BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-01-2010, 03:34 AM   #1
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 128i Sport /w PDC and ComAcc

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
aFe Cold Air Intake install and review

UPDATES AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST
So yesterday I installed my ny aFe intake and I LOVE IT.

I'm going to go over some thing with the installation, sound, performance and then videos.

Installation:

Installation as a whole wasn't too bad. It took about 1 hour to fully install. I was happy with the look of the cover because it gave the fully installed intake a sleek look. The little aFe emblem on the silver metal housing was a nice touch as well. Thats some of the pros I saw in the installation. Now lets talk cons. First this instructions they give you are for a 330i and they are SOOOO vauge. This is not a 128I only part and therefore I was forced to do a little mod. The black metal housing goes on a frame in your engine bay which is supported by screws already there. The problem with that is one of the screws has a clamp on it which holds the radiator hose. I had to remove that clamp and now the hose is somewhat dangling. My buddy who knows more about cars said it should not cause a problem but I still don't like not having that clamp on. I believe its there for a reason. The hose is now touching the housing and could cause a chaffeing problem so I will have to buy another peice of rubber to protect it. I also noticed that where the plastic tube connects to the metal housing there is a gap. They give you a gasket but it's not enough. It doesn't look warped but its not right. There is a gap and that can cause a filtration problem. I might take a heat gun and try and make it flush. A bigger gasket wouldn't help because all the screw holes are flush. Besides all the it went in pretty easy. I hate the instructions though.

Sound
AMAZING sound above 3k RPM. I general its a lower growl and you would absolutly notice the difference with the hood open. In the car /w hood closed its not as noticable at idle. As soon as you step on the gas is a tad bit louder and then its like a joy ride from there. At about 2k is when you start to notice it and then 3K you start to get excited. 4K is orgasmic and 5-7k is amazing. I may over exagerate a bit but I was assuming this mod would make little to no inprovement on sound. I was way wrong. I would suggest this part to anyone as of right now.

OK lets go over crusing. NO DRONE at 60-70mph 6th gear. There is mid drone cruising at 105-115mph in 6th gear but almost none below and above that. Overall you will love it.

Performance

I believe its too early to tell being that I just got it in the car yesterday. I don't notice any less so that is good. I'm so taken by the sound so it automatically seems better. I'll go more into this as I get the part broken in(not broken).

Videos

I took about 5 or so videos and will be putting them on ASAP.

Conclusion: I love it. It sounds amazing and I hope it will be even better with the exhaust and a possible ECU Flash of some sort.

Not The Power Box

UPDATE: 07/01/10
OK now the Drone is a little louder. Still its mainly at around 4k RPM (3.5-4.5ish) But I don't do much driving cruiseing at that RPM range. Its only annoying when you are cruising. Its less annoying when you are going down hill but worse when you are going up hill. Keep in mind to attain this drone I was going between 96-115MPH ish so unless you cruise that high then you are fine. I still love the autobahn though =P

UPDATE: 07/5/10
Yikes the drone is getting on my nerves. This is only because I usually cruise at about 98MPH on the Autobahn. 60-70MPH is still no drone so thats good for you guys in the states. Can there be any adverse affects from drone beside the sound. i.e. vibration damage or something like that.

VIDEOS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmGpL-n7dk8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cROP21DOV9M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86c5tl7vmXQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG-ng9fP81E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2-SMtwbYGc

UPDATE: 07/08/10
Well its been a couple more days so I thought I would give another update. The drone I spoke of before is completely avoidable and whoever is crusing, meaning long periods of time, at around 4k RPM is a little IMO. I mean city driving you are going up and down all the time in RPM and that is where the sound of the intake is great. They call it city driving because its a lot of stop-n-go traffic. You don't "cruise" in the city.

Anyways, I have been noticing the throttle response and I like it. The response is nothing to brag about though. It also has a somewhat power increase at about 3-6krpm. I read that it takes a bit to break in the part so maybe I am noticing it more since it's broken in.
Black Badge - Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 18" - ASA AR1 18" - B&M Short Shifter - aFe Stage 2 CAI Pro 5 R - Gloss Black Kidney Grills - Performance Pedal Kit - CDV delete - Custom Tint - Bastuck Exhaust w/o Silencer - Custom Tune

Last edited by B_2_B_P; 07-08-2010 at 06:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 11:55 AM   #2
M II
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Great Review!

I'm glad that aFe setup is working out for you! Our customers love the setups on their BMWs as well!

You have a PM regarding the exhaust by the way.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s II View Post
Great Review!

I'm glad that aFe setup is working out for you! Our customers love the setups on their BMWs as well!

You have a PM regarding the exhaust by the way.
Yes overall a great Mod but there are a lot of negatives. So if you are ok with the drone and with modifying your car to make this fit and lastly to seal right then go for it.
Black Badge - Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 18" - ASA AR1 18" - B&M Short Shifter - aFe Stage 2 CAI Pro 5 R - Gloss Black Kidney Grills - Performance Pedal Kit - CDV delete - Custom Tint - Bastuck Exhaust w/o Silencer - Custom Tune
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

Thanks for the review. Based on the drone issue I will pass. I do a lot of city driving and spend quite some time in the mentioned 3500-4000 rm range.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrichd View Post
Thanks for the review. Based on the drone issue I will pass. I do a lot of city driving and spend quite some time in the mentioned 3500-4000 rm range.
I am uploading several videos atm so I would wait before you decide. I love the sound it makes and I can't even tell you how many people have commented on the sound...in a good way.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Ok all 5 videos up. I hope you like them. Up top.

Last edited by B_2_B_P; 07-05-2010 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 09:30 PM   #7
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

This is a great review! Thanks!!!
Have u seen/tried the injen intake? How does this compare?
      07-08-2010, 06:18 AM   #8
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
I have not tried the injen. I wanted to try out aFe. I just did my best to add a non-bias review.

Also I made another update up top.

Last edited by B_2_B_P; 07-08-2010 at 06:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 12:38 PM   #9
M II
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

It took our 135i about 250 miles to learn the increased air flow and get more power on the dyno.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 01:38 PM   #10
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Nice thats about how many I have on this intake. Maybe a bit less. Hey Mod TY for responding to this post. Could you explain to us whats going on with ANY exhaust/ECU flashes for the 128? I have made other posts yet no company will respond with anything but "oh we don't have that"...REALLY?!?! How long has this engine been out...

Also...Germany has a HUGE increase in HP (40-59HP) form an ECU re-map. Whats up with America? Are we just not smart enough?

Imagine how much money you could make from us? But, thats not gonna happen without products. I bet many companies are losing out on business as we speak because no one is making products. You and all companys should know there won't be demand for a product thats not there.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 03:08 PM   #11
shiccobm
Neo
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I

Hey Man , great review , i am have been doing a lot of research and i like the afe intake a lot , but i do have a question. Does afe intake comes with a sensor adapater and where it is located. I tried installing a greddy intake and i found out that my sensor is part of the whole box instead of the pipe. So that did'nt work , i still installed the intake and the sensor but my car wont keep a start , it will shut off right away.
Thanks
      07-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #12
M II
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_2_B_P View Post
Nice thats about how many I have on this intake. Maybe a bit less. Hey Mod TY for responding to this post. Could you explain to us whats going on with ANY exhaust/ECU flashes for the 128? I have made other posts yet no company will respond with anything but "oh we don't have that"...REALLY?!?! How long has this engine been out...

Also...Germany has a HUGE increase in HP (40-59HP) form an ECU re-map. Whats up with America? Are we just not smart enough?

Imagine how much money you could make from us? But, thats not gonna happen without products. I bet many companies are losing out on business as we speak because no one is making products. You and all companys should know there won't be demand for a product thats not there.
We have the BMS JB3 PNP that makes the same amount of power as that flash you're talking about. It's also a convenient piggyback system that can be removed altogether for when you have to take the car into service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiccobm View Post
Hey Man , great review , i am have been doing a lot of research and i like the afe intake a lot , but i do have a question. Does afe intake comes with a sensor adapater and where it is located. I tried installing a greddy intake and i found out that my sensor is part of the whole box instead of the pipe. So that did'nt work , i still installed the intake and the sensor but my car wont keep a start , it will shut off right away.
Thanks
The aFe Power intakes have a properly designed MAF tube to where you MAF sensor mounts on. A lot of cheap intake kits do not take into account that altering MAF tube dimensions can lead to the ECU pulling back timing and ultimately losing power.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #13
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
We have the BMS JB3 PNP that makes the same amount of power as that flash you're talking about. It's also a convenient piggyback system that can be removed altogether for when you have to take the car into service.

The aFe Power intakes have a properly designed MAF tube to where you MAF sensor mounts on. A lot of cheap intake kits do not take into account that altering MAF tube dimensions can lead to the ECU pulling back timing and ultimately losing power.
I have a 128i. The BMS JB3 PNP i thought was for the 135i. Explain please.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #14
1013mm
aka 1013MM
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: pokingly flush

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.26]
how can you have drone from an intake? unless you have an exhaust? ??
      07-26-2010, 05:04 PM   #15
M II
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_2_B_P View Post
I have a 128i. The BMS JB3 PNP i thought was for the 135i. Explain please.
I thought you were talking about tunes in Germany for the 135i - my apologies.

Where do you guys get tunes in Germany for the 128i that yields that much power? I haven't seen anything like that in the US market that gives that much of an increase on the N52 motors.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 05:13 PM   #16
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
I thought you were talking about tunes in Germany for the 135i - my apologies.

Where do you guys get tunes in Germany for the 128i that yields that much power? I haven't seen anything like that in the US market that gives that much of an increase on the N52 motors.
wintertuning claims around 40hp, its mostly on the 328i forum, but there are about 2-3 that give you a 30+ hp gain. i dont think anyone has actually tried it on the 128i
      07-26-2010, 10:58 PM   #17
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
yes in Germany, where I am stationed, there are 2 places that I've found so far. I posted it in the 1st post. All it is is a crack. Our engines have the natural power. The people in germany however are the only ones that can unleash it.

To be clear its from 230 BHP to 270 BHP and if I have the stage 3 intake then 289 BHP.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 09:22 AM   #18
shiccobm
Neo
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I

Quote:

Perfect then , i just wanted to make sure.Thanks a lot
      07-27-2010, 11:53 AM   #19
Sdracing
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i

Any pictures?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 10:40 AM   #20
nathywin
nathywin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
does the intake make the turbo any louder? i just bought my 135i and i am coming from a sti and im really missing the sound
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #21
M II
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathywin View Post
does the intake make the turbo any louder? i just bought my 135i and i am coming from a sti and im really missing the sound
You'll definitely be able to hear the turbo spool a lot more with an intake! It'll sound similar to the STI, but a little smoother since your car is an inline six.

Do it!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 03:52 AM   #22
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathywin View Post
My buddy has an STI and the sound that sticks out most is the exhaust. I love it. Its crazy a 4 can make that kind of sound. I do not know anyone with a aFe in a 135 yet. Then again maybe I have already seen one and didn't know. There are a LOT of 128's and 135's at spangdahlem.
Appreciate 0