2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes 19-inch wheels on Sport pkg - prone to cracking?

06-02-2010, 11:45 PM   #1
Mr. Magic
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 E46/330 and 2011 F10/535i

19-inch wheels on Sport pkg - prone to cracking?

I've tried to figure this out via search, but have not been able to find a resolution.

There are many problems, posts, and investigations with predominantly 19-inch BMW wheels and wheel cracking. Tends to be with run-flats.

Does anyone know if BMW got to the bottom of this so as not to affect the F10 Sport package? Apparently, BMW a few months ago started replacing them under warranty - before that, they denied the problem existed and blamed the potholes for cracking wheels. Was it a wheel type, run-flat tire, or combo of both? I cannot tell from the info out there.

Appreciate if someone with good knowledge of this issue might enlighten us as to the F10 Sport package.

-Magic
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 12:51 AM   #2
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
The E9x Sport Package has pretty low profile tires with the hard RFT sidewalls. I would think it would be more prone to pothole damage. The 535i Sport Package tires aren't so low profile. And they put Goodyear Excellence RFT tires on it which aren't quite as harsh as the RE050A RFTs on the E9x. I'd say there's lower risk, but there's always a chance. I'm not going to worry about it and didn't get the wheel and tire insurance. If you're so worried about it, get the insurance. It's kinda pricey, though. My dealer quoted me $1k for 3 years, I think.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 08:44 AM   #3
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
I am stuck right now in a small US town 3000 KM from home with a cracked rear wheel and 2 bad rear tires. One interesting post with good background was posted to me in another forum and I let you have a look here is what the Gentleman posted, it is the best feedback I got on the dilemma I am in at the moment stuck here in a hotel room waiting for a new wheel to arrive at the local BMW dealership ......

So it sounds like BMW still have this 19" wheel crack problem!! Well documented in the UK that one.

See here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/200 ... heels.html

Update to the story here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/200 ... alter.html

I have 18" RFT's and the rears needed changing around 12,000 miles!

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0