E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest > Moving to AZ - How Is The Drive?

12-14-2006, 11:21 PM   #1
adl320
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E34 M5 Dinan Stroker

Moving to AZ - How Is The Drive?

I will soon be taking delivery of a new '07 328i sedan. My first BMW and I simply can't wait! I got hooked after driving the 328i coupe/sedan a few times when I was looking for my next ride after the end of my Saab 93 2.0T lease.

I'm also going to be moving to the Phoenix area from the Baltimore, Maryland area in about the next three months. One thing I love about my daily commute here is that I have lots of country roads with plenty of twists, and turns near my home and on my ride to work. Places to have fun with a car like the BMW.

I've been to Phoenix on business several times and surveying the area from the air, complements of Google Earth, it would appear that there aren't many "enthusist roads" to run on? Lots of straight lines.

I'm sure there are some out there but thought I'd pose the question. I don't want to feel that I'm missing out on spirited driving opportunities and I didn't get ZSP to go straight!
      12-17-2006, 02:08 PM   #2
Chesmu
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
new city in a flat desert. not streets are straigh, etc. Areas to the south and northeast offer some good driving roads.

the humidity levels are great for the car.

get covered parking or invest in a car cover and windshield screen.
      12-17-2006, 10:03 PM   #3
arcrox
E90post addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 G20 M340i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Recommend some roads to drive on?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2006, 10:06 PM   #4
adl320
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E34 M5 Dinan Stroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesmu
new city in a flat desert. not streets are straigh, etc. Areas to the south and northeast offer some good driving roads.

the humidity levels are great for the car.

get covered parking or invest in a car cover and windshield screen.
Good idea! I plan on ensuring a house with at least 2 car garage. Need to keep our rides out of the oven. I imagine you get to keep you cars clean for a good while too. Back east, it's almost a given that it'll either rain or a flock of birds will take a crap on your hood just after you finish washing!
      12-19-2006, 06:47 PM   #5
vividracing
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, F30 335i, F80 M3

Az Track Day

PM, Email, or Call Directly for aggressive BMW Member Pricing
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2006, 07:39 PM   #6
Smalldog
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Coupe

As far as roads to drive on here, I went with some friends to look at model homes on the *far* west side of town (west side of the White Tanks), and found possibly the best place to let loose....

I-10 West and get off on Sun Valley Rd. Head north.. After you pass what would essentially be Indian School Rd (about 3 miles), it's divided, two lanes in each direction. There is nothing out there!!!

It's clear all the way until the road curves around to meet Bell Rd.

Smalldog
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 06:39 PM   #7
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

During the day and day only it can be a bad part of town and a lot of strange people go there at night. But take a drive up south mountain, its the mountain if you are in downtown phoenix you look south west and it has the red flashing lights at night from the antenna towers. You enter the park from the north side of the mountain (not from ahwatukee side).

So go to baseline and central, take a left on central so you are going south, central will take you right into the park follow the road for a good while until you get into a fork type deal then take telegraph pass which is a left at the fork off of central. Then enjoy the road all the way to the summit.

I will get back to you if I think of any more.. The other places I have been going to for "fun" driving have had a ton of cops around or they put speed bumps up..

Maybe we can make a 3 series meet up drive up telegraph pass and take some pictures.
Appreciate 0