter tracking events, the tire is just as important, if not more, than the brake system you are running. I did notice the stainless steel brakes lines however. There seemed to be a slightly quicker response than that of the rubber stock lines. It is hard to describe because the difference was minimal, but overall daily driving stopping was slightly increased.

My stock brakes never saw the track, and thank goodness. I am spoiled to have had my first track (well, autoX) with this BBK. The autocross was totally dependant on my suspension and braking. During my first few runs I could instantly tell the difference. Granted I had on race prep tires, the brakes always felt comfortable and never gave the sign of fading performance. I would enter turns way late because I could slow down so quickly. I had an instructor yell that I was going into a corner too fast, only to have his head thrown forward in amazement. Again, the brakes saw no fade in performance as they were strong through every run.

The main difference I could feel between the stock and BBK setup was the braking behavior. With the stock brakes, the initial pressure bit was violent and would give an uncomfortable jerk. All the stopping power seemed to be with that initial pressure and it just stays that way no matter how much pressure was applied to the brake pedal. With the Stoptech system, the original pressure would only give somewhat of a responce. The brake pedal is pretty pressurized, so you need to give more to see the more responce. This leads to a smooth "powerful" braking that allows the car to stop so quickly.

In addition to all that power, these brakes look unbelivable. I love how they are rather stealthy (not bright red or yellow) and that fits my style. I like to show some flair but stay relatively under the radar with cosmetic mods (all I have is a diffuser, black grills, and tint). The BBS LMs conceil the stoptechs for everyday use, which kind of makes me sad, but when the track DForce wheels go on, it is another story. The dark car and wheels make the anodized coating pop with flair. If you are looking for a subtle yet impressive looking system, this is the system for you!

Some pics with track wheels...

Thanks for everyone who snuck a peak at the review. I tried to make it as professional as I could, so hopefully i will improve with each review! Thanks again and I hope to see your car with some stoptechs on it soon!

HG Motorsports | Motiv Motorsport | Sparta Evolution | BBS Motorsports | Sabelt | JRZ |
NASA ST1 SoCal --- 554whp/487wtrq --- 3200lbs <<YouTube Channel w/ Race Videos>>
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Nice write up! Looks sick! So brake proportioning was not affected? How's the pedal travel?
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
turb0mik3
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
Nice write up! Looks sick! So brake proportioning was not affected? How's the pedal travel?
I am not exactly sure what you mean by proportioning? The pedal travel feels less with the BBK, but that's because you really have to apply pressure to the brakes after the initial "touch." You never really have enough time to get super far into the pedal because it stops so quickly . But it is stiff, let me tell ya, in a good way (that's what she said )

HG Motorsports | Motiv Motorsport | Sparta Evolution | BBS Motorsports | Sabelt | JRZ |
NASA ST1 SoCal --- 554whp/487wtrq --- 3200lbs <<YouTube Channel w/ Race Videos>>
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Proportioning aka brake bias: how much front brake force vs rear. The e90 controls it via computer. It shouldn't be affected but the car can only adjust it within a certain range. Good to know the pedal firms up. The stock brakes have too much travel. My brake pedal goes below the gas pedal on the track which makes it difficult to heal-toe.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
gt3fever
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 GT3, G87

looking good ! saw ur car in person when i brought my car to Harold for suspension tuning. im the one w/ black e92 and eisenmann exhaust
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 04:57 PM   #6
oomikeyboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

Garage List
2011 335i  [0.00]
These look awesome! nice write up.
      09-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
turb0mik3
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
Proportioning aka brake bias: how much front brake force vs rear. The e90 controls it via computer. It shouldn't be affected but the car can only adjust it within a certain range. Good to know the pedal firms up. The stock brakes have too much travel. My brake pedal goes below the gas pedal on the track which makes it difficult to heal-toe.
O! I hated pushing the pedal all the way down, so I feel ya on that one. I haven't actually reached the bottom of the gas pedal when braking, so it is a big plus. As far as the brake bias, I do feel more in the front (due to the 6 pistons and probably the momentum), but the rear isn't shoved down my throat like with the stock setup. It stays firm and in place (the back end would wiggle out a little with the stock setup when I would brake hard).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipertech View Post
looking good ! saw ur car in person when i brought my car to Harold for suspension tuning. im the one w/ black e92 and eisenmann exhaust
O, it was nice to see you and you have a beautiful e92!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oomikeyboy View Post
These look awesome! nice write up.
Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 06:11 PM   #8
turb0mik3
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
Another note to mention. My buddy just drove my car and was amazed at how different the Trophy Sport is from the regular BBK from Stoptech. The pedal feel is 100% stiffer . He complaimed about having to push the brake pedal in so far when he brakes, whereas I give maybe an inch worth of displacement to the brake pedal and it is super firm.

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 07:45 AM   #9
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Wow thats sexy.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 01:25 PM   #10
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mflowt5 View Post
Another note to mention. My buddy just drove my car and was amazed at how different the Trophy Sport is from the regular BBK from Stoptech. The pedal feel is 100% stiffer . He complaimed about having to push the brake pedal in so far when he brakes, whereas I give maybe an inch worth of displacement to the brake pedal and it is super firm.
He may need to bleed his brakes again.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 05:12 PM   #11
335isGuy
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Bmw 340xi Msport

Garage List
Im sure there great but a bit over kill for most people. I mean I run PFC-01 Pads, Fluid, SS Lines, and OEM Euro Floating Rotors slotted and a soild pin so that the calpiers dont flex. Cooling ducts and still out brake alot of cars in my series. But as a show piece sure. Weight ok. Easy to change pads, ok. But over 7k.... Sorry cant justify it.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 02:06 PM   #12
turb0mik3
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335isGuy View Post
Im sure there great but a bit over kill for most people. I mean I run PFC-01 Pads, Fluid, SS Lines, and OEM Euro Floating Rotors slotted and a soild pin so that the calpiers dont flex. Cooling ducts and still out brake alot of cars in my series. But as a show piece sure. Weight ok. Easy to change pads, ok. But over 7k.... Sorry cant justify it.
I totally agree, I bought it off of HP's race car and they only had 5 or 10 laps on them. So I saved like 60%. But if anyone is serious about racing and has money to blow, this would be the BBK to get.

Appreciate 0