E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW Assist and USB changes?

08-22-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
stephen3rd
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Edition MSport

BMW Assist and USB changes?

Folks,

Not posted for a while but sure somebody will be able to help out with this one.

I am in the process of changing my current 320d M Sport Edition i bought in April 2008.

The new car is a 320d Sport Plus with Media Pack Pro, Visibility Pack, USB and heated seats.

The question is will the BMW Assist enhancements for Blackberry integration called "Mobile Office" and the changes to the USB interface which allows album art called "ipod out" on ipod v4 be available in the UK from September? I know mobile office will require Blackberry OS v6 which isnt a problm as my 9700 will take the new OS.

Some details of the new features are on the PDF i have attached, but the document was targeted at North American dealers.

I have asked two dealers who didnt have a clue what i was talking about and BMW Customer services said to ask a dealer as they are customer facing!

My reply to customer services was to ask for a contact at BMW HQ who knows about the technology in the cars and when new enhancements would be introduced to models.

I really dont fancy placing an order for my new car now for the new features to be introduced within weeks of my car being built.

Interested to know if anybody on here that works with BMW has any info or if it is something that other members have been told about.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: pdf September Changes.pdf (469.2 KB, 173 views)
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

Shame Anneka is not around.

I got an answer re the above on new X5 back from one of the guys at Sytners Chigwell in a day.

Personally i didn't think the change was worth waiting for. But then i'm not a BB user.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
catdog1121
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Hyundai coupe

Also is the speaker upgrade 676 to buisness speakers as standard going to happen in uk as well?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 03:44 AM   #4
stephen3rd
Private
Rep

misterS3, i have dropped Anneka a PM. I will update the thread with the answer.

The speaker upgrade would be nice too!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 08:30 AM   #5
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

I have just checked with BMW Park Lane regarding my new Z4 and whether it has the latest spec changes. I specced Media pack and connectivity packs. My car will be built as late as possible to meet a 1 Dec delivery and they believe it will be an Oct/Nov build. I have the factory spec sheet which includes:

6AA BMW TeleServices
6AB Control BMW TeleServ
6FL USB Audio Interface
6NF Telephone USB audio
6VC Combox controller
609 Navigation system -
612 BMW Assist
615 Extended BMW online

6VC is the indicated that the car is compatible with the mobile office - I think. The pdf wouldn't open for me.

There is no indication that my car has an upgraded speaker system - 676 is not in the list.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 08:47 AM   #6
stephen3rd
Private
Rep

Peterg1965,

Thanks for that info that is useful.

Anneka came back to me earlier and she is waiting for confirmation of info before coming back to me. She did mention however that the Combox controller is what runs the mobile office features (which should have the blackberry integration)

She hadnt heard of option code 639 BMW Assist with enhanced bluetooth but this may be referred to as 6VC as you say above.

Keep you posted of any info that comes through.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 10:16 AM   #7
stephen3rd
Private
Rep

Got some solid information from both BMW Customer Services and Anneka @ Sytner.

Here is the info from Customer Services:

Thank you for your further correspondence.

I can advise that as off September 2010 when a new vehicle is equipped with Bluetooth telephone preparation with telematics (option 633) and a navigation system (either option 606 or 609) it will be fitted with a new platform called ComBox.

ComBox consists of the following options.

In-car office - The iDrive menu 'Contacts' is replaced with 'Office'. The Office area displays calendar items, tasks and notes transferred from compatible bluetooth phones.
Contact card image transfer - Images held in contact details are displayed on the Control Display. When calling a contact from the address book, his or her image appears on the Control Display.
Text-to-speech - Playback of text via the vehicle speakers for the new office features.
Call log update - The call log list (missed and received calls) will be updated in the car on connection of the phone.
Bluetooth audio streaming - Wireless audio streaming from a phone or audio player over the bluetooth connection. This includes the capability to play/pause/stop/skip/fast forward/rewind the music. Artist and track information is visible on the Control Display. Multiple bluetooth devices can be used simultaneously (eg. the audio player of one device and the telephone function of another device can be used at the same time).
Software update for mobile phone - From a BMW website, a customer will be able to download an update driver to enable compatibility for a specific mobile phone or audio player. To use this feature a vehicle must also be equipped with USB audio interface (option 6FL). Software updates will not be available until a later date (please see the information below on a new compatibility website).
Connection via original Apple iPod USB cable - For the fifth generation iPod onwards and the third generation iPod nano onwards, you can connect the iPod with the original Apple cable.
Album art display* - Album covers are displayed in the Control Display with music playback via the USB audio interface (option 6FL). The following devices are supported: MP3 players; USB memory sticks; MTP players (Media Transfer Protocol) and iPods. Note: This function is only supported on compatible iPods connected with the original Apple cable.
Voice control of external devices - For vehicles equipped with Voice Control (option 620) and the USB audio interface (option 6FL), it is possible to control an external device by voice control with the selection of 'Genre, Artist, Album or Title'.
I trust this information is of use to you. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further queries.

And the info from Anneka:

The most information I have to give you is that combox functionaility will change with each phone.
To get Combox in the car, building needs to begin in production week 35 which is the last week of August into the 1st week of September.

Below are the option combinations that are required for Combox on the different models.

3 Series E90,E91 with options - 606 or 609 with 633 and/or 6FL from week 35 2010
3 Series E92,E93 with options - 606 or 609 with 6FL from week 35 2010
3 Series E92,E93 with options - 606 or 609 with 633 from week 9 2010

The full list of Combox features are listed below, not all may work with your particular phone...

In-car office.
Contact card image transfer.
Text-to-speech.
Call log update.
Bluetooth audio streaming.
Software update for mobile phone.
Connection via original Apple iPod USB cable.
Album art display.
Voice control of external devices.

Unfortunately I can't tell you yet whether your Blackberry will be fully compatible allowing all of the Combox features to work, when the phone has been tested with the car and BMW are happy to promise what will/will not work, they will publish it here. This information hasn't yet been published but should be at the end of September.

All information above is subject to change!

So frustrating dealing with my local dealers so it is a breath of fresh air to find knowledgable BMW staff.

Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 03:31 AM   #8
Lightsab3r
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 420D

I had the same questions for Anneka when speccing my new E90 ED and I think it's good that Anneka is not promising something when she hasn't been given the definitive yes. However, I can state that the stuff you've posted directly above is what I've been told and read in press releases.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 11:02 AM   #9
leetennis
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 M Sport

This looks great I started a post about this not long ago but not much info came up.

Im worried my new car wont have this, I expect delivery in oct so my car is almost built or being built in week 35, can anyone tell me is these changes aply to all sept plate 2010 (**60) builds?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 04:16 PM   #10
Lightsab3r
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 420D

Quote:
Originally Posted by leetennis View Post
This looks great I started a post about this not long ago but not much info came up.

Im worried my new car wont have this, I expect delivery in oct so my car is almost built or being built in week 35, can anyone tell me is these changes aply to all sept plate 2010 (**60) builds?
I honestly can't say for sure, fingers crossed you will. I was told by my dealer that the car has to start production from week 35 to get the combox etc. If they haven't started making it yet then you might be in luck as factory is in shutdown now and nothing will gear up again until week 35.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 11:43 AM   #11
stephen3rd
Private
Rep

Found some more complete info on the tech options changes to Assist that is coming up.

This is the kind of kit and services that keeps me with BMW.

Hope folk find this stuff as interesting as i do!

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: doc BMW-ConnectedDrive_Comfort_EN.doc (164.0 KB, 258 views)
File Type: doc BMW-ConnectedDrive_Infotainment_EN.doc (154.0 KB, 289 views)
Appreciate 0