E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Z2 or Z5 on a Montego Blue e92?

12-30-2006, 01:28 AM   #1
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Z2 or Z5 on a Montego Blue e92?

Like the title says, do you think Z2 or Z5 would look better on a Montego Blue e92? Perhaps a combination of the two and if so in what order? This is coming from a Zaino noob. Thanks in advance. (I tried to search but both Z2 and Z5 are too short to be included as search terms so that made it kind of hard )

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2006, 08:40 AM   #2
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Z5pro, in my opinion. Z5 pro looks better on darker colors, Z2 pro on lighter colors. You could definitely put a coat of each on and see which you prefer, the difference is negligible, but the Z5pro has a but more depth imo.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2006, 10:34 AM   #3
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
When Z5Pro came out I already had the Z2Pro in my inventory. I did exactly what Kevin mentioned and split my hood in two and applied both to see what I liked better on my Orient Blue (very dark). I maintained both for about a month and over time decided on the Z5Pro look a little better and next full exterior detail went with that on the entire car. I wanted to see it a little longer term thus the month wait period.

It's fun to do this with any new product your trying to assess because you know your history and likes/dislikes of your current favorite. What's funny is I tend to forget sometimes which side is which so I now make a note now every time I play this little game.

As you mentioned you can also mix Z products for different advantages as well although I haven't tried Z5Pro OVER Z2Pro.
      12-31-2006, 09:27 PM   #4
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

I've been using zanio on my mystic blue 330xi for over a year now. When I originally got the zanio kit, Z5pro did not exist yet, so I used some regular z5 for the first 2 coats, then topped it with a coat of z2pro and then a couple more coats of z2pro over the next couple of weeks. Looked good.

When z5pro came out I got a bottle. Put a couple of coats on top of what was already there (this was after about 3 months). I noticed the z5pro made the paint look alittle darker and actually deeper and wetter in color. Really liked it.

My plan for the next full detail is to put 2 coats of z5pro and then top it with a coat of z2pro.. I think that's about the best combination for darker colors.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2006, 10:01 PM   #5
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by espo

My plan for the next full detail is to put 2 coats of z5pro and then top it with a coat of z2pro.. I think that's about the best combination for darker colors.
Sounds like a good plan espo. Let us know how you like the Z2Pro topper over the Z5Pro.
      01-02-2007, 09:06 AM   #6
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Montego is a brighter blue, not really a dark blue. Because of that I would use Z2Pro. I use Z2 on my bight blue car and it looks wicked.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2007, 10:13 AM   #7
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

I ended up using Z5 and finally got to see the car in proper light this morning. It made the car look darker and it added some depth and shine to the paint. I'm not sure if I like it or not. I loved how bright Montego was and it doesn't have that brightness anymore, but now it looks very slick and wet. I think I'll clay the car and try Z2 in a month or so and see how I like the difference. I'll post some pics in the photo and video forum later today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0