2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs Zymol Wax

09-13-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
fireman550
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550

Zymol Wax

Hello fellas. Hope all are well. Trying to decide on whether or not I should drop $$$ for one of the Zymol waxes out on the market. They are about 60 to 150 dollars and I dont mind spending the money if they actually work. Has any one tried these and if so which of their extensive line would be the best on the dual colored Cashmere Metallic Silver for the new F10. (This is the color of my F10 and it looks darker in the day and lighter at night). Thanks in advance for your help.....

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
jeff328xi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 328i Mineral White Metalic

For Cashmier Zymol Cream would be awesome. If you car is a daily driver, you may want to use Wolfgang sealant first. Wait a couple of days prior to waxing with zymol. The combo of the two will really give your car a wet glossy look.

I saw your original post with the pictures of your car. Wow, I've been waiting to see this combo cashmier/cinnamon.

If you have an opportunity can you take picture in the sun not the shade. I thought it was titianium silver. I'm going to order in Jan 2011 to hopefully get delivery in April when my e92 lease is up.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
jeff328xi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 328i Mineral White Metalic

http://www.zymol.com/images/products...l/crmetech.jpg

I meant to include this.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 07:24 PM   #4
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
There is absolutely no reason to drop that much coin on wax, it's a total waste. No matter how expensive the wax is, it's going to slowly come off when exposed to the elements and when you wash the car. I've tried a lot of car waxes/sealants in paste and liquid even spray form. At the end of the day they all do the same thing, provide the sacrificial barrier to protect the clear coat.
I find the biggest delta with waxes to be ease of application. Some are tricky to do by hand and will streak dark colors, others are idiot proof. Cashmere Silver is about the easiest color to maintain.
I just used this German wax. It's a sealant but has carnuba mixed in to give the gloss. It's a WOWO product (wipe on wipe off), so you don't have to wait for it to dry and it doesn't dust. It's not expensive either. $18.
Glanz Wax
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 07:53 PM   #5
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

I would not pay that much for wax. Some people will argue forever that it's the best stuff, worth it, etc. I agree with gatoman 39 above, any wax will do.
I use Zaino polish, it does not leave any residue of any kind and it's super easy to apply and reasonably priced - a bottle of Z2 will last you several years www.zainobros.com
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 08:19 PM   #6
savela
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

Klasse followed by Pinnacle - that's my routine. Carnuba is key only for short term brilliance. Ease of application is key.....agree. Honestly, regular washing by hand (when possible) is the real key to long lastings shine. Sun and road grime are the enemies.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 08:53 PM   #7
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by savela View Post
Klasse followed by Pinnacle - that's my routine. Carnuba is key only for short term brilliance. Ease of application is key.....agree. Honestly, regular washing by hand (when possible) is the real key to long lastings shine. Sun and road grime are the enemies.
Hand wash is a must. I don't even let the dealer wash the car. Honestly I try and wash the car as little as possible. In SoCal it's pretty easy as it can go 4-6 months without raining here during the summer. Also, I find that the greatest product is a quick detailer, I use Meguair's simply because you can buy it buy the gallon. A car duster, microfiber towel and quick detailer, I went 4 months without washing my daily driver last year.

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 01:03 AM   #8
kd6lor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335 Coupe

Senor Gato, where in So Cal is a good place to find the Meguires quick detailer by the gallon?

Pablito
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 03:04 AM   #9
smanoj77
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw m240i

I also agree, you don't need a costly product to get a descent finish on your car. This you tube site gives you an idea about washing and waxing your car and about the beading effect of wax. This chap uses swissvax himself, which seems to give a superior finish, but is costly.
http://www.youtube.com/user/3MCarCare
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 04:13 AM   #10
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

@ Gatoman

How are you WOW'ing your car without washing it off first? I wash my car with MeGuires car wash almost every weekend, otherwise bugs and dirt just get too heavy. Almost every 2-3 weekend I use Meguires spray on wipe off. I have yet to wax it, I was told the factory baked wax should be left alone for at least 6 months to a year.

One thing I hate, is cleaning the 550i with sport package rims, I think BMW attempted to drive me crazy, I feel like a possessed dermatologist.

Also, what product is effective for spot removing persistent bugs remains without damaging finish?
      09-14-2010, 06:24 AM   #11
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Zymol is one of the great marketing success stories of the twentieth century. They have positioned themselves as a premium product and demand a premium price. I applaud them for that.

However... heh, heh, you knew that was coming, right? The stuff is just wax. It's difficult to use, ridiculous in price and lasts no longer and looks no better and protects no better than any other quality wax.

I use Meguires wax because it is fairly priced and seems to work well. I also use Griot's Garage quick detailer product, which you can (and I do) buy by the gallon. Mail order unless you're in Washington where I think they have a retail shop.

I also belong to the camp of frequent washing to keep the car clean and protect the finish. The downside to that is that you must be careful otherwise all of that washing and drying will leave micro scratches in the paint. Very visible in my (current) black car. I also use Griot's spray-on wax when I dry the car, which works great to bring out the shine in between real wax jobs.

Old school rules say that you should not wax a new car until the paint has had a chance to cure - say 3 months. I'm not sure how true this is any more with the water-based paint that BMW uses, baking it in the oven after painting, clear coat, etc.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 08:45 AM   #12
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd6lor View Post
Senor Gato, where in So Cal is a good place to find the Meguires quick detailer by the gallon?

Pablito
Detailing.com
2 McLaren
Suite H
Irvine, CA 92618
Quote:
Originally Posted by delvek View Post
@ Gatoman

How are you WOW'ing your car without washing it off first? I wash my car with MeGuires car wash almost every weekend, otherwise bugs and dirt just get too heavy. Almost every 2-3 weekend I use Meguires spray on wipe off. I have yet to wax it, I was told the factory baked wax should be left alone for at least 6 months to a year.
A quick detailer suspends dirt into the liquid so that you can wipe it off without washing it first. It can be used on the rims as well. To spot remove bugs you need something like Stoners Tarminator or equivalent. But a bug sponge and car wash is probably the best start. Also, factory paint is already cured. You don't need to wait to wax it. You only need to wait to wax paint that has been sprayed at a body shop. 30-90 days allows for the pint to cure properly, but that doesn't apply to factory paint.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 12:12 AM   #13
kd6lor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoman39 View Post
Detailing.com
2 McLaren
Suite H
Irvine, CA 92618
Order placed today. Boss is going to pick it up tomorrow while at work. I read that this quick detailer can be diluted 50%. Do you cut your's, or use it full strength?

Paul
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 01:08 AM   #14
fireman550
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for all the advice. It seems to be a two way thing with people that have used the Zymol wax and others that say its the same. I will be buying both the Einszett Glanz wax that gator recommended and I will also get a Zymol wax and see what the differences are and post my findings when I use them. I will be completely objectionable and If one is better I will post it regardless of price. I also got a really well recommended acrylic spray sealant to use between waxes after washing the car. It is from a company called Chemical guys and it is supposed to really help with the continuous protection of the cars paint. Again thanks for all the comments and lets see once and for all if Zymol is worth the price.....
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 01:40 AM   #15
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

@ Gatoman,

When you spray on the Meguires WOWO how heavy of a spray to you put down. After I wash the car, I dry it with a leather shammy then spray on Meguires Quick Wax but its more of a few pump across the hood then I use a Microfiber mit and wipe it in flip the mit to the dry side and finish buffing it off.

I havent waxed the car yet and I am really hesitant to, is there a certain wax type that is better for an all black car?

Anyone know a good spray on wash off wheel cleaner, the 550i wheels are really a pain to get clean especially beyond the spoke.
      09-15-2010, 07:38 AM   #16
d-rive
the iREAL STIG
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0d 2007 & 530d 2011

@delvek.
For wheels:
Meguiars Hot Ritms All Wheel Cleaner or a very good german product, Einszett Wheel Cleaner.

Before wax your car do not forget to make all operations.
First, wash your car.
Then, clay-bar with a clay lubricant.
After that you must clean and prepare the paint (the clear coat) with a good paint cleaner.
Now its time for a sealant wich provides protection and just after all of this you can wax your car.

Best wax for our BMW's are from Swisswax.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 09:28 AM   #17
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd6lor View Post
Order placed today. Boss is going to pick it up tomorrow while at work. I read that this quick detailer can be diluted 50%. Do you cut your's, or use it full strength?
I use it full strength. I know some people do dilute it, but that's not what the manufacturer recommends, plus it's not expensive, so why use it in a manner that the maker doesn't recommend?

Quote:
@ Gatoman,
When you spray on the Meguires WOWO how heavy of a spray to you put down. After I wash the car, I dry it with a leather shammy then spray on Meguires Quick Wax but its more of a few pump across the hood then I use a Microfiber mit and wipe it in flip the mit to the dry side and finish buffing it off.
I havent waxed the car yet and I am really hesitant to, is there a certain wax type that is better for an all black car?
Anyone know a good spray on wash off wheel cleaner, the 550i wheels are really a pain to get clean especially beyond the spoke.
-If you're asking how heavy of a quick detailer I put down, it depends how dirty the car is. You shouldn't be using much if any pressure, if you find the towel catching or grabbing, then you're not using enough.
-Carnuba's tend to outshine sealants, this is mostly visible on darker colors, but they don't last as long as sealants, so it's kind of a push. I have a metallic gray car that I use Meguiars gold class carnuba wax, wipe it off then apply a second coat of Glanz wax or NXT wax 2.0 over it.
-Lastly, there is no spray on hose off wheel cleaner that will do the work for you. You have to get the right brushes plus use the chemicals. You don't want to use stronger chemicals in lieu of brush agitation.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #18
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

Thanks for both of your posts ... I always used to let BMW clean my car through their machine but with this one I decided to care for it personally so I am learning. The tough part is its against the law to use any chemicals that contact the ground in Germany. Currently I do my car washing, etc in the early a.m. hours which minimizes nosy neighbors.
      09-15-2010, 01:30 PM   #19
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for both of your posts ... I always used to let BMW clean my car through their machine but with this one I decided to care for it personally so I am learning. The tough part is its against the law to use any chemicals that contact the ground in Germany. Currently I do my car washing, etc in the early a.m. hours which minimizes nosy neighbors.
I've taken some detailing classes at Meguiars HQ and the question of brake dust on German cars came up in discussion. The moderator hypothesized that it had to do with some German environmental laws regarding brake pad materials. Either way, when it rains the brake dust is going to go on the ground anyway, so I don't see the point of any laws.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 01:51 PM   #20
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

@ Gato,

You wont find any argument here, there is much more logic to combat the need for Germans to embrace their Teutonic nature ... fact is, after the Polezei finish writing you a ticket it just doesn't seem worth it. With that said, my neighbors are pretty cool and no one has complained yet. If they were I am not sure what I will do since the thought of running it through their washing machines makes me and my 550 cry.

They would say your not getting ticketed for the brake dust seeping into the ground but instead the chemicals you are vainly putting on your car.

Maybe the Polizei will be sympathetic to my plight considering the Beautiful Bavarian Beast in my drive.
      09-15-2010, 01:58 PM   #21
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
@ Gato,

You wont find any argument here, there is much more logic to combat the need for Germans to embrace their Teutonic nature ... fact is, after the Polezei finish writing you a ticket it just doesn't seem worth it. With that said, my neighbors are pretty cool and no one has complained yet. If they were I am not sure what I will do since the thought of running it through their washing machines makes me and my 550 cry.

They would say your not getting ticketed for the brake dust seeping into the ground but instead the chemicals you are vainly putting on your car.

Maybe the Polizei will be sympathetic to my plight considering the Beautiful Bavarian Beast in my drive.
One thing I forgot to mention is the towels you use to wipe the car down. I use microfiber towels, but I have segmented them into 3 categories and wash them separately using detergent specifically made for microfiber towels.
1. Paint
2. Interior
3. Wheels/Rockerpanels.

I do this so there is no cross contamination. You don't want the towels that touch brake dust to be the ones that end up touching your hood. However, you may not be as anal as me. Also, I use cotton towels for the glass and mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 11:34 PM   #22
fireman550
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoman39 View Post
There is absolutely no reason to drop that much coin on wax, it's a total waste. No matter how expensive the wax is, it's going to slowly come off when exposed to the elements and when you wash the car. I've tried a lot of car waxes/sealants in paste and liquid even spray form. At the end of the day they all do the same thing, provide the sacrificial barrier to protect the clear coat.
I find the biggest delta with waxes to be ease of application. Some are tricky to do by hand and will streak dark colors, others are idiot proof. Cashmere Silver is about the easiest color to maintain.
I just used this German wax. It's a sealant but has carnuba mixed in to give the gloss. It's a WOWO product (wipe on wipe off), so you don't have to wait for it to dry and it doesn't dust. It's not expensive either. $18.
Glanz Wax
Just used this in conjunction with the acrylic sealant spray from the chemical brothers and my car looks ridiculously nice. I literally had people stopping me to ask if I just got it out of the dealer. Some people were touching it so see if it was still wet. Great recomendation. Thanks Gatoman. I think the acrylic sealant helped with the extra luster. Recommend both to all on the forum....

This is the web site I found the wax and the acrylic sealant..
http://www.detailedimage.com/Chemica...P183/16-oz-S1/
Appreciate 0