E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > 325i Headlight Mods?

12-21-2006, 05:02 PM   #1
originalrumrunner
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Post 325i Headlight Mods?

I've searched, and read, and searched some more, but to no avail, and some of you folks are probably gonna rip me a new one about this, but I've got some questions about headlight mods. I just recently purchased my second BMW, my first being a 1985, 528e, and the new one being a 325i and the car came with the standard halogen headlights, but i don't like'em. What's the difference between angeleyes and Xenon, HID's and LED's? Can one have angel eyes and still have halogen lights, or are angel eyes only available to those with LED's or HID's or Xenon. I'm not sure that I actually want to change what kind of light comes out of the assembly, just the assembly if I can, I'm fine with halogen. I'm ignorant to all of this because the first bimmer didn't need any of these mods, I was happy being a 15 year old with an eleven year old BMW, but now, I want more for my new auto. Any help is greatly appreciated, as is all of the making fun of that comes along with the good advice!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2006, 05:22 PM   #2
originalrumrunner
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Someone gimme something, please?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2006, 05:28 PM   #3
Chesmu
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
search the "lighting" forum for more details, but I believe sngel eyes are only available with the HID's.
      12-21-2006, 05:45 PM   #4
originalrumrunner
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I went and looked over the forum, but I wish someone could tell me if I could buy angel eye assemblies for halogens and get the same effect.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2006, 06:11 PM   #5
mds82
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
no. you cant get the headlight open to put the angel eyes in there. if you want angel eyes you need xenon's

or you could attempt a custom modification, - but Not recomended
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2006, 09:55 PM   #6
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 320i

Garage List
I think you might do something like that.. I did it on my fog (just click a link on my sig).. But you got to do the dirty works.. opening the headlight assembly, etc... not mentioning the risk you might ruin the whole thing.. Just do a search on how to do this on DIY section...

Now, since I assume you live in the US, I think you will have a difficulty to find the correct angle eyes kit for the the size of halogen reflector (if aftermarket is what you're looking for). But you can check my post months ago about how to make custom angel eyes.. This way you can custom fit.. But a lot of detail works needed... Just don't forget to show us how it turns out... Good luck..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2006, 12:07 AM   #7
Alpine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mds82
no. you cant get the headlight open to put the angel eyes in there. if you want angel eyes you need xenon's

or you could attempt a custom modification, - but Not recomended
+1 To get angel eyes, you must have xenons. You can switch out your halogens for xenons, but it's going to be a pretty expensive conversion. Others have done this conversion on here, and I'm sure there's threads about how they did it. To answer your question about the LED's, the only reason you'd need an LED in the headlight would be to change the color of the angel eyes, and to do that, you have to have angel eyes in the first place (the xenon lights). I'm trying to answer your base questions, but I think I might've just confused myself. I hope I made sense, but if not, I'll reply to any questions you have. Keep using that search button, there's threads like this all over the forum.