E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Next best thing to Halogen-2-HID... Help

12-15-2006, 01:47 PM   #1
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Msport + E83 Msport

Next best thing to Halogen-2-HID... Help

Hey guys, I originally intended to retrofit the Xenons into my e90, had all the components -- but decided to strip that idea due to hrs of labor involved, etc.

So, this isn't a thread about how to convert my Halogens into xenons...

What i need help is with the popular Mtec HID kit that's floating around ebay for approximately $350-$400.

I was contemplating on whether or not I should put these in the Halogen housing, but after doing a brief search, I found that the Halogen housing will be too reflective and thus lead to a much dispersed light effect. This is the last thing that I want to do to my bimmer -- be an eyesore.

So, I was thinking about keeping the Halogens as they are, and actually replacing the fogs ONLY with this HID kit... I feel that some may start flaming saying this and that and how it'll look stupid, but I'm convinced that i'll like the setup... Halogens Low/High, HID fogs.

So, my questions are:

Will the Mtec cause any type of error? (Or will it run like nothing's wrong)
How arduous is the labor? With limited electrical knowledge, will I be able to do the install myself?

Any help would help guys
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2006, 02:32 PM   #2
Minipuck V 2.0
秘書負責保持它真正
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 快車

The fog still gives a error message but it should be only for a brief time. It should be a simple plug and play setup. You should be able to do this yourself
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2006, 02:40 PM   #3
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

from what others have reported, it'll still give an error msg

not flaming, but why not just save up your money for a bit longer and do it right (halogen -> OEM xenon)?
      12-15-2006, 05:21 PM   #4
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

I had Xenons, bought a brand new footwell module -- so i was ready to rocknroll. But, given that i didn't really want to start cutting into wires and what not, i decided against it and just parted it out...

that's why i have the FRM for sale in my signature

Plus, the real way of "doing it right" would mean i would actually have to get the entire retrofit kit... and that, w/ parts and labor, will simply mean i'm going to be down approx. $3000. I'd rather spend that money on some performance and exterior mods.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2006, 05:57 PM   #5
bmviz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 E90  [0.00]
I think that fog are H11 and the High/Low are H7. Be advice that they are not interchangeable.
Anyway, HID may look "cool" but I not sure how they effective during fog.

Save your $$$$ just get Silverstars.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2006, 06:11 PM   #6
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

bmviz, i like your advice... thanks for your input... i mean, i guess i can just do silverstars on both fog and lows
Appreciate 0