E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > KW V1 coilover of XI issue

09-25-2010, 05:40 PM   #1
Echan330
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

KW V1 coilover of XI issue

Today, I had the coil-overs installed by a mechanic. The install was completed and the front sits higher than stock when the adjuster is down half way. I had checked and the OEM bump stop was not installed. Anyone know what maybe wrong? I'm suspecting perhaps I was shipped a standard RWD version front strut (hence longer and unable to lower as much)? Below are some photos I took of the front strut. As it stands now, I can pretty much stick my fist into to the wheel gap when the car is off the lift. Thanks for any input.

Last edited by Echan330; 09-25-2010 at 09:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
Echan330
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

And here are photos of my 3-series SUV

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 12:05 PM   #3
Ronin416
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Looks like you have more threads left to lower the perch further.

Go ahead and thread the perches all the way down and see if how that looks.

BTW, did it come with that big rubber boot on the coilover or did you transfer that from the stock shock?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 10:56 PM   #4
11N65
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 S65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echan330 View Post
Today, I had the coil-overs installed by a mechanic. The install was completed and the front sits higher than stock when the adjuster is down half way. I had checked and the OEM bump stop was not installed. Anyone know what maybe wrong? I'm suspecting perhaps I was shipped a standard RWD version front strut (hence longer and unable to lower as much)? Below are some photos I took of the front strut. As it stands now, I can pretty much stick my fist into to the wheel gap when the car is off the lift. Thanks for any input.

The stock dust cover shouldn't be installed
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

I just went through basically the same thing with my Ohlins coilover install. In my case, the struts were not inserted all the way into the hub. The lowest 2" of the strut is smaller diameter, with a step to the larger outer diameter for the rest of the strut, and the mechanic simply inserted the strut up to that first step and overtightened the clamp. The clamp needed to be pried open, and then the strut slipped another 3" down into the hub, at which point the tab on the strut keyed properly into the slot.
My car looked identical to yours, I was bummed having had these parts installed to lower my car and to get it back 2" taller than when I brought it in. It's fine now.

I bet this is your issue as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 11:40 PM   #6
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
I just went through basically the same thing with my Ohlins coilover install. In my case, the struts were not inserted all the way into the hub. The lowest 2" of the strut is smaller diameter, with a step to the larger outer diameter for the rest of the strut, and the mechanic simply inserted the strut up to that first step and overtightened the clamp. The clamp needed to be pried open, and then the strut slipped another 3" down into the hub, at which point the tab on the strut keyed properly into the slot.
My car looked identical to yours, I was bummed having had these parts installed to lower my car and to get it back 2" taller than when I brought it in. It's fine now.

I bet this is your issue as well.

There is a special tool to keep the spindle/clamp open while the strut can inserted. That way you have two free hands to do the work.

All struts should have a stop and that should sit in the slot.
Appreciate 0