BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-21-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
felixdahousecat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

What would you do??

Well, it seems I have come to a bit of a conundrum...

I have owned a 128i for 2 years now, and have loved every minute of it. However, I have been given the option to buy out (at a amazing price) a 2009 M3....I have driven this car many times (my dad owns one) and I love it. I do however have some distinctive issues with it. The city I live in is dense, which means 99% of my driving is in the city....leading to very much-so sup-par mileage. Insurance here is not cheap (especially for M3's)...and all and all, I love the small car feel of my one. So option number two would be to hold off and buy the new 1M when it comes out next year...But then again, I can't live with myself knowing I passed up a opportunity to own a M3...

What would you choose? It would be interesting to hear....
Premium
Cold Weather
Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

No brainer....N/A vs M1 which is nothing more than a 135 with some mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

I understand your quandry completely. I am facing a very similar dilemma.

I have always wanted an M3 and will be in a position to get a used one next year.

However as the M3 is now bigger, the 1M looks like the perfect replacement, much more in line with the E46.

So I personally would wait for 1M which is why I will probably stick my deposit down shortly.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
Smokey
Lucky Lefty
Rep
Drives: on twisty roads

Garage List
2019 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2017 Porsche Macan GTS  [8.00]
2011 M3  [10.00]
2013 bmw F25 msport  [10.00]
2011 335iS  [9.60]
Ah, what a good problem to have.... I would say go for the M3, which has proven to be a seasoned performer compared to the unproven 1M. Also, you can always sell the M3, especially since you're getting it at a great price, if the 1M proves to be everything you've always wanted in a small performance car. But you mentioned some negatives about the M3--size, insurance, gas mileage-- that makes me think it might not be a very practical car for you. If you can seriously get past those negatives-- you'll get used to the size after a while and you can shop around for insurance rates, then I say go for the M3. I too might pick up an M3 next year if the 1M doesn't deliver.

The Power of M
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 02:52 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

It all depends on you!

Could you live with 9 mpg in the citu? City driving is hard of brakes... what do front brakes cost on a M3? $700 ??? Personally I would wait too for a 1M. )
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 02:53 PM   #6
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
And every M car is just a base model ag car with some mods. What's your point?

Is it that you think you know what's under the hood of a car that we know almost nothing about?

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
SupremePower3335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 MSport & 2018 X3 30i

M3 is tempting but then again the 135 ///M Coupe might also be very nice. You can always own one b/c peoples leases are coming due soon so I would wait to see what the 135 ///M Coupe offers. I'm (in a very small way...) regretting getting my 135 a few weeks ago with the new ///M coming out. ///M is an ///M, you mod as much as you want but it will just be a ///M "wannabe".. Just my .02
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 04:01 PM   #8
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
It's so funny when I read ignorant statements like this. So, then you're theory should be the same that the M3 is just a 335 with NA engine and some mods? Also, didn't realize you've already driven the 1M. My bad.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 04:12 PM   #9
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

correction: 328 with some mods, in this case..
mtla4 is ignorant..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
It's so funny when I read ignorant statements like this. So, then you're theory should be the same that the M3 is just a 335 with NA engine and some mods? Also, didn't realize you've already driven the 1M. My bad.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 04:29 PM   #10
michifan
Old Soul
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM BWM 135iC

If you are getting the M3 at or below 'auction' pricing and know it is in good shape, I'd buy it. M3s hold their resale value well and you'll probably see significantly less depreciation than a new 1cM.

I have a feeling that the 1cM is going to disappoint people. Too many people on this board know what the N54 engine can do and will be disappointed if it is south of 400whp.

I'm not saying that I know more than anyone about what the 1cM will be, but pre-launch hype always seems to lead to disappointment.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 05:16 PM   #11
Raine
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E82, '04 E60

M3 man.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 05:33 PM   #12
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

If you really do not want to miss the M3, then get it. It s the last NA M Car. Nimble M car as M1 and TT I6 as M1 you will be yet able to have later as M1 F22 or M3 F32.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 05:52 PM   #13
Xyloft
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 128i

maintenance costs? i looked into an E46 M3 not too long ago, and i was turned off by the scheduled maintenance costs at the 60-70k mark.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 06:17 PM   #14
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

You have got to be kidding, just buy the M3...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #15
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
No brainer. F/I vs M3 which is a 335i with some mods and a different motor.

*facepalm*

OP: A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 06:34 PM   #16
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

You'll be lucky to see 16mpg in the M3 driving all city. Trust me on that one. Averaging less than 16mpg on premium fuel is one thing if I'll able to stretch my legs. It doesn't sound like your case.
      07-22-2010, 12:48 AM   #17
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
LOL you guys are so offended easily. I'm amazed. Read again....The 1M or whatever you call it will probably be something like the E53 4.8IS X5 was a few years ago. It wasn't a true M car since it was an upgraded 4.4 X5(stroked+moving redline as the oil temp goes higher)...the new M1 will probably have an N54 or N55 and the M3 DOES not share it's engine with any other car in the line up...

I sold my 1er in order to get back in an high reving N/A car. I don't care for an any F/I car. I don't want an upgraded N55 or N54 I would have kept my 1er(with a tune) and upgrade suspension components with M1 parts since I don't care about visual appearance. I would have done my own weight reduction worst comes to worst and slapped an LSD.

Now if Bmw had slapped an engine based on the S65 minus 2 cylinders or something I would have maybe waited for the M1 or 1M M coupe who knows..

Thanks for reading properly

Quote:
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.

Last edited by mtla4; 07-22-2010 at 01:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 01:34 AM   #18
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
LOL you guys are so offended easily. I'm amazed. Read again....The 1M or whatever you call it will probably be something like the E53 4.8IS X5 was a few years ago. It wasn't a true M car since it was an upgraded 4.4 X5(stroked+moving redline as the oil temp goes higher)...the new M1 will probably have an N54 or N55 and the M3 DOES not share it's engine with any other car in the line up...

I sold my 1er in order to get back in an high reving N/A car. I don't care for an any F/I car. I don't want an upgraded N55 or N54 I would have kept my 1er(with a tune) and upgrade suspension components with M1 parts since I don't care about visual appearance. I would have done my own weight reduction worst comes to worst and slapped an LSD.

Now if Bmw had slapped an engine based on the S65 minus 2 cylinders or something I would have maybe waited for the M1 or 1M M coupe who knows..

Thanks for reading properly
I think you're missing the point. Just because the M3 doesn't share it's engine with any other 3 series in it's line-up does not make it a better choice and is not a good reason at all. Yes, if you plan to mod your car the 135i would be a better choice with a few mods. I'm sure the 1M will have more advanced technology than a 135i with a tune though.

The N54 engine itself has been worthy of an M badge since it's introduction to the market. If BMW decided to use the N54 tuned to 400hp instead of the S65 in it's current gen M3 they could have done so and it would have been perfectly acceptable. There will always be the FI haters but this is the trend now, I imagine all future M cars will be FI.

Also, the OP said that they drive 99% in the city. That's the beauty of having an engine with plenty of torque down low. The argument between NA and FI is never-ending but these new FI engines BMW are coming out with are ideal for everyday use especially around town and in the city. The torque is very useable and you don't need to ring out the rpm band to feel all of it's power. The M3 on the hand is extremely docile around town but a beast in the higher rpm which is ideal for the track.

I'd say go with the 1M because:
1. It'll probably cost around the same as a 2nd hand M3, and I'd take the newer car.
2. It's smaller which is what you like about your current 1 series.
3. It will be more exclusive because it's very new.
4. It will suit your driving style and requirements.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 01:57 AM   #19
felixdahousecat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
Hmmmmm........if you drive in the city mostly, maybe keep the 128i and invest the difference? You do own the 128i outright, correct?

No reason to get rid of a perfectly good car for your situation for one you may not be able to appreciate that much for now. Circumstances might be more favorable later for ownership and enjoyment.
Well said...

My only regret with the car is that it ends in 28 instead of 35...

1M might make up for that, and M3 most certainly would..
Premium
Cold Weather
Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 02:08 AM   #20
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
I think you're missing the point. Just because the M3 doesn't share it's engine with any other 3 series in it's line-up does not make it a better choice and is not a good reason at all. Yes, if you plan to mod your car the 135i would be a better choice with a few mods. I'm sure the 1M will have more advanced technology than a 135i with a tune though.

The N54 engine itself has been worthy of an M badge since it's introduction to the market. If BMW decided to use the N54 tuned to 400hp instead of the S65 in it's current gen M3 they could have done so and it would have been perfectly acceptable. There will always be the FI haters but this is the trend now, I imagine all future M cars will be FI.

Also, the OP said that they drive 99% in the city. That's the beauty of having an engine with plenty of torque down low. The argument between NA and FI is never-ending but these new FI engines BMW are coming out with are ideal for everyday use especially around town and in the city. The torque is very useable and you don't need to ring out the rpm band to feel all of it's power. The M3 on the hand is extremely docile around town but a beast in the higher rpm which is ideal for the track.

I'd say go with the 1M because:
1. It'll probably cost around the same as a 2nd hand M3, and I'd take the newer car.
2. It's smaller which is what you like about your current 1 series.
3. It will be more exclusive because it's very new.
4. It will suit your driving style and requirements.
Well said. But like I said I understand all that it all depends on expectations. I got other cars to DD so the M3 will be a fun car. With the 135 it was just an other torque monster amazing daily driver. If I had to buy a DD then the M3 wouldn't be it...it would be a 335D

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 02:09 AM   #21
felixdahousecat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Here's what I am thinking...a bit of best of both world's scenario..

The deal is that the M3 would need to be bought by the end of august, I could have the 128i sold by then and take on the M3. Because I live in Canada, and it seems like there is a two month delay for anything to ever arrive here, that puts me at around 8-10 months to get bored of the M and tired of the gas mileage....at that point, sell the M3 or trade it in for a 1M as a more long term option...

It's a hard call...many have made very good cases for both sides...even harder to make a decision when we no next to nothing about one of the options...

BMW86 was bang on about the rev band...driving the M3 in the city is generally a slow and uneventful experience unless you are pushing it into the red.... However doing so is a very good way to get a racing or stunting ticket...
Premium
Cold Weather
Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 05:18 AM   #22
Hairlesswookiee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixdahousecat View Post
Here's what I am thinking...a bit of best of both world's scenario..

The deal is that the M3 would need to be bought by the end of august, I could have the 128i sold by then and take on the M3. Because I live in Canada, and it seems like there is a two month delay for anything to ever arrive here, that puts me at around 8-10 months to get bored of the M and tired of the gas mileage....at that point, sell the M3 or trade it in for a 1M as a more long term option...
This makes sense. Problem is are you willing to pay for the insurance costs?? I don't know about you, but the M3 was a significant premium over what I'm paying right now. Then of course the maintenance might bite you too.