E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > installing coilovers without spring compressor

09-15-2010, 09:35 PM   #1
roo97ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4, X6M, Tesla Plaid, MYP, Ram

installing coilovers without spring compressor

Well, i already did this once and put the perf susp with an eibach pro kit.

missing the adjustability of coilovers, so i just ordered them; and i'm not looking forward to getting back under the car for the install...

i used the larryn approach from here http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15397 and used the spring compressors on the car, something i never like to do. got them compressed and got them in and out.

Now i was just tooling around the web looking for install data and came across this.

"The limited suspension movement meant the hub wouldn't drop enough to free the strut, so Sam removed the three 13mm nuts that secure the top of the strut into the suspension tower - you can do this without removing the strut tower brace if you use a 13mm open-ended wrench on one of the nuts (pic 15).

This allowed the strut to move more freely, but the suspension still didn't have enough movement to free the strut, so the steering arm linkage was undone. With some more jiggling, the strut finally came loose.
"

http://www.eurotuner.com/techarticle...n_install.html

Has anyone tried this, just disconnecting the tie rods and flipping it fully down further to get them out without compressing them on the car.

I don't mind compressing out of the car, but not a fan of doing it on the car from the tedious nature as well as safety standpoint.

If no one else has tried I may next week when the coilovers get here. If it works i'll report back, unless someone here can tell me their experience to do or not to do this.

Joe
      09-15-2010, 09:43 PM   #2
ChrisB41
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

I just put coilovers on my car. I disconnected the swaybar link, and took out the bolt that holds the strut in the hub and then used a air hammer to push the hub down off the strut. Then took off the 3 nuts on top and the strut came right out. If you dont have a air hammer a regular hammer will work.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #3
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

also, when you install the coilovers, turn the spring perch all the way down. that will give you extra clearance to get the strut in. Then once it's in, turn the perch back up.
Appreciate 0