E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335is stick shift

09-13-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

335is stick shift

So those who own a 335is stick, is it a nice engagement and clutch to live with on a daily basis?

I am coming from a porsche that had a bulky, noisy standard transmisson and the clutch was really stiff...

just wanted to see what the community thinks about the 6 speed set up. since i bet the dct is butter!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

you will get bored with DCT very soon, but coming from a purist, this is the type of answer you should expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3355 View Post
So those who own a 335is stick, is it a nice engagement and clutch to live with on a daily basis?

I am coming from a porsche that had a bulky, noisy standard transmisson and the clutch was really stiff...

just wanted to see what the community thinks about the 6 speed set up. since i bet the dct is butter!
      09-13-2010, 06:03 PM   #3
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by achien View Post
you will get bored with DCT very soon, but coming from a purist, this is the type of answer you should expect.
I wonder how you are so able to infer someone's future opinion you've never met before on a subjective topic

OP - find one to test drive. FWIW the 6speed manual is the same as in the regular 335. I drove both before going with an auto, the only problem I had with the 6sp was the notchy 1-2 shift but other than that it was a blast to drive. For what I use my car for, however, I am happy with auto. What I mean is I didn't not buy a manual because I didn't like the transmission, it was because for my DD I didn't really feel like having a manual anymore.

Last edited by BTM; 09-13-2010 at 06:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Brian,

The notchiness that you talk about is due to the clutch delay valve. Remove that and then add a clutch pedal bump stop to eliminate the extra pedal travel. You'll end up with butter smooth shifts every time.

For as long as I have both of my legs and my knees are working fine, I will NEVER drive a DCT/AUTO/SMG/Flappy Paddle gearbox.
      09-13-2010, 06:14 PM   #5
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
Brian,

The notchiness that you talk about is due to the clutch delay valve. Remove that and then add a clutch pedal bump stop to eliminate the extra pedal travel. You'll end up with butter smooth shifts every time.

For as long as I have both of my legs and my knees are working fine, I will NEVER drive a DCT/AUTO/SMG/Flappy Paddle gearbox.
Yea I researched all that and everything and even with the CDV in the "problem" wasn't enough to put me off - just didn't feel like shifting. Again it's all subjective but have you ever driven DCT? Don't hate on it unless you've experienced it, you never know you may end up loving it and testing out all the options available when buying something as significant as a car is always the advisable thing to do.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 08:13 PM   #6
R608
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i M-Sport (RWD/6MT)

Quote:
Brian,

Thought the clutch delay valve only affected things when engaging the clutch. How would that remove notchiness in the shifting?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 08:14 PM   #7
DefBringer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe

If you're coming from a Porsche clutch, you will find the 335is clutch action very smooth and easy for stop-and-go traffic.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 09:05 PM   #8
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

i had considered the 335i auto before buying the stick, even though in my mind i wanted the stick.

I went to five dealerships across southern california to test drive the 335i all auto before my purchase. Why did I went to 5 dealerships? because many of them won't let you drive it again and again.

Anyhow, the regular auto in the 335i i found was a bit sluggish in throttle response. once I test drove a used 335i 6mt on the lot, I was sold. Immediately, I ordered the car in stick.

the clutch in the 335i is one of the smoothest as well as soft-linear pedal feel ever. Compared to my girlfriend's 350z, it is a lot better in traffic. The 350z stock clutch was brutal in stop and go !! yet, it's engagement and grip was not significantly better than the 335i.

however, if you're in downtown LA, any stick car will be hell as it gets tedious. But because i commute to irvine everyday, where the speed limit is 50-55mph on surface streets, there's not a corner where I don't punch that sucker to 60mph.

the only con of the 335i 6mt is in extremely fast speed shifts, you will feel the clutch delay valve hindering the engagement. Also, I upgraded to the BMW performance short shifter, much better, as the stock throw was a bit long for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 06:04 AM   #9
rickwjenn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3355 View Post

I have a 911 Turbo and a new 335i coupe - both in 6 speed manual:

The BMW shifter is smoother and requires less force.

Clutch effort on the Porsche is higher, but still very light IMO.

Both clutches have this amazing 1 inch or so engagement travel range that, once you know where it is, you can shift flawlessly.

Both transmissions feel equally precise in gear shifting up or down.

Now one BIG difference non-transmission - goto WOT and the Porsche is in another world of acceleration.

Last edited by rickwjenn; 09-14-2010 at 07:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 12:51 PM   #10
achien
AC
Canada
Rep

nobody in this forum will be answer to OP's question if all of us need to know him in person (except for the ones that actually know him).

my advise is based on all the debates I have seem on this forum on the topic of "stick vs. auto".

this is an extremely touchy subject and I understand my opinion will offend a lot of people in this forum.

btw, test driving is not the same as driving something day-to-day, I have seen a lot of people regretting they got the AT instead of the MT because they had a "great" test drive on the AT. On the contrarily, I have yet to see a person on this forum regretting getting the MT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
I wonder how you are so able to infer someone's future opinion you've never met before on a subjective topic

OP - find one to test drive. FWIW the 6speed manual is the same as in the regular 335. I drove both before going with an auto, the only problem I had with the 6sp was the notchy 1-2 shift but other than that it was a blast to drive. For what I use my car for, however, I am happy with auto. What I mean is I didn't not buy a manual because I didn't like the transmission, it was because for my DD I didn't really feel like having a manual anymore.
      09-14-2010, 03:06 PM   #11
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Again it's all subjective but have you ever driven DCT? Don't hate on it unless you've experienced it, you never know you may end up loving it and testing out all the options available when buying something as significant as a car is always the advisable thing to do.
Yep! I've driven DCTs in VWs and AUDIs for extended periods of time. Initially, when I drove DTC, I was amazed how quickly it shifted. I just kept my foot down and the shifting was like shooting a semi automatic gun.

However, after this initial experience was over, I found the DTC boring and less engaging than the manual transmission. Not to mention the obvious lack of clutch control you get from the manual tranny.
      09-14-2010, 03:08 PM   #12
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Vasil - DCT is not the same as DSG...DSG is much more crude (according to most reviews with the dual clutch transmissions)
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 03:13 PM   #13
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by achien View Post
nobody in this forum will be answer to OP's question if all of us need to know him in person (except for the ones that actually know him).

my advise is based on all the debates I have seem on this forum on the topic of "stick vs. auto".

this is an extremely touchy subject and I understand my opinion will offend a lot of people in this forum.

btw, test driving is not the same as driving something day-to-day, I have seen a lot of people regretting they got the AT instead of the MT because they had a "great" test drive on the AT. On the contrarily, I have yet to see a person on this forum regretting getting the MT.
I have seen it go the other way as well. And from a self proclaimed MT purist, I'd hardly expect an objective reply to such an opinionated matter. You stated that OP would get bored of DCT as if it were a fact, this is not true. There are plenty of M3/335is drivers with DCT who wouldn't dream of going back. It's all personal opinion, and yes, while a test drive is not the same as living with a car, it's a lot better than taking someone's word for it on the internet.

Here is a recent example of someone who has DCT in their is and loves it

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...&highlight=DCT
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #14
smaxon1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335is

No regrets here. I love the DCT!
      09-14-2010, 03:33 PM   #15
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaxon1 View Post
Not so fast...someone on the internet said you will get bored of it very soon so watch out for that...it's coming

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 03:40 PM   #16
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

You can't really go wrong with either and it is a matter of personal preference. The DCT is a form of an automatic tranmission. It is a suberb automatic transmission and in manual mode the driver has complete control over gear selections. Although the technology of the Steptronic is very different than the DCT the driver experience of a DCT is closer to a Steptronic than a manual transmission. In many ways the DCT is better at being an AT than a traditional AT. It does not have the jerkiness of the earlier SMG. The shifts are smooth and instantaneous.

You will have to drive them both yourself and come to your own conclusions. I happen to enjoy driving a variety of cars and whether it is a DCT, a Steperonic type automatic or an MT is not my top priority.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #17
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
The DCT is a form of an automatic tranmission. It is a suberb automatic transmission and in manual mode the driver has complete control over gear selections. Although the technology of the Steptronic is very different than the DCT the driver experience of a DCT is closer to a Steptronic than a manual transmission. In many ways the DCT is better at being an AT than a traditional AT. It does not have the jerkiness of the earlier SMG. The shifts are smooth and instant.
Correct - I only introduced steptronic into the equation as an example of someone who was predisposed for one transmission, drove both versions, and bough another transmission, based on personal experience with them.

DCT /= Steptronic. The bottom line is all three are great choices, just choose the one that works best for you. Why other people get so defensive about people who choose something else over MT is beyond me...only when someone else starts paying for my car can they insist what transmission it should have
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 03:48 PM   #18
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

Quote:
Brian,

I find that it took me a while...but even with the clutch delay valve I'm quite smooth with the 335i XDrive 6 MT...which is probably tougher than the RWD version.

Does 911 carrera have a clutch delay valve?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 03:51 PM   #19
SAM67
Cars & Guitars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E90

Regarding the OP's question about the manual tranny in the 335is, I read in Roundel that it comes stock with the short shift kit. Does anyone know if it's the same SSK that BMW sells as an aftermarket option for 6MT 3'ers (see link below)?

For those that have driven both the 335is 6MT and a regular 335i 6MT, are the 1st to 2nd shifts any smoother, or does the SSK actually compound the sometimes notchy shifts?

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ShiftKits.aspx

Thanks.
      09-14-2010, 03:53 PM   #20
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM67 View Post
Regarding the OP's question about the manual tranny in the 335is, I read in Roundel that it comes stock with the short shift kit. Does anyone know if it's the same SSK that BMW sells as an aftermarket option for 6MT 3'ers (see link below)?

For those that have driven both the 335is 6MT and a regular 335i 6MT, are the 1st to 2nd shifts any smoother, or does the SSK actually compound the sometimes notchy shifts?

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ShiftKits.aspx

Thanks.
Interesting...I must of skimmed over that in the 335is info thread...I'd like to know if it's the same kit as well (though if I had to go with my gut I'd guess yes)

FWIW I'm always seeing positive reviews of the SSK, and many in the "what's your favorite mod" thread rate it as their favorite - so it must be doing something right
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 05:00 PM   #21
achien
AC
Canada
Rep

BTM is correct, call us when you hit your 2nd anniversary with your car.

By that time, there will be three (3) likely outcomes:

1. You still love your DCT and will keep the car until the lease ends or drives it until it grinds to the ground (if you bought it).
2. You will hate you DCT and can't wait until the lease ends.
3. You will think of getting a new car (because you are bored with you DCT).

Outcome #3 will be most likely, but, anything is possible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaxon1 View Post
Quote:
Not so fast...someone on the internet said you will get bored of it very soon so watch out for that...it's coming

09-14-2010, 05:13 PM   #22
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91

I actually learned to shift gears on a 911S with the legendary 901 transmission and cable-actuated clutch!

Two "classic" SAABs followed.

Compared to those, the BMW clutch/transmission is utter perfection and an absolute delight to shift.
E91 6MT Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, tire pump, jack, floor mats.
Appreciate 0