E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Considernig a 335i

09-25-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
Fox530
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

Considernig a 335i

Hi guys,

New to this forum - thought I'd register and lurk around to gain some more information on E92's and E93's.

I currently drive a 2001 530i Sport which I've had for over 4 years. I'm looking to replace it in the near future, and an E92/E93 335i is my current favourite. So I figured I'd find out a bit more about what they are like to own - given I already know what they are like to drive, what the spec is like, etc.

I like my cars to be brilliant all rounders - as at home in the city as they are on longer trips, etc etc. A car that does everything well rather than some things absolutely awesomely yet others less good. I've never been a huge fan of the E60 so I've turned to the E92/E93 with my hunt for a worthy replacement for what has been the best car I've ever owned.

I'm primarily interested in the costs associated with E92 ownership and how they might compare to the costs I've incurred owning my E39. I'd like to keep things pretty similar.

I'm going to be looking at late 2007 or 2008 cars, probably Approved Used/Certified Pre-Owned from a dealer so I'll get a years warranty and then be able to extend the warranty (Something I didnt do on my 530i). That said, it'd still be cool to get some sort of idea about what the reliability is like on these, what goes wrong, how much it costs, etc etc. Are they generally reliable? I've heard of issues with the high pressure fuel pump.

Cost wise my 530i does 19mpg (15mpg US) in city driving but at a constant 70mph on a long journey it will happily return 35-36mpg (30mpg US). I generally tend to average 27mpg (22mpg US) on a month split roughly 50/50 between city and long distance driving.

The quoted combined fuel consumption figure from BMW here in the UK is exactly the same between my 530i and the 335i. Therefore my expectation is that the fuel economy should be about the same despite the 335i's 100bhp more power and two turbos. Is this reasonable? What sort of real life economy do you guys get on the freeway, or around town, etc?

I already pay £600ish ($950) for a set of tires and I would imagine servicing costs are the same. What do you guys pay?

Basically, am I right on the money thinking that the 335i is going to have similar costs to my 530i? Perhaps less, as I'm currently spending anywhere between $1000 and $2500 a year on repairs as the car gets older which a warranty on the 335i would take car of.

What about the E93? It's a considerably heavier car, isn't it - when I took one out at the dealer I was quite underwhelmed with the performance, though it was full of both of my girlfriend and the salesman at the time. How do they compare to the E92 performance wise, really? Are they noticeably heavier on gas? How reliable is that metal folding roof?

Any other tips? Has anyone else gone from an E39 to an E92? Were you happy? Did it feel like an upgrade even though you moved from a 5 to a 3? I really, really like my 530i and I don't really want to part with it but I'm beginning to get tired of owning an older car and feel that the $$$ I pay out repairing it is just a bit of a waste of money really.

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
Fox530
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

Oh - and one more thing.

330i?

The on paper specifications look incredible. 272bhp, 0-60 6.0, yet fantastic fuel economy.

But it isn't a 335i, is it? How does it compare, really? I'm happy with the projected fuel consumption of a 335i but if the 330i offers a significant saving in this area without losing much elsewhere then maybe its worth a thought...

Or would I always be regretting not getting the proper one?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

If the 330 is the UK equivalent of the US 328i get it and save yourself a bunch of reliability issues. 335i is a GREAT performer, but many relate reliability issues, particularly the Turbos, wastegates, and of course the HPFP.

Absolutely love my 335i, and am glad I have it with extended warranty. Probably won't keep it past that unless it's flawless in reliability until then.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
hjernazian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

honestly, fuel consumption on a 335, and any car for that matter is almost completely driver dependent. days that I drive the car calmly (not many) i average what BMW says I will average, days that I don't, well I average about 14 mpg at best, but i drive pretty aggressively.

prior to my 335, i had a 328, and prior to that I had a 99 540i. You will not be disapointed going from an old body 5 series to a 335, trust me.