E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > About to book my ED trip..Am I missing anything?

12-08-2006, 09:18 PM   #1
Craigito
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16' F82 M4

Garage List
2020 BMW M4   [10.00]
About to book my ED trip..Am I missing anything?

First off, have any of you ED folks got the 2 for 1 deal on the cheaper off-peak rates? I can get round trip from LAX to Munich for $570. I doubt Lufthansa would give me a 2 for1 on these.

A good racin' buddy of mine is still on board even though he's got a baby due only a few months before the trip....cool!

Here is my spec's as of right now..Space Gray 335i, Black Dakota/Poplar, might go Saddle, SP, PP, Step, CA (just can't stomach the 2K for Navi/Idrive right now...might change my mind later).

Here is my schedule...I'm going to book the hotel this weekend. I want to talke to Lufthansa on Monday regarding the BMW rates.

Wed 9/12-Lax to Munich

Thurs 9/13-Arrive in Munich afternoon. Drink, Sleep, Drink , Sightsee until Fri

Fri 9/14-Pickup Car early and make our way towards the Spa-Francorchamps track in Belgium for the Grand Prix weekend (around 400 miles away from Munich)..hopefully have time to catch some of the Friday practice. Hang out w/the locals in town. I've never been to Europe so hopefully I can learn enough of the language to order beer and brats haha. Eventually head back to Hotel (unfortunately closest place I can find is about 50 miles from the track in a town in Western Germany..not great but what am I gonna do?)

Sat and Sun- Track stuff during the day, Belgium Beer at night.

If I can find a late flight Monday we'll take that. I need enough time to drop the car off and then get back to Airport. Don't wanna cut it too close. We may wait until Tues morning to leave.

All this to get a car I haven't even test drove yet. At least I've sat in it. I just don't wanna test drive it yet because it will make my wait even worse. September Delivery, and November by the time I get it shipped here. I just knew the first time I saw this car it would be my next car. I felt the same way about my Audi, I never even test drove another car. Plus...TURBOS!

Do you guys have any suggestions for the trip? I'd love to do a lap on the Nurburgring but don't want to shred my brand new tires and we're a little short on time. I'm just so stoked that i'm gonna be able to have a friend with me for the trip. It's gonna be a LONG 2007. Patience is a virture right?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2006, 09:35 PM   #2
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Sounds awesome man!! just be prepared for a fucked up flight! i just flew to frankfurt a couple months ago and i wasnt doing so well for a couple days.
I really want to go back but the plane ride is what really holds me back from doing a Ed on my 335i. I flew india air roundtrip for like 604$ total and that was booked last minute Nonstop flight. the plane was nice all was well but Im sorry 12 hours on a plane is horrible especially in coach. I have bad knees and ADHD so i cant still for more than an hour at time. I ended up going to the back of the plane in the middle where noone was and lounging across 5 seats. just try to book a light flight so u can take advantage of other seats!!
      12-08-2006, 09:40 PM   #3
jxsanche
Rep
Drives: Ducati 900SS

As far as sheer safety is concerned, ADHD brings a really good point. I fly to Europe quite frequently and the time change it a bitch. Flying business makes it a lot easier, but when you fly coach it's much worse. It takes 3-4 days to get adjusted to the time change, and in the meantime you're always tired even if you are awake.

Hopefully the adrenaline and excitement of driving your brand new 355i will compensate for that, but keep in mind the first few days you may be tired so take it easy.

Regards,
Julian
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2006, 09:58 PM   #4
hotsand5
hotsand5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i 6spd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Check to make sure that the day you want to pick up your car, Germany is not celebrating a national holiday! They have different ones than we do. Another thing is that they close at 3pm Fridays, and closed over the weekend. Make sure you get there Thursday, so Friday won't be a rush. They day you plan on leaving, make sure that you have a late afternoon or early evening flight. You will want some time to find the drop off location (hard to find even w/ my navigation)---{go ALL the way to the dead end of the street in the industrial park and make a left on the side of the building to go up the spiral ramp.--no signage--} You will know what I am talking about when you get there.
If you plan on doing night driving on the autobahn, or if you think that it will snow hard, or if there will be heavy fog...then PLEASE buy a portable navigation unit at least..return after use if needed. That was a life saver. There is no way that you can read a map in the dark and drive on the autobahn while looking for exits...and not see the signs until you pass over them. There are no lights on the autobahn (out of major cities), so put those xenons to good use; however, signage simplicity is excellent.
-Stay out of the left lane unless you know nobody is behind you. If you get rear ended, its your FAULT!
-If you run out of gas on the autobahn, it is illegal!
-Windshield washer fluid is CONCENTRATE (the pink stuff)...you should mix with water. (I knew something was wrong when washer fluid costed more than gasoline per gallon)!
-Bring a video camera--digital camera video doesn't cut it

Have a great time!!!

-2005 Yamaha Warrior 1700 102cu"
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2006, 10:06 PM   #5
Craigito
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4   [10.00]
Thanks lots of good info. I did check the holidays and nothing is going on in September. I also thought about renting the Nav. I will DEFINATELY do that if I end up not getting Navi/Idrive. I wish we could stay longer to adjust to the time change but I've got to get my buddy back to his family, especially with a two month old at home. If he wasn't going with me, it would be a turnaround trip. That would suck big time but the savings are too good to pass up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsand5
Check to make sure that the day you want to pick up your car, Germany is not celebrating a national holiday! They have different ones than we do. Another thing is that they close at 3pm Fridays, and closed over the weekend. Make sure you get there Thursday, so Friday won't be a rush. They day you plan on leaving, make sure that you have a late afternoon or early evening flight. You will want some time to find the drop off location (hard to find even w/ my navigation)---{go ALL the way to the dead end of the street in the industrial park and make a left on the side of the building to go up the spiral ramp.--no signage--} You will know what I am talking about when you get there.
If you plan on doing night driving on the autobahn, or if you think that it will snow hard, or if there will be heavy fog...then PLEASE buy a portable navigation unit at least..return after use if needed. That was a life saver. There is no way that you can read a map in the dark and drive on the autobahn while looking for exits...and not see the signs until you pass over them. There are no lights on the autobahn (out of major cities), so put those xenons to good use; however, signage simplicity is excellent.
-Stay out of the left lane unless you know nobody is behind you. If you get rear ended, its your FAULT!
-If you run out of gas on the autobahn, it is illegal!
-Windshield washer fluid is CONCENTRATE (the pink stuff)...you should mix with water. (I knew something was wrong when washer fluid costed more than gasoline per gallon)!
-Bring a video camera--digital camera video doesn't cut it

Have a great time!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2006, 10:34 PM   #6
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Always fly first class on flights over 4-6 hours. It will save both your back and sanity. Fully flat beds in first 4tw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2006, 10:56 PM   #7
Craigito
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4   [10.00]
Not for $10-12 thousand dollars for a $600 coach ticket. If I could afford a flight like that i'd be buying a car with a prancing horse on it . Even at Lufthansa's 75% off business class, that would pretty much wipe out any savings i'm getting by doing ED. I can suck it up. It will probably be at least 7 years before I fly to Europe again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass
Always fly first class on flights over 4-6 hours. It will save both your back and sanity. Fully flat beds in first 4tw.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2006, 11:29 PM   #8
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass
Correct but the important thing is fully flat beds that aren´t tilted (as is the case in many business class cabins and some FC cabins). Many airlines are rushing to outdo the next. I consider AA´s Flagship Suites nice to London but BA´s service has thicker blankets and pillows.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2006, 01:30 AM   #9
MB330
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2018 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [10.00]
On Fridays at 2pm Munich factory has a great English speaking tour. strongly recommended.
http://www.bmw-werk-muenchen.de/lowb.../en/index.html
      12-09-2006, 04:40 AM   #10
Onemax
335i owner wannabe
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2003 Nissan Maxima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigito
Do you guys have any suggestions for the trip? I'd love to do a lap on the Nurburgring but don't want to shred my brand new tires and we're a little short on time. I'm just so stoked that i'm gonna be able to have a friend with me for the trip. It's gonna be a LONG 2007. Patience is a virture right?
Man you have to take a lap on the Nurburgring. Hell it's pretty close to the Belgium border anyways so you might as well swing by. You won't shred your tires just driving on the track. Quite honestly unless you've driven the track alot, you won't run as fast as you think you would. There are so many turns you tend to be on the cautious side.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2006, 09:47 AM   #11
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIVKI89
On Fridays at 2pm Munich factory has a great English speaking tour. strongly recommended.
http://www.bmw-werk-muenchen.de/lowb.../en/index.html
And sometimes our friend Rolf Raffelsieper gives the engl. lang. tour - look out for him if you take it.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2006, 12:27 PM   #12
Lydiamight
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640D Motorsport Convertible

A really good European "mapping" website is www.mappy.com. According to them Munich to Spa is 430 miles---although I only put the centre of each town in rather than the actual addresses. Out of that 430 miles around 425 is on Autobahn (Freeway) Mappy.com suggests a journey time of 6hrs 25 minutes which I think is reasonable. You will have to average just under 70 to make this time---without any stops.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2006, 01:18 PM   #13
Lydiamight
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640D Motorsport Convertible

Just remembered one other thing---if you have time, and you delay your trip by just a few days then the Oktoberfest begins in Munich next year on September 16th. It's great experience and not to be missed if you have the chance.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2006, 01:33 PM   #14
RUBER
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Alfa 156

If you're visiting Belgium and this the first time you 're visiting Europe, try to make time to visit the city of Bruges in Flanders close to the sea, some 200 km from Francorchamps. It is one of the few fully medieval cities left in Europe and I can tell you...it 's marvellous!

My experience is that flying from Phoenix to Europe is cheaper than from LAX. I got family in Phoenix and L.A. and always take continental airways from Schiphol Amsterdam to Phoenix Sky Harbour. Flew around easter earlier this year for 515$ round trip. Apparently you found a good price too.

If you want more info on Bruges, email me.

Here you can find already a lot of information: www.brugge.be (it's in 4 languages and english is among them)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2006, 01:35 PM   #15
rmorin49
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335d/10 Z4 s30i

I agree, if you like beer and fun-loving people you have to go to OctoberFest in Munich. Also, I think the new BMW museum in Munich should be open by next September. Be sure to save some time to visit. It is well worth it based on my visit to the old one. Driving on the autobahn can be fun but a bit scary for newbies. Do not, repeat, do not stay in the left hand lane unless you are going at least 130 mph. It is amazing how fast a car approaching at 140 appears if you are only going 90 mph. Have a blast!!
2011 335d BS/Oyster/PP/CWP/NAV/ipod/USB(Daily Driver) 30+ mpg(retired)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2006, 05:11 PM   #16
Craigito
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4   [10.00]
If i'm on the Autobahn I should be able to go much faster than 70 correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydiamight
A really good European "mapping" website is www.mappy.com. According to them Munich to Spa is 430 miles---although I only put the centre of each town in rather than the actual addresses. Out of that 430 miles around 425 is on Autobahn (Freeway) Mappy.com suggests a journey time of 6hrs 25 minutes which I think is reasonable. You will have to average just under 70 to make this time---without any stops.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2006, 05:19 PM   #17
Craigito
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4   [10.00]
Thanks for the reply. I thought of Octoberfest as well, but the Belgium Grand Prix is the last race of the season in Europe and I REALLY wan't to do that. Maybe on my next ED. I will definately check out the museum. I might do the plant tour as well as someone else suggested. You can only reserve within 6 months of the date so i'll have to wait a bit. I wonder how fast I can go during break in period. I wonder what speed sixth gear is at 4000 rpm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin49
I agree, if you like beer and fun-loving people you have to go to OctoberFest in Munich. Also, I think the new BMW museum in Munich should be open by next September. Be sure to save some time to visit. It is well worth it based on my visit to the old one. Driving on the autobahn can be fun but a bit scary for newbies. Do not, repeat, do not stay in the left hand lane unless you are going at least 130 mph. It is amazing how fast a car approaching at 140 appears if you are only going 90 mph. Have a blast!!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2006, 06:36 PM   #18
krafty04
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 04 Jeep Gr. Cherokee Overland

Your doing a ED with only 4 days not including travel days? brotha' you need to make some changes.... our first ED in 04 was 7 days... now this one in May will be 10 days... and thats not counting travel days...

Like said earlier traveling eastbound is hell on the body. Break in is not over 4000 rpms OR 100 mph, whichever is LESS. Save the track time for your home track.

Make sure insurance and ALL documents are up to snuff, carry copies of EVERYTHING... ONe mispelling on a fax cost us 6 hours delay. If it was Friday, it would have been a Monday delivery. Try to get yours Thrusday so if any problems, you have Friday for buffer.

Keep doing research, and get Navi... trust me....

Good luck,
Krafty
04 325 (sold)
98 318ti (daughters ride now)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2006, 08:29 PM   #19
Craigito
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4   [10.00]
I would love to extend it, but like I said in the OP, I'll have the daddy of a new born with me and I'm trying not to piss off his wife too much..(even though she's a big F1 . I'm just lucky my buddy is going to go period so I have to be sensitive to his family.

This is honestly a once every 7 year deal so i'm not too worried about the effect on my body..we're both early 30's so we can roll with the punches pretty good. With some Jack and Cokes and playing grab ass with the Stewardess' the time will go by quick .

I'm going to head some of your guys' recommendations to extend the trip. Maybe I can squeeze a Day out of it. Wed to Tuesday. This will give me a an extra day afer the race weekend to get the car to the drop off on Monday and then hang out in Munich on Monday and whatever part of Tuesday we get depending on the flight time. It sounds like from you guys the quick turnaround is gonna be pretty rough on the body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krafty04
Your doing a ED with only 4 days not including travel days? brotha' you need to make some changes.... our first ED in 04 was 7 days... now this one in May will be 10 days... and thats not counting travel days...

Like said earlier traveling eastbound is hell on the body. Break in is not over 4000 rpms OR 100 mph, whichever is LESS. Save the track time for your home track.

Make sure insurance and ALL documents are up to snuff, carry copies of EVERYTHING... ONe mispelling on a fax cost us 6 hours delay. If it was Friday, it would have been a Monday delivery. Try to get yours Thrusday so if any problems, you have Friday for buffer.

Keep doing research, and get Navi... trust me....

Good luck,
Krafty
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2006, 09:55 PM   #20
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

It is once in a lifetime, even if you are lucky enough to go back again and again. You are nuts to only take 4 days. There is to much to do and see. Get several hundred miles on your car and then don't worry too much about the 4k rpm limit -- just don't burn it for long periods. There are many great write-ups of ED trips here and on Bimmerfest.
Appreciate 0