E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > A couple of question

12-17-2006, 09:10 AM   #1
Dmitriy@AUTOcouture
Major
Rep
Drives: carefully

A couple of question

Hey guys,

I just ordered a 328xi 6MT due to arrive in February and have a couple of questions for those who are in the NYC area.

1. I need to get this thing tinted, with excellent quality. A couple of my friends reffered me to a guy by the name of Junior whos on Atlantic Ave. in Brooklyn. Anybody used him? Any other recommendations?

2. This question is probably going to make ur day, or somehow make you laugh so here goes: Ever since I was little, I always knew that the first car I ever owned was going to be a manual. So to fulfill my dream now that I am at the age of 22, I ordered my car with a stick. Heres the dilemma, I know how to drive stick just a little bit (from the days when I was a valet @ the age of 16), but don't know enough so that I can guarantee I won't burn the clutch when I drive it out of the dealership in February.

Having said that, I have a 2 month window to learn... which I feel is more than adequate. My question is, can someone recommend a driving school that teaches manual. Or moreover, if someone from here wants to teach me... I will pay accordingly.

I know the question is far fetched, and all of you are wondering why is this guy ordering a $44k car with a stick if he doesnt know how to drive it. In a nutshell, the answer to that question is simply that I am trying to fulfill my desire. Thats it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Dmitriy
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2006, 09:34 AM   #2
mmm def
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 330, 19 ND2 RF, 11 RX350

http://www.tropictint.com/

1449 Stuyvesant Ave
Union, NJ
(908) 688-8705

These guys do excellent work, it's a hike for you but worth it.

Also if you want to come out to NJ I'll help you on your stick driving.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2006, 10:32 AM   #3
Dmitriy@AUTOcouture
Major
Rep
Drives: carefully

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm def
http://www.tropictint.com/

1449 Stuyvesant Ave
Union, NJ
(908) 688-8705

These guys do excellent work, it's a hike for you but worth it.

Also if you want to come out to NJ I'll help you on your stick driving.
Are you ok with me driving your car? I have insurance.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2007, 06:37 PM   #4
IMJUSS2NASTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I MONTEGO BLUE

You Can Pretty Much Learn How To Drive Stick On Your Own. First Time Owned A Manual Vehicle, I Had To Go To South Jersey To Pick It Up. Friend Of Mine Drove Me Down There, And I Pretty Much Drove It Back Myself. Stalled A Few Times But Sure Did Learn Alot. You Can Also Pretty Much Go To Any Shop And Have Your Windows Tinted, Just Make Sure They Offer Life Time Warranty, As Most Shops Do.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2007, 08:51 PM   #5
Pele96
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i 6MT

Hi I would go to top of line tint. Ask for Phil. Tell him Fernando referred you. This guy has been doing this for 15 years. His office number is #2014012530. They are located in Lodi, NJ..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2007, 12:59 PM   #6
Aristanet
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

rent a car with a stick for couple of days...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2007, 01:40 PM   #7
sr47567
Private
Rep
Drives: G35 / 335i (e90)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristanet View Post
rent a car with a stick for couple of days...
Hello,
I don't think you can easily rent a car with a stick. Most major rental companies, Hertz, Avis, Dollar, National, Budget, etc won't rent manual tranny cars in the US. In Europe they are all over the place. In the US you'd have to go to a specialty place where renting a manual car may well cost a couple of hundred per day.
- SR
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2007, 08:39 PM   #8
Pecty
Double Underhook Suplex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Garage List
2018 F80 M3  [0.00]
With BMW manual trans. it is almost effortless shifting, like it wants to go into gear. I learned to drive stick in Vermont, which topographically looks like the Himalayas. Great for snowboarding, bad for learning stick.. Long story short I didn't drive stick again for over 2 years. When I picked up my car last month I literally jumped in and took off, the only thing (which my sales person pointed out) reverse is all the way to the left and up with a slight resistance. There is a good explanation of reverse in the owners manual (which just so happens to be posted http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29803.) Depending on the size of the dealership you could always make a loop or two around the parking lot to get familiar again. Its like riding a bike, you never forget, just take it easy, nice fluid movement with the clutch at you should be turning laps with BMW-M WTCC team.
aka Andre the Giant
Appreciate 0