E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N54 v N55 .. One guy's impressions

06-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
lolachampcar
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 535 with Software Only

N54 v N55 .. One guy's impressions

I had a chance to drive the 2011 535 and 550 today at lunch and wanted to post my reaction while it is still fresh.

First, the 5 series chassis is huge. The only reason I post that here is it had an effect on the butt dyno hauling so much more car around. The thing literally felt like the 740 I had many years ago. The size does give it a mongo mafia trunk big enough for two large adults

I drove the 535 first and I really feel sorry for those that end up with the N55 as opposed to the N54. The car was a real mutt. It felt more like a 28 then a 35. It was lacking down low, in the middle and up top compared to my 2010 535 when it was stock. I expected much more given the engine has what seems to be an infinite number of gears to work with.

The 550 was waiting when I pulled in with the 535 which allowed for a back to back comparison. Wow what a difference. I drove the new seven series several months back and had the same impression of the engine; it has good solid power delivery. I would guess that the car would easily out pull my 535 when it was stock and may just nip my car now with the calibration update. If the weight was the same, I think it would certainly out pull a tuned 535.

I did have one stomach in the throat moment on the on ramp at about 110. I stomped on the brakes reasonably hard to make sure I got down to a good merge speed and the car wallowed around like a pig. It felt like too much compliance in the suspension pickup points causing them to load up then release then load back up again. In fact, it felt just like trying to haul the old seven series down from triple digits in a hurry although I think the seven was more stable. Standing on the brakes at forty or so was perfectly normal and predictable. Doing so at real speed was anything but……

The ride setting was on Sport+ that seems to disable DSC but what I felt was not latteral load DSC stuff.

Last edited by lolachampcar; 06-03-2010 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: Damper comments below
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
GTR-Dad
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M5 - DCT

Thanks for the review. Glad I've got an N54!

Regarding suspension response, I noticed the same thing going from my 2006 330xi to my 2009 335i with xDrive. The 330 is nimble, planted, responsive to driver inputs, and forgiving of small errors under 7-8 10ths cornering loads.
The 335 wallowed and struggled to take a set during hard cornering events even with decently smooth driver inputs!

I changed out to some performance oriented coilovers and handling is now even better than my 330, so there's hope for the new 5 series too.

Cheers,
Dan
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
lolachampcar
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 535 with Software Only

Nick,

I got the offer too which is how I got to drive them. Nice deal. They have a 5 minute presentation about the new car then simply turn you loose to go drive anything you want all by yourself. They actually trusted me.........

You will have fun.
Appreciate 0