E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Hawaii > Dealership and mods?

09-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
Chard
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Dealership and mods?

How is the dealership and mods? I haven't dont anything to my car yet, but I'm just wondering if the dealership is mod-friendly.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chard View Post
How is the dealership and mods? I haven't dont anything to my car yet, but I'm just wondering if the dealership is mod-friendly.
Recent experience will lead me to believe that they will point out any mod that you have as a way to refuse warranty service. Sad bad true.
      09-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
Chard
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

yikes! I better wait until my warranty is expired to mod the car then. Thanks for the heads up.

BTW, do you have any service writer recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 02:01 AM   #4
wchoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 AW e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
Recent experience will lead me to believe that they will point out any mod that you have as a way to refuse warranty service. Sad bad true.
really... i took my car in for service and also break squeaks and suspension creaks and they didnt say anything about the DCI's or dp's or exhaust system...
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
Chard
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchoy View Post
really... i took my car in for service and also break squeaks and suspension creaks and they didnt say anything about the DCI's or dp's or exhaust system...
Who's your service writer? I want the same guy, lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 12:02 AM   #6
SnEeKy4LiFe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

The dealer are not mod friendly.. they will write everything down for what you have. I had led interior lights and they wrote it down.. just a FYI..
      09-29-2010, 01:43 AM   #7
jtmililani808
Private
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

Bill Martin is really good if he's still there.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 02:55 AM   #8
wchoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 AW e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chard View Post
Who's your service writer? I want the same guy, lol.
i dont really know... My dad know a bunch of the SA's from previous car dealerships who have moved to BMW. i think my dad asked if it was alright and i think the SA's cleared it... The guy who drove the car out after it was done was pretty impressed and gave me a good grin.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 03:57 AM   #9
NatAsp-M3
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Got springs, full exhaust, aib lights, wheels, they've never marked anything on me. I'd say that's pretty mod-friendly.

e90M3, sold: Akrapovic // Brembo // VRS // Eisenmann // Advan RS // ESS // Challenge
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 12:40 PM   #10
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmililani808 View Post
Bill Martin is really good if he's still there.
He's the guy I dealt with and while he is good, once the tech made a remark he folded like a piece of tin foil. Luckily I had backup data to prove that what the tech was telling me was total BS. I don't think the tech liked that too much because he gave a bunch of attitude after that.
      10-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #11
david @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

A Dealership cannot legally void any warranty just because you have an aftermarket part on the car. Refusing service is also bundled with that, because refusal of service is technically in a way, voiding service or warranty to the vehicle. Because of the Magnuson and Moss Warranty act, a dealership has to perform service on the vehicle, unless the warranty is void because an aftermarket part has been damaged, or has damaged another part of the car that is still under warranty. Even then, they wont void the whole car, they'll just void that specific part.

For example, if you bought springs, and they wore down the shocks/struts, then of course they will not replace your shocks/struts. Next time if you go to the dealership and they mention anything like that, just mention the Magnuson and Moss Warranty act and they usually chill out. But I've never had an experience like this at Crevier, they don't care about any of the parts on my car.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #12
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurrian @ eas View Post
A Dealership cannot legally void any warranty just because you have an aftermarket part on the car. Refusing service is also bundled with that, because refusal of service is technically in a way, voiding service or warranty to the vehicle. Because of the Magnuson and Moss Warranty act, a dealership has to perform service on the vehicle, unless the warranty is void because an aftermarket part has been damaged, or has damaged another part of the car that is still under warranty. Even then, they wont void the whole car, they'll just void that specific part.

For example, if you bought springs, and they wore down the shocks/struts, then of course they will not replace your shocks/struts. Next time if you go to the dealership and they mention anything like that, just mention the Magnuson and Moss Warranty act and they usually chill out. But I've never had an experience like this at Crevier, they don't care about any of the parts on my car.
Everytime this comes up someone always has to bring up the MMA issue but it means absolutely nothing because once the dealer refuses to honor the warranty it is your word against theirs. At that moment the burden is on you to prove that you should be covered under warranty. It is on you to try to get BMWNA involved and it is on you if you want to get an attorney involved. So no matter how much you think the MMA protects you, it really means nothing. This is even more of an issue in Hawaii because its not like you can just say screw them and go to another dealer. There is only one dealer on the island so they pretty much got you by the balls.
      10-31-2010, 12:54 AM   #13
Novator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 E46 M3

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
Everytime this comes up someone always has to bring up the MMA issue but it means absolutely nothing because once the dealer refuses to honor the warranty it is your word against theirs. At that moment the burden is on you to prove that you should be covered under warranty. It is on you to try to get BMWNA involved and it is on you if you want to get an attorney involved. So no matter how much you think the MMA protects you, it really means nothing. This is even more of an issue in Hawaii because its not like you can just say screw them and go to another dealer. There is only one dealer on the island so they pretty much got you by the balls.
Its sad, but so true. Can't wait to leave island for good in the next 6 months