E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW CF Performance Splitters - Installation Suggestions

09-23-2010, 07:54 AM   #1
LightWerkz
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

BMW CF Performance Splitters - Installation Suggestions

I purchase the JL motoring front splitters for the 2011 335i sedan with the Msport package. The fitment is really good, however I cant seem to get the tap to stick the material. I cleaned it up before I added the tape. Im using the strong 3m mounting tape, and usually this sticks to everything, so Im curious if anyone has any other suggestions.

I know BMW suggests using the Betalink, but I really rather not. I rather be able to remove these if I ever decide too. Ideally I would like to use the double sided tape, but I also dont want to chance these flying off the car while on the highway due to an weak bond.

I was considering drilling a small hole and running a rivet through the splitter into the bottom side of the bumper to give it additional reinforcement.

Any suggestions are welcome. if you have some photos to share, please do!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
sh0rtdyboy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 335i lci m-sport

i used 3m double sided tape on mine it's been 10 months it's on there firm. i don't think rivets are needed.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

what did you clean it up with? Did you use rubbing alcohol or something to ensure all wax or other polish was removed? Just cleaning it so it's not dirty isn't enough. you need to ensure the tape isn't trying to stick to a polished or waxed surface.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
LightWerkz
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I cleaned up the inside of the splitters with a general purpose cleaner.

JL advised me to put the tape on the splitters, not on the car. You guys suggest adding it on the car itself?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 11:44 AM   #5
scrufy
Zoom Zoom This
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Short Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWerkz View Post
I cleaned up the inside of the splitters with a general purpose cleaner.

JL advised me to put the tape on the splitters, not on the car. You guys suggest adding it on the car itself?
The tape should stick to the splitter wether you do the splitter first or the car. You probably want to put it on the splitter and not the car, that way you know you have it in exactly the right place... FYI I used the heavy duty 3m tape (the grey tape with the red plastic you pull off) on my deck spoiler and that thing is on solid! Seriously solid- and I was going to beta link it after a day because I was worried about it coming off and killing someone behind me but after a day when I went to remove it, it was stuck so dam good that I left it. FWIW I used a clay bar around the area before applying my spoiler and I used windex to clean the spoiler then applied tape, after I just re-waxed all around there.
Appreciate 0