E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > DCT vs 6AT (daily driving)

09-15-2010, 01:04 AM   #1
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Question DCT vs 6AT (daily driving)

I'm about to get a great deal on a 335is and wanted to know from anyone that has driven both how the DCT compares. I know it's awesome but what I'm looking for is more of the daily driving. Is it just as smooth as the automatic in normal driving? Would I even notice it's DCT if no one told me? I'm planning on test driving one soon but want to hear what others have to say.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 02:01 AM   #2
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

take the DCT. In D it's very smooth, smoother then the autobox in my wifes 320xd. 7th gear is nice as well, dropping RPM and with that noice and consumption.

Last edited by marcel b; 09-15-2010 at 02:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 02:30 AM   #3
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

I've been driving the DCT in the Z4 today, and to be 100%, I prefer the 6AT in my 335i due to the smoothness

Though you can't beat the response of the DCT, especially in S/M mode

I haven't had enough time in it to decide if it's better/worse etc though
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 03:53 AM   #4
WWONG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d

IMO, the only point of the 335is is to get the DCT on a non-M3. If you're getting the 6MT, just stick with a regular 335i and add the M-Sport pckg. Save the extra money for something else.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 04:08 AM   #5
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWONG View Post
IMO, the only point of the 335is is to get the DCT on a non-M3. If you're getting the 6MT, just stick with a regular 335i and add the M-Sport pckg. Save the extra money for something else.
And future repair costs. Although I understand, the majority lease and do not care about repairs as it's all covered under warranty/free maintentance. But When a Mitsubishi Galant costs north of 3k to overhaul an auto tranny, imagine what a DCT will cost. Meanwhile sticks routinely go 200k without any service.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 05:03 AM   #6
Argent60
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: A6 3.0t Prestige

The DCT is better in almost every way. The 6AT in my 535 was slightly jerky even in sport mode upon initial acceleration, and was slower to change gears(no matter the setting). And if you want smooth, just leave the DCT in "D".

Previous = '08 535xi Sedan
Previous = '11 335is Cabrio
Current = '12 Audi A6
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 05:04 AM   #7
samchoi604
Colonel
Rep
Drives: black on black

Yea, I do wonder how repair and maintenance goes for the DCT. More moving parts equate to more problem but you gotta pay to play.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 05:57 AM   #8
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
I spent a day swapping between a 135i with DCT and 335i with AT for autocross. The DCT does manual downshifts much better, but it does weird hesitations from launch even with DSC completely off.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 07:43 AM   #9
Thud
Throbbing Member
Rep
Drives:

DCT's are a relatively new technology.... it remains to be seen how they hold up over the long term.
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 07:58 AM   #10
Mike D.
Private
Rep
Drives: '10 Boxster

I've driven both extensively. The conventional auto is *slightly* smoother from a stop, but the DCT is slightly smoother downshifting in gears 2+. For performance, the DCT wins, and for smoothness, it's a draw.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 08:44 AM   #11
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud View Post
DCT's are a relatively new technology.... it remains to be seen how they hold up over the long term.
+1

And a stickshift with 200k on it should have had service, ie fluids done 3-4 times
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 07:29 PM   #12
Tag
this is the way
Rep

I test drove a 135i with DCT today and I don't know what some were talking about with it hesitating off the line. I didn't see any of that. It pretty much drove just like my Steptronic trans. I tested it from a standstill in Drive, Sport and Manual mode. Sport and Manual were both faster to accelerate off the line of course but I didn't feel any hesitation to start moving in any of the three modes. They all pretty much move as soon as you remove your foot from the brake.

The DCT was very smooth. Still at awe how quickly it shifts gears and how smooth it felt. Just one word to describe it, AMAZING!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 07:31 PM   #13
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag824 View Post
I test drove a 135i with DCT today and I don't know what some were talking about with it hesitating off the line. I didn't see any of that. It pretty much drove just like my Steptronic trans. I tested it from a standstill in Drive, Sport and Manual mode. Sport and Manual were both faster to accelerate off the line of course but I didn't feel any hesitation to start moving in any of the three modes. They all pretty much move as soon as you remove your foot from the brake.

The DCT was very smooth. Still at awe how quickly it shifts gears and how smooth it felt. Just one word to describe it, AMAZING!
Who told you so?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 07:33 PM   #14
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Damn you BTM
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 11:55 PM   #15
Inspiron
Rep
Drives: Just a coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
The DCT does manual downshifts much better, but it does weird hesitations from launch even with DSC completely off.
True that!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 03:21 PM   #16
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

DCT is $5400 I believe

that's what my dealer told me
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 04:56 PM   #17
SStinman
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

The Auto will be smoother from dead starts and in stop and go type traffic. You can't beat a torque converter to smooth out the powertrain. For pure performance the DCT wins, as it will actual engage both gears (the current gear and the next) during an shift. For a moment both gears are engaged thus power flow to the wheels all the time then the last gear is released. While an auto and manuals interrupts power for a moment to engage the next gear.

For me I would get the DCT. But the test that I like to do is where I pull the handle brake with the car in gear and release the brake pedal. Since a DCT is like a manual trans the system is getting a little confused by the situation. The foot brake is released so it thinks it should go but it doesn't move so image trying to keep a manual transmission from stalling at this point. The BMW software guys have to be top notch to get it right. I'm sure they are but this is the final exam test on if they did it right.

Also, VW is using most likely a similar Getrag DCT for the last few years. Yes I know the VW is a transverse design. But knowing automakers propensity to keep as many powertrain part a common as possible I beat it shares the same clutch system and the valve mechanisms/actuators. Biggest complaint over at VW is an over heat limp home mode that occurs when conditions are right. Also, heat is the biggest problem with DCT clutch system. The clutch will take the brunt of the raw power from the engine. That is why DCT showed up on lower powered cars first.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 05:18 PM   #18
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStinman View Post
The Auto will be smoother from dead starts and in stop and go type traffic. You can't beat a torque converter to smooth out the powertrain. For pure performance the DCT wins, as it will actual engage both gears (the current gear and the next) during an shift. For a moment both gears are engaged thus power flow to the wheels all the time then the last gear is released. While an auto and manuals interrupts power for a moment to engage the next gear.

For me I would get the DCT. But the test that I like to do is where I pull the handle brake with the car in gear and release the brake pedal. Since a DCT is like a manual trans the system is getting a little confused by the situation. The foot brake is released so it thinks it should go but it doesn't move so image trying to keep a manual transmission from stalling at this point. The BMW software guys have to be top notch to get it right. I'm sure they are but this is the final exam test on if they did it right.

Also, VW is using most likely a similar Getrag DCT for the last few years. Yes I know the VW is a transverse design. But knowing automakers propensity to keep as many powertrain part a common as possible I beat it shares the same clutch system and the valve mechanisms/actuators. Biggest complaint over at VW is an over heat limp home mode that occurs when conditions are right. Also, heat is the biggest problem with DCT clutch system. The clutch will take the brunt of the raw power from the engine. That is why DCT showed up on lower powered cars first.
The shift time of both the DCT and the Steptronic are so fast that the differences are probably academic, I drove a DCT and a Steptronic on very similar cars over the same roads a few weeks ago. I concluded that they are both excellent transmissions and that the DCT is very good in fully automatic mode and is probably as good at being an automatic as the steptronic is.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 05:35 PM   #19
seth405
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Quote:
Is it just as smooth as the automatic in normal driving?
Smoother.

In D it's pretty smooth, almost Steptronic slushbox'y. When you move it over to S+/- it engages a lot more precisely and shifts are noticeably quicker.

Quote:
Would I even notice it's DCT if no one told me?
Yes, especially if you move it over to S+/- with the Sport Button. Also, with that combo (S +/- with the Sport Button), the car puts a giant SE grin on my face thanks to the Over boost .

I thought the Steptronic in my last 335 was great, definitely better than the one in my 330ci, but the DCT is just incredible IMO, especially 7th gear on the highway and it costing "Free-dollars" thanks to the transmission credit. Not sure if they're still running it for Sept / Oct. though.

Two thing I've had to get used, even when in reverse it rolls freely, whereas a traditional auto with a torque converter has that natural propensity to pull the car. The other is the odd feeling of pulling away from a stop light and feeling the clutch slip and engage.

The chrome on the base plate and shifter sure looks great, but on a recent drive from Orlando I was freakin' blinded by the reflection / glare from the thing. I finally threw a towel on top of it; going to have to see about getting it anodized black or something (see pic).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 05:42 PM   #20
Tag
this is the way
Rep

The Sport button was one thing I didn't quite understand. When it was on there was no indicator on the instrument cluster. What's the difference between pressing the Sport button and throwing the shifter to the left into Sport mode?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 05:47 PM   #21
ruxp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

I haven't driven an 'is DCT, but I recently drove a VW w/ DSG.. I was impressed by how quick and responsive it was compared to a traditional automatic, but starting off, at low speeds, and in parking situations, it behaved like a stick shift being handled by a novice stick driver - very hesitant and jerky.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 06:01 PM   #22
SilverII
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335IS

Garage List
2011 BMW 335IS  [9.66]
my impression so far is that the DCT is very fast. It doesn't roll forward much if you don't press on the gas pedal. It likes to shifts from 1 -> 2 at low rpm. I guess to save gas.
Appreciate 0