ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > USA - California
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-25-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
a_riddler
Bimmer Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC;08 MBZ E350 4Matic

Angry The train wreck that is BMW South County

Well, in what was thought to have been a good deal has spiraled into a complete nightmare.

I recently (two weeks ago) purchased a CPO'd 08 Z4MC from BMW South County. I got a decent but not great price in an out-of-state, cash deal. The dealer arranged for auto transportation and I thought things were good. They get the check and the silence begins.

A week goes by from when the car was scheduled for pickup and the auto transport company hasn't contacted me. So, I call the dealer to get a status (realizing that I was never provided any info on the auto transport company) and they have no idea where the car is or who the auto transport company is. It seems this was all arranged by the salesman and he was off that day... After escalating up the management chain, nobody knows and a promise is made that the salesman will call me back the next day.

I get the call the next day and they forward me the quote and contact info for the auto transport company, stating they have no idea where the car is, should be 3 days to get up to Seattle from San Diego. I contact the transport company and get told the car is still two more days away. To make matters worse, the actual quote clearly states it will take that long, so why was I being told 3 days.

Delivery day comes. I had requested that the car be shipped to BMW Seattle, so my service manager could bring the car in and give it a once over, but was told they cant' ship the car to another dealership. Really???
The delivery driver calls me to tell me he is dropping the car off at the Phil Smart MBZ dealership (a block away from BMW Seattle) for me to pick up! Okay, are they just trying to piss me off now?

I walk up to the truck as he pulls in, he pulls the car off the carrier, has me sign a paper and says there you go. Now, granted I did walk up to him, but what if someone else had walked up to him. He never asked for an id or proof I was the actual one picking up the car, that could have gone wrong...

I get the car and drive it a block to have it looked over. The first good news is that all the service is up to date.

So, I drive the car home the long way.. While driving I notice that I have no temp tags, and really nothing that says I own the car. So, I make the tough call to actually drive the speed limit (not easy at all).

I call the dealership to ask where is my title. After three rounds of voice mail, I get a person name Veronica. She immediately goes on the defensive and starts blaming the other people that she doesn't have the info and that she will get the info and call me back. The clock starts ticking...

I continue to try to get a hold of her, only to get VM, escalate to her manager only to get VM. A week goes by and I finally get a hold of the "title manager". I am told that Veronica is on a performance plan and they are having issues with her. Really?? That's what you tell customers? What happened to phrases like "I'll take care of it" "I'm sorry, I'll get this sorted out"? Instead, I am told that they don't have the title and it could take months to get a title. Really?? You sold a car without a title?

I am now two weeks with no title and worse, no eta for the title. We have 30 days to register a car here in WA, so I'm watching the clock and hoping.

This is the kind of crap I would expect from a strip mall car dealership, not a BMW dealership. What has the experience been for you guys in SoCal? Was this a fluke or should I have steered clear of this place?

08 Z4MC /// DKF Exhaust, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, TCK Coilovers, Strong-Strut, Apex EC-7's, APR Splitter/Wing,
AFE Intake, Underdrive pulleys, AS SSK, Jaffster, UUC Tranny Mounts, Matte Grill, RPI Scoop, CF Badges
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
Vertigo//SD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i (temporarily)

Your troubles totally suck...

Are you referring to BMW South County in El Cajon, CA? I don't know about the current state of the dealership but I bought a new 328Ci many years ago when it was Cunningham BMW. Sunroad Automotive is now the owner and they also own a number of other SD dealerships including Toyota just down the street from me. BMW South County will soon be moving next door. This is convenient for me but I'll most likely stick with BMW of San Diego since I've never had a problem with them.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Wow, that does suck. I would contact BMW NA... if they breath down the dealership's neck for doing something this obviously wrong then hopefully they will at least give you status updates on it. Really the least they could do.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 05:11 PM   #4
a_riddler
Bimmer Noob
United_States
Rep

Yes, the one in El Cajon.

Its a cash deal, I'm out of state, I'm not going to be doing any more business with them, so I know I'm don't have a carrot to dangle over them, but come on. Close the deal and move on.

I was going to simply give BMW NA a wrap up of the whole transaction, thinking them unable to directly intercede with the dealer. But you make a good point, any additional option to apply pressure should be followed up on.

Thanks for letting me vent. I'll take some comfort in that the car is in great shape and this is just temporary.

Also, want to admit that much of the leg work for this I should have done and not trusted to the dealer. That's my bad.

08 Z4MC /// DKF Exhaust, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, TCK Coilovers, Strong-Strut, Apex EC-7's, APR Splitter/Wing,
AFE Intake, Underdrive pulleys, AS SSK, Jaffster, UUC Tranny Mounts, Matte Grill, RPI Scoop, CF Badges
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 10:31 AM   #5
Nhopkins1394
Accountant, 1st Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roadster, Black

BMW delivery problems

So how is the car running?
OK I hope.
Did you get the totle?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 01:21 PM   #6
a_riddler
Bimmer Noob
United_States
Rep

Here is the update.

After much escalation and stress, I got the title. The whole issue could have been avoided if they had just given us an ETA. Once they actually looked at the issue, the title was fedex'd overnight.

The good news, the car is great! I took it out for the driver's skills class and had a blast. Next is Pacific Raceways! I'm officially a track junkie!

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 07:22 PM   #7
fercho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4 2.5

i think you are almost my neighbort I live almost in the same place that you jhejhe
Appreciate 0