BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

BPM

08-06-2010, 12:16 AM   #1
Kartelli
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15 AW M3 DCT

Stripped Screw

So I pulled a rookie mistake on the plastic engine cover (one with the m3 v8 logo with 2 shiny screws). Put abit too much weight into undoing the screws and one of them snapped the top part of the thread the head still attached to the bolt.

Will a drill bit extractor work in this case, or is the bottom end of those screws attached to something underneath the cover? How does the darn thing pop off in general, I'm sure there was more than just those 2 screw holding it in place.

Looking to do a spark plug change, was deciding if the rear 4 had enough clearance to do it myself instead of taking it in for servicing (the car is imported, does not have maintenance program over the boarder).

Looks like an easy fix, just looking for some additional thoughts before I tackle it tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 09:32 AM   #2
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

The screws on top of the manifold are not what keeps it in place. The screws are not meant to be removed!
I am not sure if there is a DIY on this site, but you may want to search. You have to remove all the hoses that are connected to it - pay attention to where they came from. Underneath the manifold there are connections at each throttle body entrance (some are a little tougher to get to than others. you need to release all eight of those first and with all the hoses detached the plenum will pop off - with a little effort.
Sorry I cant be more help this second - but not at my computer and dont want to see you do more damage.

GL!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Don't understand exactly what you did, but yes, those screws are only to hold the 2 parts of the plenum together when they're bonded. You can just glue the chrome nut to the plenum, if you want. We need a pic to see what you did.

Search for a DIY on how to remove the plenum. You have to remove the airbox (easy), both engine covers (right easy; left harder, since you need to move aside power steering fluid reservoir), then remove right valve vent. I'd loosen up the throttle-body hoses with a socket and extension, rather than with a screwdriver; that's even more important when tightening them back up. Good luck. Below is a pic with it removed,a nd further down my engine without those ugly stock covers :

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
Kartelli
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15 AW M3 DCT

Those pics are PERFECT!

I broke one of the studs that the chrome plated screws fasten to on the top of the intake plenum. To glue it back on is the quickest/fastest method just so it doesnt look retarded haha. I'm wondering if I can replace the whole stud...

For the spark plug change, with the plenum off, seems like a reasonably easy job since there is alot of clearance to get at the rear plugs.

I bought the car 2 weeks ago and looking to do a fresh change of all the fluids & plugs (car has 50k kms).
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 03:23 PM   #5
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartelli View Post
I bought the car 2 weeks ago and looking to do a fresh change of all the fluids & plugs (car has 50k kms).
That's always a smart idea, especially with 30K+ miles. From that point on, you know everything was fresh.

No, you can't replace the stud, so just glue the screw head.

Spark plugs shouldn't be a problem with the exception of maybe having to remove the left valve vent too for the last plug, but there're just 2 bolts more. You're going to have to be patient with the removal of the plenum; it takes a lot of fumbling with the stupid engine cross bar in there .
Appreciate 0