BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-06-2005, 11:26 AM   #1
nawtyxes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire E90

Near Collisions

Has anyone here had any accidents or near brushes with their vehicle? I do recall someone one (female) posting that they had banged up their car awhile and was worried that her parents would get on her.

Personally I've come close, a lady who was driving with a dog in her hand and talking on the phone (had ear piece and was yapppin away) almost broad sided me while i was heading to the airport one morning.
      09-06-2005, 01:27 PM   #2
DHC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW E90 325i

How my BMW’s sunroof and manual gearbox saved my skin:

Was driving through Dunwoody (an Atlanta suburb) one moring coming into work. This is the morning after we had heavy rains and wind from hurricane Katrina. Was going just under 30mph (3rd gear) in a school zone.

Heard a massive BOOM just to the right of my car. Looked up through the sunroof and saw a power transformer had exploded and was raining sparks all over. Needless to say, I floored the accelerator and took off.

In my rearview mirror, about 1 second later, a big old oak tree collapsed across the road sending twigs and leaves all over.

If I’d had an automatic, the car would first have had to kickdown and then accelerate. And I’d be filling out an insurance claim on my totaled ride. Probably would have been trapped in the car for a while, as well.
      09-06-2005, 01:51 PM   #3
nawtyxes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHC

Heard a massive BOOM just to the right of my car. Looked up through the sunroof and saw a power transformer had exploded and was raining sparks all over. Needless to say, I floored the accelerator and took off.... Probably would have been trapped in the car for a while, as well.

probably would have been fried
      09-06-2005, 03:22 PM   #4
BellasBmw
If love is the answer,please rephrase the question
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tit Silver 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Wow how scary!

Ive had many close calls.. Right after it happens, i actually have to take a moment to ask myself.. HOW THE HELL DID I GET OUT OF THAT?! .. its a split second situation. Or when car is about to side swipe me, ive been so lucky cause normally you should check the other lane before swerving into it, but ive just done it, and thank God..each time its happened.. No one was there..

I have a crazy story that happened to my aunt. She was driving a mercedes on the freeway and it was raining. She said the freeway was busy too (middle of the day). She hydroplaned and slid all 4 lanes and ended up about a foot away from the concrete divider. While this was happening, she said it was like slow motion.. she was praying & praying, and when she looked behind her (cause she obviously thought if i dont hit the divider someone will hit me from behind).. the freeway was clear. So about 3 days later, she was outside her house and a strange man pulls up in a truck and stares at her. She asked "can i help u?" And all he said was "Jesus is with you". And he just left.
Weird!!!!!!!
      09-06-2005, 05:40 PM   #5
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I was HOPING the A-hole magnet wouldn't come attached to a German vehicle, but alas, it's still on there. I am constantly two steps ahead of the OTHER driver, so they can't hit me. Watch their eyes, whether they are on the phone and drifting. You should have seen that dog/phone combo and steered well away, already planning at least two open exits for when she failed to drive!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2005, 06:10 PM   #6
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede
I was HOPING the A-hole magnet wouldn't come attached to a German vehicle, but alas, it's still on there. I am constantly two steps ahead of the OTHER driver, so they can't hit me. Watch their eyes, whether they are on the phone and drifting. You should have seen that dog/phone combo and steered well away, already planning at least two open exits for when she failed to drive!!!
you are in california, ever see tht commercial with the lady on the phone then cuts 2 lane to exit at the last minuter??? your story remind me of it. looks funny when you watch it, but i dont think its funny when it really happens.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2005, 06:44 PM   #7
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

Unfortunately all my near-misses in the past were not near misses. I have been hit by people several times (two of them while I was stopped at a stoplight). Thankfully no mishaps in the BMW, and I plan to keep it that way.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2005, 01:22 PM   #8
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

The rear view mirror is the place I neglect in a car, and it cost me a tailgate last year. But if I hadn't left the gate down, it would have cost me a lot more. On two wheels, I ALWAYS check behind before/during/after slowing down or stopping.
Appreciate 0