2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum New Michelin Snow Tire Available

09-15-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

New Michelin Snow Tire Available

If you are in the market for a snow tire for the GT with run-flat, there have not been too many choices. Michelin has just made the first production run of the PA3 in 245/50-18 runflat configuration and they are available in small quantities. I've used the older style Pilot Alpin snows, and have found them to be quite good, quiet, relatively long-lasting, and decent handling (for a snow), and would expect them to be quite good on this car. If you live in an area with heavy potential snowfall, or an area where they are required, you might want to check them out. All-season tires are just too much of a compromise in real winter conditions, especially with a rear-wheel drive car.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Are you using alloys or steel rims for your winter tires?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

I go back and forth. I'm not sure you can get a runflat to seal properly to a typical steel tire. The car and tires/wheels I have now are on alloys...the last car's were on steel wheels. In the winter, with the potholes, losing hubcaps is a big pain.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
bimmer man
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 745le xdrive 2020, i3 2020

Garage List
2020 745le  [0.00]
2012 640i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
If you are in the market for a snow tire for the GT with run-flat, there have not been too many choices. Michelin has just made the first production run of the PA3 in 245/50-18 runflat configuration and they are available in small quantities. I've used the older style Pilot Alpin snows, and have found them to be quite good, quiet, relatively long-lasting, and decent handling (for a snow), and would expect them to be quite good on this car. If you live in an area with heavy potential snowfall, or an area where they are required, you might want to check them out. All-season tires are just too much of a compromise in real winter conditions, especially with a rear-wheel drive car.
hey, here i norway bmw GT use nokian hakkapalita R 245/50-18 runflat on alu rims. This is the best tire for nordic winter, pictures off my bmw whit winter tyres
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #5
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

There are few diesel cars available in the USA...hopefully, BMW will expand their offerings soon (looking for some info at the Detroit International show in Jan for some good news). Question: how is the diesel GT when starting when it is extremely cold? Have you had any problems with the battery if you do short trips during the winter? With the way the battery is recharged, and the initial current required to start a diesel, wondering if maybe a trickle charger is a good idea if you do a lot of short trips to ensure it it topped off. Anyone heard what is the minimum time it needs to restore the battery? My problem is it is barely a mile to most places...three is longer. I may not make a longer trip except for maybe one or twice a week since I'm retired, and most everything is either within walking distance, or a short drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 07:29 AM   #6
bimmer man
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 745le xdrive 2020, i3 2020

Garage List
2020 745le  [0.00]
2012 640i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
There are few diesel cars available in the USA...hopefully, BMW will expand their offerings soon (looking for some info at the Detroit International show in Jan for some good news). Question: how is the diesel GT when starting when it is extremely cold? Have you had any problems with the battery if you do short trips during the winter? With the way the battery is recharged, and the initial current required to start a diesel, wondering if maybe a trickle charger is a good idea if you do a lot of short trips to ensure it it topped off. Anyone heard what is the minimum time it needs to restore the battery? My problem is it is barely a mile to most places...three is longer. I may not make a longer trip except for maybe one or twice a week since I'm retired, and most everything is either within walking distance, or a short drive.
hey, my GT are almost a yeare old now, And I have never had any problem starting engine or battery, And I use the car mostly in short distace. Here in Norway is it cold climate offen -10 to -30 celsius, and I have never heard bmw diesel have problems starting when it is extremly cold. This GT are my 5th. bmw diesel and i have never had any problems in cold climat. In Norway are the 75% diesel cars. But I know that diesle cars have stronger gennerater and bettery. Picture are my wife and me on bmw winter driving cours.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 09:33 AM   #7
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

That's good information. One would hope that all the new technology means diesel operation is close to gasoline's. If BMWUSA ever gets the 530dGT to come here, that is my preferred next vehicle. They said they would, but who knows how corporate plans change. I was hoping to do that early in 2011, but no official word yet - maybe at the Detroit autoshow (which I'm attending!). The biggest hassle with diesel vehicles here is maybe only 1/2-1/3 of the fuel stations actually have diesel. Not a big problem normally on a trip as long as it is a major highway because of the trucks, but can be a problem stuck out in the wilds. Good thing, though, is you have a lot of miles to find one unless you wait until the last moment!
Appreciate 0